Blocking Oxytocin For Women

alywest

I know that @haidut has already mentioned several studies and a lot of information regarding the fact that oxytocin is not the "love hormone" that the medical industry has made it out to be (ie. women are told that it is the factor responsible for bonding with your newborn baby.)

In light of even more research showing the negative effects of oxytocin, specifically for women, I am wondering if anyone knows of drugs or supplements that effectively block oxytocin, as the study shows that "oxytocin blocking drugs" are effective yet they won't be available for some time until the FDA approves, yada yada yada.

Oxytocin receptors in the anteromedial bed nucleus of the stria terminalis promote stress-induced social avoidance in females

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(17)31987-X/abstract

haidut

Forum Supporter
I know that @haidut has already mentioned several studies and a lot of information regarding the fact that oxytocin is not the "love hormone" that the medical industry has made it out to be (ie. women are told that it is the factor responsible for bonding with your newborn baby.)

In light of even more research showing the negative effects of oxytocin, specifically for women, I am wondering if anyone knows of drugs or supplements that effectively block oxytocin, as the study shows that "oxytocin blocking drugs" are effective yet they won't be available for some time until the FDA approves, yada yada yada.

Oxytocin receptors in the anteromedial bed nucleus of the stria terminalis promote stress-induced social avoidance in females

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(17)31987-X/abstract

I think progesterone is an oxytocin antagonist.

OP
alywest

alywest

Just a crazy thought, but I wonder if somehow the fact that blocking oxytocin is good for women but not so good for males potentially explains in some small part why progesterone isn't necessarily as helpful for men as it is for women when it comes to the post SSRI issues for example.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just a crazy thought, but I wonder if somehow the fact that blocking oxytocin is good for women but not so good for males potentially explains in some small part why progesterone isn't necessarily as helpful for men as it is for women when it comes to the post SSRI issues for example.

Why do you say blocking oxytocin is not good for males? I have seen quite a few studies, some of them with human males, showing oxytocin increases aggression, homicidal behavior, and even cannibalism among males.

OP
alywest

alywest

Why do you say blocking oxytocin is not good for males? I have seen quite a few studies, some of them with human males, showing oxytocin increases aggression, homicidal behavior, and even cannibalism among males.

According to the article I read in the daily mail which led me to the study:

oxytocin seems to work in same areas of the male mice's brains more as a 'social reward,' than to induce anxiety. When they gave the male mice the targeted oxytocin aggravator, it had no significant effect. But when the blocker was administered 'all over,' the males actually had 'reduced social behavior,' he says.

This aligns with the researchers' observation that bullying also affected the males differently than it did the females.

While females became socially avoidant, males became more erratic in familiar environments, like their own cages, and had trouble with cognitive flexibility, or learning how to play the same game when a rule was changed.

Trainor says this could have to do with the different hormones present in each sex. Just like humans, female mice experience different hormone fluctuations with their ovarian cycles, for example, than do the males.

Read more: So-called 'love' hormone can make you fear new experiences | Daily Mail Online

Serotoninja

Off topic but is there a "love" hormone according to Peat? Or is it only a pro-dopamine state in which stress hormones are low?

OP
alywest

alywest

Off topic but is there a "love" hormone according to Peat? Or is it only a pro-dopamine state in which stress hormones are low?

Well if there is a love hormone, it ain't oxytocin! However, I think I read him say that many of his patients tell him that "thyroid is love." Perhaps having some after being deficient for a long time they feel warmer, calmer, more content, kind of like love. I associate oxytocin's "love" with irrational emotions that cause you to perhaps obsess over someone instead of truly caring for them. Perhaps oxytocin induced "mother love" is really nature's way of making us fiercely protective and focus on the baby above all else, like a crazed momma bear.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Good, so the good old dopamine agonists and serotonin antagonist are also in the list of things that could help (once again).