Blocking Adrenaline Activity May Reduce Autism Symptoms

haidut

Forum Supporter
As discussed many times on the forum, autism is likely a condition triggered by maternal stress during pregnancy so in theory it can be prevented. However, once established in the child there are no official therapies approved for it. I posted some studies on blocking serotonin curing autism in animal models. This human study shows that blocking adrenaline signalling can also improve symptoms. So, I guess the stress reaction from pregnancy continues in the child and opposing the stress mechanism can be beneficial.
The interesting thing is that the positive effects of blocking the stress signalling by using beta-blockers were known even back in 1987 but there was not much interest in replicating the results. I guess the fact that propranolol is generic and dirt cheap contributes to this lack of interest.

Blood pressure medicine may improve conversational skills of individuals with autism

"...Led by Rachel Zamzow, graduate student with the MU Center for Translational Neuroscience, 20 individuals with autism were recruited from the MU Thompson Center and given either a 40-milligram dose of propranolol or a placebo pill. An hour after administration, the researchers had a structured conversation with the participants, scoring their performance on six social skills necessary to maintain a conversation: staying on topic, sharing information, reciprocity or shared conversation, transitions or interruptions, nonverbal communication and maintaining eye contact. The researchers found the total communication scores were significantly greater when the individual took propranolol compared to the placebo."

m_arch

As discussed many times on the forum, autism is likely a condition triggered by maternal stress during pregnancy so in theory it can be prevented. However, once established in the child there are no official therapies approved for it. I posted some studies on blocking serotonin curing autism in animal models. This human study shows that blocking adrenaline signalling can also improve symptoms. So, I guess the stress reaction from pregnancy continues in the child and opposing the stress mechanism can be beneficial.
The interesting thing is that the positive effects of blocking the stress signalling by using beta-blockers were known even back in 1987 but there was not much interest in replicating the results. I guess the fact that propranolol is generic and dirt cheap contributes to this lack of interest.

Blood pressure medicine may improve conversational skills of individuals with autism

"...Led by Rachel Zamzow, graduate student with the MU Center for Translational Neuroscience, 20 individuals with autism were recruited from the MU Thompson Center and given either a 40-milligram dose of propranolol or a placebo pill. An hour after administration, the researchers had a structured conversation with the participants, scoring their performance on six social skills necessary to maintain a conversation: staying on topic, sharing information, reciprocity or shared conversation, transitions or interruptions, nonverbal communication and maintaining eye contact. The researchers found the total communication scores were significantly greater when the individual took propranolol compared to the placebo."
Hi haidut, my gf finds it hard to function with out betablockers. Her rhr is around 100 and on betablockers, it's around 70. do you think long term betablocker use is healthy? Are there more 'natural' alternatives to oppose the adrenalin?

m_arch

My understanding is also that beta-blockers stop adrenaline at the receptor - from being 'accepted', however it doesn't stop people from creating the adrenalin, so the adrenalin is still floating around in the body (and hence why people who come off beta-blockers get heart attacks)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi haidut, my gf finds it hard to function with out betablockers. Her rhr is around 100 and on betablockers, it's around 70. do you think long term betablocker use is healthy? Are there more 'natural' alternatives to oppose the adrenalin?

I think clonidine is a safer and more beneficial drug. Also, I think it lowers the production of adrenaline and not just blocking its "receptor".

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My understanding is also that beta-blockers stop adrenaline at the receptor - from being 'accepted', however it doesn't stop people from creating the adrenalin, so the adrenalin is still floating around in the body (and hence why people who come off beta-blockers get heart attacks)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. That is why a drug like clonidine is usually better as it lowers the actual production of adrenaline, so it has a much more systemic effect.

blob69

@m_arch May I suggest pregnenolone as well? It can work incredibly well for adrenaline/anxiety. If I'm stressed, it lowers my resting heart rate for about 10-15 points if I take high amounts (up to a gram). I suppose it's fixing some hormonal imbalance as opposed to beta blockers that just suppress symptoms.

golder

Oh and clonidine strangely doesn't do much for me...
At what dose? I may try the 1g of pregnenolone. Extreme, but I'm curious to see if has a noticeable blunting effect on adrenaline.

golder

High adrenaline compensates for low thyroid. Propranolol should always been followed up with thyroid.
Thanks. Next step is to try to increase my sensitivity to thyroid. Hopefully a combination of propranolol, vitamin D3 and T3 will help a lot. Thanks for the insight.

Michael Mohn

Thanks. Next step is to try to increase my sensitivity to thyroid. Hopefully a combination of propranolol, vitamin D3 and T3 will help a lot. Thanks for the insight.
Propranolol can be very effective with only one or a few doses. For stage fright a single dose of 40mg is recommended. I took it for ten days at 20mg daily and 80% of the benefit came after 3-4days. Propranolol blocks the uptake of iodine into the thyroid therefore I wouldn't recommend long-term use. If you don't feel something after one or two doses you can drop it.

golder

Propranolol can be very effective with only one or a few doses. For stage fright a single dose of 40mg is recommended. I took it for ten days at 20mg daily and 80% of the benefit came after 3-4days. Propranolol blocks the uptake of iodine into the thyroid therefore I wouldn't recommend long-term use. If you don't feel something after one or two doses you can drop it.
Amazing, cheers for this. Did the anti-adrenaline effects of the propranolol seem to continue after your ten day usage? Or do you continue to take it?
Can you offer a comparison between clonidine and propranolol? Thanks!

Michael Mohn

Amazing, cheers for this. Did the anti-adrenaline effects of the propranolol seem to continue after your ten day usage? Or do you continue to take it?
Can you offer a comparison between clonidine and propranolol? Thanks!
I never tried clonidine. Propranolol is widely prescribed against high blood pressure so it's easy to get a prescription. I don't think I could get a prescription for clonidine and my doctor was quite open minded. The effects of propranolol persisted after my 10 day intervention. Before I had a very strong adrenaline response to a stressful situation, especially emotional stress like anger would trigger a level of rage that was difficult to control. This has completely vanished. Being patient has become natural. It feels like a change of personality. I think you must first increase thyroid function and metabolism though to feel the benefit. Lowering stress with good diet, good sleep, sunlight, pregnenolone, thyroid & cyproheptadine have paved the way for propranolol to do its job.