Bloated Belly

T

tca300

@tca300 how is your water retention going? im still struggling a bit with it. Trying so much to experiment with amount of salt and all that but its hard for sure. You get so much milk so i get all that potassium helps a lot
My water retention is low. Too much fat seems to increase it some, or irritating foods. I think energy insufficiency is one of the main causes ( not eating enough, using too many things that push the metabolic rate too high in relation to food consumption, etc.. )

Bart1

I think energy insufficiency is one of the main causes ( not eating enough, using too many things that push the metabolic rate too high in relation to food consumption, etc.. )
After a couple of months trying to apply some peat principles, this is my experience as wel. I think I moved to quickly into food and supplements that push metabolism to hard. Introducing sugar, salt, thyroid, coffee, aspirin, vitamin ADKE , taurine etc to quickly, I feel my body could not keep up, with a high stress response as a result. I have a lot of bloating right now and blood sugar imbalance, insomnia. I’m trying now to tone things down a little; hope it helps but I seem to have activated a high stress state and it’s very difficult to get out, cause I’m hypothyroid.

So for me bloating started with activation of a high stress response

Herbie

Also, at least for me alcohol never caused me issues and since I actually get health benefits if I don't get drunk, just buzzed. And I have distinct recollections of waking up after a night of drinking and admiring my Adonis like physique when I woke up - no bloat, no bubbles in my urine. Wait, is it protective against the stress of darkness???

Which didn't make any damn sense to me since all I hear is how alcohol is what makes people look shitty when its definitely PUFAs.

As to why the beer > belly relationship exists I wonder if people have the cart before the horse. If you're dealing with a lot of intestinal inflammation, you probably want more alcohol. I've seen a lot of guys who have bloated guts who don't drink and still others with lean bodies that drink a lot.

Just throwing some musings out here, but I was thinking about all this because I've wondered where that beer belly myth originated and I've been hearing it all my life.

Maybe I'm wrong too - but I think we've just had it ingrained in our heads how bad alcohol is from a bunch of horseshit propoganda. Reading historical writings, people drank like fishes. And then you look at old timey photographs and they look great.

This is good insight.

I have had what appears to be a huge anti inflammatory response from drinking beer.

T

tca300

@tca300

How often do you urinate?

I am fascinated how you are able to drink the amounts you do.
Maybe 5 times per day, I also drink about two quarts of water. My temperature/pulse is usually quite high, and a higher metabolism uses more water, so I think thats why I do ok with lots of liquid while others dont.

Herbie

Maybe 5 times per day, I also drink about two quarts of water. My temperature/pulse is usually quite high, and a higher metabolism uses more water, so I think thats why I do ok with lots of liquid while others dont.

Thats interesting, my metabolism seems ok and I only drink about 1-2 litres of liquid per day and I live in a dry climate and urinate the same amount with the good volume, we are not all the same, are you tall?

T

tca300

Thats interesting, my metabolism seems ok and I only drink about 1-2 litres of liquid per day and I live in a dry climate and urinate the same amount with the good volume, we are not all the same, are you tall?
I'm only five foot nine. My temps are consistently 99°+ and my pulse 90-100bpm though. I sweat a decent amount, I feel very warm.

Herbie

I'm only five foot nine. My temps are consistently 99°+ and my pulse 90-100bpm though. I sweat a decent amount, I feel very warm.

I'm 5'6 and have resting heart beat of 85-90, not sure about temperature, don't have a measuring device. I am not physically active though.

It's a lot of protein for sure, ideally more carbohydrates in place of protein would be ideal, but because of my specific situation, its my best option, and Peat has agreed that with my specific context, its my best road to take. I also am very active, so the effects of a high protein diet on myself vs a couch potato are likely different.

Have you ever tried lactose powder as a carbohydrate supplement? Seems to be a safer way for you to get more carbs in without bloating.

Lactose

Mauritio

My water retention is low. Too much fat seems to increase it some, or irritating foods. I think energy insufficiency is one of the main causes ( not eating enough, using too many things that push the metabolic rate too high in relation to food consumption, etc.. )

Yep, big time. Was my experience as well .This is why I and so many others experience bad reactions to supplements that push metabolism.

tomisonbottom

It's a lot of protein for sure, ideally more carbohydrates in place of protein would be ideal, but because of my specific situation, its my best option, and Peat has agreed that with my specific context, its my best road to take. I also am very active, so the effects of a high protein diet on myself vs a couch potato are likely different.

Wow, did Peat say why oj or other fruits would be problematic for you?

Are you still eating this way; only milk, liver and oysters?

T

tca300

Wow, did Peat say why oj or other fruits would be problematic for you?

Are you still eating this way; only milk, liver and oysters?
Ray knows I have inherited a rare aldolase B defect. Yes, Milk, and liver. I haven't had oysters in a few months though.

Vins7

I have been dealing with this problem of lower belly bloating for a long time and I don't associate it with gas. It's low belly and it's not fat, I'm slim.

Did you manage to fix it?
I look like this guy.

Interestingly B1 can bring down the bloated gut but not very long. I know Peat says sodium is essential in edema. I've always salted to taste but can popping some sodium pills be a possible solution? Maybe my taste buds don't know if I'm getting enough salt?

I have been dealing with this problem of lower belly bloating for a long time and I don't associate it with gas. It's low belly and it's not fat, I'm slim.

Did you manage to fix it?

OP
K

kyle

@Vins7 and others that were wondering, I did find a fix. I can say starch is the essential problem. Been experimenting with completely abstaining from starch on and off past year or so and was amazed to go from big protruding belly to completely trim seemingly over a few days time. That means no no wheat or other grains, even white rice and potatoes.

Last couple nights I thought I'd try making some chips by deep frying tortillas in fat. The ingredients were corn with lime and xanthan gum, not ideal but how bad could it be? Little did I know I'd wake up with a big bloated belly (also had a harder time going to sleep). This isn't the first time I've observed the big bloating yo-yo effect - during my experimentations I'd cave in and eat a huge bowl of chiptole, pho or toast and reap the bloat the next couple days.

It's a bit shocking how quickly the inflammation happens and the huge contrast. I feel constant pressure in my entire abdomen like I'm pushing out my belly when two days ago my stomach was flat and relaxed. So yes, after all this time I at least understand a bit more about the cause. After a few days of no starch it subsides. Looking at the date when I posted this to now it's a bit shocking to see how long it took me start to see more clearly. I guess having a starch on the plate has always been such a normal part of meals the blinders were on.

Vins7

@Vins7 and others that were wondering, I did find a fix. I can say starch is the essential problem. Been experimenting with completely abstaining from starch on and off past year or so and was amazed to go from big protruding belly to completely trim seemingly over a few days time. That means no no wheat or other grains, even white rice and potatoes.

Last couple nights I thought I'd try making some chips by deep frying tortillas in fat. The ingredients were corn with lime and xanthan gum, not ideal but how bad could it be? Little did I know I'd wake up with a big bloated belly (also had a harder time going to sleep). This isn't the first time I've observed the big bloating yo-yo effect - during my experimentations I'd cave in and eat a huge bowl of chiptole, pho or toast and reap the bloat the next couple days.

It's a bit shocking how quickly the inflammation happens and the huge contrast. I feel constant pressure in my entire abdomen like I'm pushing out my belly when two days ago my stomach was flat and relaxed. So yes, after all this time I at least understand a bit more about the cause. After a few days of no starch it subsides. Looking at the date when I posted this to now it's a bit shocking to see how long it took me start to see more clearly. I guess having a starch on the plate has always been such a normal part of meals the blinders were on.
Hey Kyle! Thank you for sharing.

This summer I could notice the same, days without starch are days with less bloating but when I do 0 starch I feel I need it, I don't know what to eat and I think I overate animal protein for not being hungry. With more animal protein I have less bloating but my digestion it's not really good.

Could you tell me about why are you eating for avoiding starch and avoiding bloating? What are your carb sources?

OP
K

kyle

From milk, apples and bananas. I like oranges if I feel dehydrated. Sometimes I have ice cream or honey.

I think eating fruit with dairy (cheese always pairs well) or meat makes it more satiating and nourishing such that I don't feel any hunger for starchy dishes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals