Bloat Tips

Tarmander

I wanted to create a post where we could share some of the information about bloating that may come along with changing diet and metabolism. I have added some points from myself that were crucial to my understand of what has caused, and resolved bloating for me. I no longer suffer any bloating or stomach distension and have had compliments that I seem skinnier. I have not actually lost any weight.

•Milk in large amounts almost always causes bloating. Orange juice does the same to a lesser effect, and mixing the two at the same time definitely causes bloating. I have not found a way to get around the milk bloating other then to really space out my milk intake.

•I have resolved my orange juice bloating by diluting the orange juice with half water, and adding around a teaspoon of salt for every quart I drink. I have found that drinking this mixture actually causes less bloating then drinking the same amount of just pure orange juice with salt added. Something about adding the water aids in hydration and prevents bloating. I think dehydration at least contributes to bloating, and perhaps straight orange juice and salt both dehydrate you too much, which the added water ameliorates.

•I no longer eat a large meal in the morning. I used to do a meal/eggs, orange juice, milk, coffee, and all my vitamins. In other words, it was a crap ton of food and liquid. Part of my thinking for having a large meal in the morning was that stress hormones were highest, and so getting as much in as possible would lower these the fastest. What I have found is in fact it is the opposite case. Stress hormones are the highest in the morning, but stomach acid is the lowest (in my opinion), and hydration is the lowest (edema is highest in the morning). This means you are actually at your least capable of handling a large amount of nutrients in the morning. I have moved some of my vitamins to the night time and spaced out the food I eat. As soon as I get full in the morning, I stop eating and eat later. I can eat a much bigger lunch then I can breakfast. This tip, to have a smaller breakfast and a larger lunch, has made a huge huge difference for me in the bloat battle.

•Last but not least, MB seems to be THE supplement for bloating. I take it in the morning with food and it is almost like I cannot get bloated even if I try. It seems to even prevent the bloating from milk, which is astounding. I did not notice this the first time I tried MB, but since starting it up again a short period ago, and going off and on it, the difference in stomach distension is huge.

Feel free to add your own tips on preventing bloating.

Mandy BoBandy

This is really helpful. I think milk bloats me up too, and interesting about OJ, water and salt. What about activated charcoal - does/would that help too?

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

This is really helpful. I think milk bloats me up too, and interesting about OJ, water and salt. What about activated charcoal - does/would that help too?

I haven't ever tried charcoal, I never liked the whole thing about it sucking up vitamins. But I should give it a go, it has some good evidence behind it. If you try it let us know

tomisonbottom

I wanted to create a post where we could share some of the information about bloating that may come along with changing diet and metabolism. I have added some points from myself that were crucial to my understand of what has caused, and resolved bloating for me. I no longer suffer any bloating or stomach distension and have had compliments that I seem skinnier. I have not actually lost any weight.

•Milk in large amounts almost always causes bloating. Orange juice does the same to a lesser effect, and mixing the two at the same time definitely causes bloating. I have not found a way to get around the milk bloating other then to really space out my milk intake.

•I have resolved my orange juice bloating by diluting the orange juice with half water, and adding around a teaspoon of salt for every quart I drink. I have found that drinking this mixture actually causes less bloating then drinking the same amount of just pure orange juice with salt added. Something about adding the water aids in hydration and prevents bloating. I think dehydration at least contributes to bloating, and perhaps straight orange juice and salt both dehydrate you too much, which the added water ameliorates.
Have you noticed a difference in fresh squeezed vs store bought OJ? Which one are you referring to when you say you dilute it?

DrJ

Don't eat fiber.

Don't consume much starch.

Take activated charcoal regularly to keep bowel clean.

Ewelina

Spot on dr J! My bloating started when I introduced copious amounts of fruit and coconut flower. There is nothing more inflammatory for me like a big serving of starch or fiber. I pay for it for the next couple of days.

Wagner83

I think he is using betain hcl with great effects, like he said in his last few posts. He said digestion was great and curiosity for new activities, creative endeavours etc.., all went way up.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@Tarmander do you still use MB for the bloating?
Sorry, totally did not see this from back in October. Have not used MB for awhile. Tried it out again after being off it for a year and it made me feel a bit strung out, so left it. I am currently doing what Wagner said, although I am now testing out the raw carrot and kind of running into a brick wall...tired, bad mood. Not sure if I should try and push through and keep eating it, or let it go as something that just doesn't work for me.

johnsmith

I stopped using MB (Oxidal) in the morning because aren't you supposed to avoid using it at the same time as coffee?

Eggs seem to cause bloating for me, not as much if I just eat the yoke, but I stopped them all together recently. I was worried my no-name gelatin (bulkbarn) was doing the same so I stopped that also.