Blackstrap Molasses & ACV?

BrianF

About 12 years ago, in an attempt to limit my grey hairs or even reverse them, I experimented with Blackstrap Molasses and Apple Cider Vinegar as I'd read it somewhere that this would do the job.

I did not keep this up long enough to find out if it would actually reverse my greying hair but there was one unexpected, but pleasant, surprise. I had for many years been suffering with hard skin on the heel of my foot that would regularly split and cause a lot of pain - but it disappeared completely and I'm not really sure why, but I think it was something to do with the high levels of Magnesium, Potasium and even Calcium in the Blackstrap Molasses.

I'm still struggling with the hard skin on my heel (only the right foot, never the left) and I'm considering giving it another trial. Only thing is, Backstrap is high in iron and I've been getting my iron levels down for the last 2 years with blood donation and trying to eat less red meat and drinking coffee when I do eat it. Along with other dietary effects, less PUFA, less starch etc, I feel pretty good right now.

I do however wonder if the high levels of Mag and Calcium would actually block some of the Iron uptake, especially if I consumed it with coffee. Anyone want to throw in their two bobs worth (ten cents worth to you yanks)?

OP
B

BrianF

I simply poured a small amount of water into a cup, added 2 spoonfuls of ACV and then swallowed it. I don't really like the taste but I can stomach pretty much anything in the pursuit of health. Naturally, I washed it down with another swig of water. Sour to say the least, even in water.

somuch4food

Depending on the rest of your diet, it's a minimal intake. The benefits of the other minerals could easily outweight the iron content.

PeatReader

I had for many years been suffering with hard skin on the heel of my foot that would regularly split and cause a lot of pain - but it disappeared completely and I'm not really sure why, but I think it was something to do with the high levels of Magnesium, Potasium and even Calcium in the Blackstrap Molasses.

@BrianF How are your heels today? Did you ever retry the molasses to confirm the heel healing ability?

OP
B

BrianF

@BrianF How are your heels today? Did you ever retry the molasses to confirm the heel healing ability?

Very pertinent question - I think now that it was the vinegar that was the key.

I have been experimenting with vinegar only and I can confirm that it certainly helps on its own. Maybe the molasses added something to it, but the vinegar (pure white or ACV) doesn't really matter works on its own.

This year, I was using vinegar daily during the July, August and it completely healed. Then I stopped and within a few weeks it came back. Now back on the vinegar and the heels are healing again, getting softer. It works.

PeatReader

This year, I was using vinegar daily during the July, August and it completely healed.

Thanks for that update. How much vinegar are you taking per day? And just to be clear, you're drinking it right, not applying it topically?

OP
B

BrianF

Thanks for that update. How much vinegar are you taking per day? And just to be clear, you're drinking it right, not applying it topically?

When I was taking it in July and August, I must have been taking at least 4 teaspoons a day, maybe half in the morning and half with a meal, spread on the food. This dosage shows a very quick and thorough improvement,

At the moment, Im taking about 2-3 spoonfuls with a meal, over food, but not every day. This has resulted in a slower recovery.

I realise that to most people, its very difficult to stomach, but I'd eat four spoons of dog ***t a day if it guaranteed me good health. I just do it.