Black Tea And Androstenedione Levels

Herbie

This study was done on postmenopausal Chinese women on black and green tea and it showed that the black tea drinkers had to highest Androstenedione also the highest estrone and estradiol depending on comt genotype.

Some people dismiss black tea due to estrogen concerns but it also increases Androstenedione according to the study results which leads me to re consider with more questions.

Tea and circulating estrogen levels in postmenopausal Chinese women in Singapore | Carcinogenesis | Oxford Academic

michael94

We received a container of ceylon earl grey as a gift some months ago. It's one of my fav beverages.

bdawg

This study was done on postmenopausal Chinese women on black and green tea and it showed that the black tea drinkers had to highest Androstenedione also the highest estrone and estradiol depending on comt genotype.

Some people dismiss black tea due to estrogen concerns but it also increases Androstenedione according to the study results which leads me to re consider with more questions.

Tea and circulating estrogen levels in postmenopausal Chinese women in Singapore | Carcinogenesis | Oxford Academic

Interesting, however, black tea does not look good from a DHT perspective (5-ar inhibitor) Soy Phytochemicals and Tea Bioactive Components Synergistically Inhibit Androgen-Sensitive Human Prostate Tumors in Mice

And estradiol is terrible

Having said that I love black tea (British habit) and I drop loads of milk into mine whereas the Chinese traditionally drink black tea without milk, I'm hoping the milk deactivates the annoying polyphenols

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Interesting, however, black tea does not look good from a DHT perspective (5-ar inhibitor) Soy Phytochemicals and Tea Bioactive Components Synergistically Inhibit Androgen-Sensitive Human Prostate Tumors in Mice

And estradiol is terrible

Having said that I love black tea (British habit) and I drop loads of milk into mine whereas the Chinese traditionally drink black tea without milk, I'm hoping the milk deactivates the annoying polyphenols

Thanks for the study. I wonder what the case would be if soy phytochemicals were absent.

Combined effects of soy phytochemicals and tea on serum testosterone and DHT concentrations.
Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5α-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT. Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively. The combination of SPC and green tea reduced serum levels of DHT (P < 0.05).

I enjoy black tea with milk and sugar.

Last edited:

bdawg

Thanks for the study. I wonder what the case would be if soy phytochemicals were absent.

Combined effects of soy phytochemicals and tea on serum testosterone and DHT concentrations.
Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5α-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT. Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively. The combination of SPC and green tea reduced serum levels of DHT (P < 0.05).

I wonder what the case would be if soy phytochemicals were absent.

I enjoy black tea with milk and sugar.

I'm highly suss about the DHT raising effects of green tea.. puts that entire study in doubt for me

Though i think black tea contains theaflavins which green tea doesnt have

Wagner83

Green Tea And Dht

With serum levels of hormones I'm never sure what to do, does that mean the tissues use less , is the body adapting to the raise in estrogens ?

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I'm highly suss about the DHT raising effects of green tea.. puts that entire study in doubt for me

Though i think black tea contains theaflavins which green tea doesnt have

Yeah its hard to get any answers from it, normal practice is to brew the tea for 3-5 minutes and consume otherwise the polyphenols make the tea too bitter.

From the study you posted: Tea infusions were prepared by extracting tea leaves with boiling water (100°C) twice for 10 min.

Theaflavins in black tea and catechins in green tea are equally effective antioxidants. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Green Tea And Dht

With serum levels of hormones I'm never sure what to do, does that mean the tissues use less , is the body adapting to the raise in estrogens ?

Im not sure, It could be from the inhibition of glucuronidation. http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/12/02/green-tea-and-estrogen/

The Link you posted to which Haidut posted: Lower Androgens And/or Increase In Pituitary Hormones Linked To Increased Mortality In Men

This is what keeps me curious: "Compared with intermediate/high testosterone and estradiol, combined low testosterone and low estradiol were linked to an increased risk for all-cause mortality"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals