Black Pepper Piper Nigrum Increases Serotonin Synthesis

The spice black pepper and white pepper and it's extract Piperine - the bioavailability booster - has serotonergic effects, increasing its synthesis or inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin.

Stimulation of serotonin synthesis in rat brain after antiepilepsirine, an antiepileptic piperine derivative. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Piperine and two of its derivatives, antiepilepsirine (AE or 3,4-methylendioxycynnamoylpiperine) and compound 7448 (N-isopropyl 3 (4 chloro-phenyl) propenoylamide) are very effective in stimulating serotonin (5HT) synthesis. AE raises the ratio of free-to-bound tryptophan (TP) in plasma and induces a long-lasting increase of this aminoacid in brain. At the same time in striatum and limbic area it causes a lasting increase in 5 hydroxyindolacetic acid (5HIAA) a 5HT metabolite and to a lesser extent, an increase in the levels of the monoamine itself. Together with this action on 5HT metabolism we found that AE caused release of 3H-5HT from an in vitro synaptosomal preparation. It thus appears that piperine and its derivatives AE and compound 7148 affect the central serotonergic system.

It is a shame, coz it also is thyrogenic:

In animals fed a high-fat diet, piperine improved levels of T3, T4, and TSH (12; 15).

Last edited:

xeliex

Forum Supporter
The spice black pepper and white pepper and it's extract Piperine - the bioavailability booster - has serotonergic effects, increasing its synthesis or inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin.

Stimulation of serotonin synthesis in rat brain after antiepilepsirine, an antiepileptic piperine derivative. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Piperine and two of its derivatives, antiepilepsirine (AE or 3,4-methylendioxycynnamoylpiperine) and compound 7448 (N-isopropyl 3 (4 chloro-phenyl) propenoylamide) are very effective in stimulating serotonin (5HT) synthesis. AE raises the ratio of free-to-bound tryptophan (TP) in plasma and induces a long-lasting increase of this aminoacid in brain. At the same time in striatum and limbic area it causes a lasting increase in 5 hydroxyindolacetic acid (5HIAA) a 5HT metabolite and to a lesser extent, an increase in the levels of the monoamine itself. Together with this action on 5HT metabolism we found that AE caused release of 3H-5HT from an in vitro synaptosomal preparation. It thus appears that piperine and its derivatives AE and compound 7148 affect the central serotonergic system.

In animals fed a high-fat diet, piperine improved levels of T3, T4, and TSH (12; 15).

Thank you, looking into the research to weigh the risks vs benefits

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Abstract

Excellent findings. Thank you.

akgrrrl

Abstract

3 months now I have just been FLYING HIGH in energy after a morning cup of boiling water over creamed coconut, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and black pepper oil. Jeezo-Peat , Orange, didja have ta go and let the air outta my ride? Dang it.

OP
General Orange
3 months now I have just been FLYING HIGH in energy after a morning cup of boiling water over creamed coconut, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and black pepper oil. Jeezo-Peat , Orange, didja have ta go and let the air outta my ride? Dang it.
No worries, black pepper oil does not contain the Piperine.

OP
General Orange
But what's interesting about the pepper oil is, smelling it's fragrance seems to be exiting and it is measured that it increase adrenaline:

Effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults. - PubMed - NCBI
"We investigated the effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adult subjects using both power spectral analysis of blood pressure fluctuations and measurement of plasma catecholamine levels.
Fragrance inhalation of essential oils, such as pepper oil, estragon oil, fennel oil or grapefruit oil, resulted in 1.5- to 2.5-fold increase in relative sympathetic activity, representing low frequency amplitude of systolic blood pressure (SBP-LF amplitude), compared with inhalation of an odorless solvent, triethyl citrate (P<0.05, each).
In contrast, fragrance inhalation of rose oil or patchouli oil caused a 40% decrease in relative sympathetic activity (P<0.01, each).
Fragrance inhalation of pepper oil induced a 1.7-fold increase in plasma adrenaline concentration compared with the resting state (P = 0.06), while fragrance inhalation of rose oil caused a 30% decrease in adrenaline concentration (P<0.01).
Our results indicate that fragrance inhalation of essential oils may modulate sympathetic activity in normal adults."

- maybe that's why you are flying so high ?

akgrrrl

But what's interesting about the pepper oil is, smelling it's fragrance seems to be exiting and it is measured that it increase adrenaline:

Effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults. - PubMed - NCBI
"We investigated the effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adult subjects using both power spectral analysis of blood pressure fluctuations and measurement of plasma catecholamine levels.
Fragrance inhalation of essential oils, such as pepper oil, estragon oil, fennel oil or grapefruit oil, resulted in 1.5- to 2.5-fold increase in relative sympathetic activity, representing low frequency amplitude of systolic blood pressure (SBP-LF amplitude), compared with inhalation of an odorless solvent, triethyl citrate (P<0.05, each).
In contrast, fragrance inhalation of rose oil or patchouli oil caused a 40% decrease in relative sympathetic activity (P<0.01, each).
Fragrance inhalation of pepper oil induced a 1.7-fold increase in plasma adrenaline concentration compared with the resting state (P = 0.06), while fragrance inhalation of rose oil caused a 30% decrease in adrenaline concentration (P<0.01).
Our results indicate that fragrance inhalation of essential oils may modulate sympathetic activity in normal adults."

- maybe that's why you are flying so high ?
Aye...it could be---the whole drink is just vibrant with fat and sugar and spice. And I do love the smell of the pepper a lot. When the hot water hits it in the cup and it wafts up, I just know it is amplifying the curcuminoids in the turmeric, and the hot water activates the cinnamon and ginger and I get a nice warm rush soon after a halfcup ....

Bump. Wondering how bad taking 10mg piperine daily would be in terms of increasing serotonin, vs improvement of gaba and dopamine and improved bioavailability of most supplements I take.

cdg

How much of each are you using? Thanks

akgrrrl

How much of each are you using? Thanks
I blended in equal amounts, Ceylon cinnamon, organic powdered ginger, and the best turmeric I could find. I put a rounded tsp in a heated cup with the boiling water,then add Aunt Patties creamed coconut DELICIOUS, and a big spoon of raw honey. The pepper oil I stir in last, 3 drops. Of course the weight of the powders make them sink, so stirring is necessary while consuming

Sativa

I have just been FLYING HIGH in energy after a morning cup of boiling water over creamed coconut, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and black pepper oil.

Turmeric contributes curcumin - a psychoactive fat soluble substance which activates some serotonin 'receptors', cannabinoid 'receptors' & reduces the stress response.
Cinnamon contains an aldehyde which acts as a adrenergic stimulant, & also TRPV1 agonist.
Ginger also contains a 5-HT3 antagonist (blocker) = anti-nausea, and a TRPV1 agonist (releases anandamide - an endocannabinoid)
Black pepper oil contains numerous psychoactive terpenes, including limonene (activates with multiple serotonin 'receptors'); beta-Caryophyllene - a full CB2 agonist, PPAR agonist and modulates the opioid system (THC is only a partial CB2 agonist, and CBD actually 'blocks' the CB2 site); pinene - a 5-HT3 antagonist and AChE inhibitor = more acetylcholine; myrcene - an indirect opioid & generally relaxing inebriating terpene, responsible for some of the intoxicating effects from cannabis.

btw - you could also add cloves which contribute eugenol - this increases blood-brain-barrier absorption, and also contributes psychoactive effects which would synergise with the other ingredients. I use pure eugenol oil.

Here's a broad analysis of the chemical composition of various black pepper cultivars:
The main components of Kottanadan oil were sabinene (11.2–22.6%), β-pinene (7.5–15.4%), limonene (12.7–23.8%) and β-caryophyllene (8.9–24.1%).

Ottaplackal oil contained sabinene (0.1–26.8%) β-pinene (3.8–11.7%), myrcene (0–18.6%), limonene (15.5–21.7%) and β-caryophyllene(15.5–21.7%).

Kuthiravally oil contained β-pinene (3.8–10.9%), limonene (9.0–16.9%) and β-caryophyllene (29.0–46.0%).

Cheriakaniakadan oil was rich in sabinene (9.7–22.3%), β-pinene (7.7–11.2%), limonene (14.7–17.8%) and β-caryophyllene (17.4–23.1%).

Last edited:

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Turmeric contributes curcumin - a psychoactive fat soluble substance which activates some serotonin 'receptors', cannabinoid 'receptors' & reduces the stress response.
Cinnamon contains an aldehyde which acts as a adrenergic stimulant, & also TRPV1 agonist.
Ginger also contains a 5-HT3 antagonist (blocker) = anti-nausea, and a TRPV1 agonist (releases anandamide - an endocannabinoid)
Black pepper oil contains numerous psychoactive terpenes, including limonene (activates with multiple serotonin 'receptors'); beta-Caryophyllene - a full CB2 agonist, PPAR agonist and modulates the opioid system (THC is only a partial CB2 agonist, and CBD actually 'blocks' the CB2 site); pinene - a 5-HT3 antagonist and AChE inhibitor = more acetylcholine; myrcene - an indirect opioid & generally relaxing inebriating terpene, responsible for some of the intoxicating effects from cannabis.

btw - you could also add cloves which contribute eugenol - this increases blood-brain-barrier absorption, and also contributes psychoactive effects which would synergise with the other ingredients. I use pure eugenol oil.

Here's a broad analysis of the chemical composition of various black pepper cultivars:

Absolutely lovely breakdown. Thank you.

Sativa

You should see what all the other myriad of 'aromatic terpenes' can do!
There's some quite neat one's; the combinations are highly interesting avenue of exploration... some wonderful therapeutic/psychoactive/medicinal synergy can be had!

The best serotonin reducing pharmacological action might perhaps be 5-HT1A agonism aka activation. When it gets activated, iirc, it reduces the tone of all the other serotonin 'receptors'.

Of course, minimizing any potentially estrogenic one's. (like linalool I heard?)
(Anyway, nothing some pure vitamin E oil or any other anti-estrogen available can't handle!)

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
You should see what all the other myriad of 'aromatic terpenes' can do!
There's some quite neat one's; the combinations are highly interesting avenue of exploration... some wonderful therapeutic/psychoactive/medicinal synergy can be had!

Of course, minimizing any potentially estrogenic one's. (like linalool I heard?)
(Anyway, nothing some pure vitamin E oil or any other anti-estrogen available can't handle!)

Wicked!! This excites me. Definintely an area I will need to get into.

I am actually wanting to try BLUE SPRUCE essential oil ----> Apparently a decent Testosterone booster?!!? Super excited to trial it.

Sativa

nice, i randomly got some years ago, with the intention of extracting the oils... but never did anything with them!

btw, re steroids/androgens/anabolic avenue:
My own personal experimentation with glucocorticoid antagonists like pregnenolone-16a-carbonitrile, RU486, progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA led me to the theory that there is no such as anabolic hormones, only anticatabolic ones, and the "anabolic" effects from T and AAS are actually the result of their antagonism to cortisol (and potentially estrogen).
"...The data presented suggest that in rats steroids such as testosterone, trenbolone, and RU486 can exhibit anabolic/anti-catabolic activity as a result of their antiglucocorticoid properties. These steroids thus prevent the catabolic action of endogenous glucocorticoids by interacting with the glucocorticoid receptor in muscle. We have previously found [6] that the three steroids bind in vitro to glucocorticoid receptors in rat skeletal muscle."
"...In contrast, there was no evidence that interaction of steroids with the androgen receptor in muscle could mediate their anabolic action.
Progesterone would be my choice for a GR antagonist as per the above studies on structure/activity relationship and the other thread I posted on its antagonism to GR (The Anti-cortisol Mechanism Of Progesterone). In addition, as I posted in another thread, progesterone has proven anabolic effects at least in animal studies (The Anabolic Effects Of Progesterone). Needless to say, Peat has also written a ton on progesterone, of its opposition to cortisol and estrogen, and its role in protecting from tissue destruction.

This implies that all anti-cortisol aka anti-glucocorticoid and all anti-estrogenic substances are anabolic/anti-catabolic :D
Also their would be indirect ones, like substances that modulate the GABA or Glutamate systems...generally calming/sedating substances...

Vitamin E, Salicylic acid, Magnesium, Curcumin (anti-glucocorticoid), German Chamomile etc...

Also... its possible that:
Inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 activity enhances steroidogenesis and steroidogenic acute regulatory gene expression
Which makes salicylic acid & G.Chamomile very attractive since they both interact with COX enzyme.

An even wilder indirect route, would be the use of TRPV1 agonists aka activators!
Cannabinoids usually produce “bell-shaped” dose–response curves. Part of this effect could depend on activation of ion channels named TRPV1, which facilitate, rather than inhibit, glutamate release in several brain regions, including the striatum

Last edited:

Sativa

Here's something else thats deffo relevant regarding enhancing anabolism via production of anabolic/anti-catabolic substances:
Anything that stimulated thyroid function, including thyroid and progesterone stimulates steroid synthesis. Pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA stimulate their own production which is probably one reason why Peat recommends using them and not downstream steroids which tend to inhibit steroid synthesis. For instance both T and DHT tend to block steroid metabolism through a negative feedback mechanism. The more downstream a hormone is the more specific its function and the higher the chance that it triggers negative feedback mechanisms.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
nice, i randomly got some years ago, with the intention of extracting the oils... but never did anything with them!

btw, re steroids/androgens/anabolic avenue:

This implies that all anti-cortisol aka anti-glucocorticoid and all anti-estrogenic substances are anabolic/anti-catabolic :D
Also their would be indirect ones, like substances that modulate the GABA or Glutamate systems...generally calming/sedating substances...

Vitamin E, Salicylic acid, Magnesium, Curcumin (anti-glucocorticoid), German Chamomile etc...

Also... its possible that:
Which makes salicylic acid & G.Chamomile very attractive since they both interact with COX enzyme.

An even wilder indirect route, would be the use of TRPV1 agonists aka activators!

So gooooood!!!

Back
Top Bottom