paymanz

Biotin augments acetyl CoA carboxylase 2 gene expression in the hypothalamus, leading to the suppression of food intake in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

It is known that biotin prevents the development of diabetes by increasing the functions of pancreatic beta-cells and improving insulin sensitivity in the periphery. However, its anti-obesity effects such as anorectic effects remain to be clarified. Acetyl CoA carboxylase (ACC), a biotin-dependent enzyme, has two isoforms (ACC1 and ACC2) and serves to catalyze the reaction of acetyl CoA to malonyl CoA. In the hypothalamus, ACC2 increases the production of malonyl CoA, which acts as a satiety signal. In this study, we investigated whether biotin increases the gene expression of ACC2 in the hypothalamus and suppresses food intake in mice administered excessive biotin. Food intake was significantly decreased by biotin, but plasma regulators of appetite, including glucose, ghrelin, and leptin, were not affected. On the other hand, biotin notably accumulated in the hypothalamus and enhanced ACC2 gene expression there, but it did not change the gene expression of ACC1, malonyl CoA decarboxylase (a malonyl CoA-degrading enzyme), and AMP-activated protein kinase α-2 (an ACC-inhibitory enzyme). These findings strongly suggest that biotin potentiates the suppression of appetite by upregulating ACC2 gene expression in the hypothalamus. This effect of biotin may contribute to the prevention of diabetes by biotin treatment.

Rand56

I'm giving high dose biotin a whirl, and I can also say my appetite has lessened some. Being all the good things I have read about biotin on here, I decided to give it a shot, despite the fact that when I previously tried it in the past, I would get acne breakouts if I pushed it any higher than 1mg per day. Strangely, and fortunately, when I started again, I went straight to 15mg's per day about 1.5 weeks ago, and now doing 20mg's per day. Since day one I have not had any acne breakouts. Seems odd, but I'm not complaining. I started up with Haidut's TocoVit at about the same time, so I don't know if the quality of his E has helped keep the acne at bay, possibly so.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S 15mg Biotin With Every Meal? Metabolism 20
Mito Biotin, Coenzyme Q10, And Their Combination Ameliorate Aluminium Chloride-induced Alzheimer's Alzheimer's 2
T What To Do To Prevent Acne Due To Biotin Use? Ask For Help or Advice 2
Jon Best Foods For Biotin? Vitamins 7
haidut Biotin Can Actually Raise T4 And Lower TSH Scientific Studies 16
Lokzo Is Biotin The Most Underrrated Sleep Aid? Experiments 11
S Biotin Should Be Taken With Lysine? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
S Biotin Needs Calcium? Blood Sugar 1
A Biotin Can Distort Thyroid Lab Testing Blood Work, Labs 3
P Biotin May Lower Carnitin Production And Suppress Beta Oxidation Articles & Scientific Studies 1
W Boswellia Extract/Biotin And Kerastase Spécifique Hair & Nails 0
johnwester130 Found Someone Selling 100mg Capsules Of Biotin Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
P EFAD Symptoms Most Probably Caused By A Biotin Deficiency Articles & Scientific Studies 5
P Biotin Accumulate In Adipose Tissue With Aging?(study) Biotin Inhibit Sirt1 Articles & Scientific Studies 15
P Biotin , B5 Competition/antagonizing Seems Not To Be Relevant? Articles & Scientific Studies 6
P Biotin Decreases Serum Free Fatty Acids Articles & Scientific Studies 1
natedawggh Biotin Reduced My Thyroid Supp (T3) Requirements Testimonials 7
N Does Biotin Cause Fatty Liver, Esp. With Thiamine? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 18
P Biotin Interference On TSH And Free Thyroid Hormone Measurement Articles & Scientific Studies 0
milk_lover Biotin Deficiency Results in Lower Testosterone Scientific Studies 1
johnwester130 Biotin Increases Milk Production And Hoof Growth In Cows Articles & Scientific Studies 1
haidut Biotin Restores Glucose Metabolism Even In Type I Diabetes Scientific Studies 91
haidut Biotin Promotes Glycogen Synthesis Scientific Studies 22
haidut Biotin As A Treatment For Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Scientific Studies 39
Bluebell Dosages Of Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine, And Biotin Water-Soluble Vitamins 29
haidut Biotin Reduces Ammonia Levels In Brain And Blood Scientific Studies 25
haidut Using Vitamins (biotin) For Improving Glucose Control Scientific Studies 66
haidut Adrenaline Suppresses The Immune System And Promotes Viral Infections Scientific Studies 25
H DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto DHEA 7
KnowledgeSeeker Alcohol Suppresses The Thyroid, What About Topical Alcohol? Ask For Help or Advice 9
L Bromocriptine Lowers Cortisol, Suppresses ACTH Scientific Studies 0
haidut Stress From Cancer Diagnosis Suppresses Immune System And Worsens Outcome Scientific Studies 3
Mr. God of Cars DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto Scientific Studies 0
P Histamine Suppresses Epidermal Keratinocyte Differentiation And Impairs Skin Barrier Function In A H Articles & Scientific Studies 6
P Selenium Supplementation Suppresses Serum T3 Levels In Man Articles & Scientific Studies 1
Renaiscience_Man Nutmeg Suppresses Tumor Growth And Metabolism By Inhibiting Lactate Dehydrogenase A Science 1
TheHound DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth? Scientific Studies 3
burtlancast Gilbert Ling: The Peer Review System Suppresses Innovation And Progress Scientific Studies 6
Y It's Official - Low Testosterone Suppresses T4 To T3 Conversion / Lowers Metabolism Articles & Scientific Studies 3
haidut It's Official - Estrogen Suppresses / Lowers Metabolism Thyroid and Hormones 8
Parsifal Does sugar suppresses the immune system? Sugar, Honey 7
haidut Caffeine Acts Like Supplemental Thyroid - It Suppresses TSH / GH Scientific Studies 31
L Ginger suppresses prostaglandin synthesis Articles & Scientific Studies 2
Suikerbuik Prenatal vitamin D3 supplementation suppresses LL-37 peptide Articles & Scientific Studies 9
haidut Tyrosine Suppresses Cortisol Release During Stress Scientific Studies 13
J Omega-6 Linoleic Acid Suppresses Thyroid Signaling Articles & Scientific Studies 4
M Lazy men recipes / food advices // how much time do you spend to prepare food? Ask For Help or Advice 3
bzmazu Why are over 35 million people in the US "food insecure"? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
bzmazu Can eating junk food as a child alter your microbiome for life? Digestion, Gut Flora 0
N Great reset food options Politics and Science Radio Show 5