Biomarkers Of Muscle And Liver Insulin Resistance

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this study mostly as a heads-up for @Dan Wich and his website for lab test comparison. I know quite a few people here struggle with insulin resistance but the doctors do not know how to test for it beyond the simple fasting blood glucose (which is unreliable and easily skewed by stress and fasting). So, if Dan finds providers that can test for these biomarkers it may be a valuable addition to the list of tests he has compiled.
I guess now we know the rationale behind bodybuilders' mania for inhibiting myostatin with all kinds of drugs - inhibiting myostatin grows muscle and as per the study below, this may be due to improved insulin sensitivity in muscle. Improved insulin sensitivity is simply another way of saying reduced glucocorticoid signalling, which suggests that myostatin inhibitors inhibit cortisol signaling (and maybe vice versa). This would suggest that glucocorticoid antagonists are (functional) myostatin inhibitors and as such can indirectly lead to increased muscle growth. I think @AretnaP, @dand and @Jsaute21 may find this interesting.

Targeted Microbiome Intervention by Microencapsulated Delayed-Release Niacin Beneficially Affects Insulin Sensitivity in Humans. - PubMed - NCBI
"...induced a significant decrease in myostatin (1.78 6 0.67 to 1.55 6 0.48 ng/mL, P , 0.05) and fetuin-A levels (3.29 6 1.10 to 2.66 6 0.95 ng/mL, P , 0.05), which serve as markers for skeletal muscle and liver insulin resistance, respectively."

Tarmander

Haidut, do you know some of the myostatin inhibitors that body builders are using? I wonder how someone with CFS/muscle wasting, would do on them.

AretnaP

Haidut, do you know some of the myostatin inhibitors that body builders are using? I wonder how someone with CFS/muscle wasting, would do on them.
I heard some discussion about using follistatin as a myostatin inhibitor, but it was also acknowledged that follistatin is important for tendon/ligament health.

Bodybuilder lee priest claims he never even took insulin or HGH, yet he had 22 or so inch arms.

Regina

I am posting this study mostly as a heads-up for @Dan Wich and his website for lab test comparison. I know quite a few people here struggle with insulin resistance but the doctors do not know how to test for it beyond the simple fasting blood glucose (which is unreliable and easily skewed by stress and fasting). So, if Dan finds providers that can test for these biomarkers it may be a valuable addition to the list of tests he has compiled.
I guess now we know the rationale behind bodybuilders' mania for inhibiting myostatin with all kinds of drugs - inhibiting myostatin grows muscle and as per the study below, this may be due to improved insulin sensitivity in muscle. Improved insulin sensitivity is simply another way of saying reduced glucocorticoid signalling, which suggests that myostatin inhibitors inhibit cortisol signaling (and maybe vice versa). This would suggest that glucocorticoid antagonists are (functional) myostatin inhibitors and as such can indirectly lead to increased muscle growth. I think @AretnaP, @dand and @Jsaute21 may find this interesting.

Targeted Microbiome Intervention by Microencapsulated Delayed-Release Niacin Beneficially Affects Insulin Sensitivity in Humans. - PubMed - NCBI
"...induced a significant decrease in myostatin (1.78 6 0.67 to 1.55 6 0.48 ng/mL, P , 0.05) and fetuin-A levels (3.29 6 1.10 to 2.66 6 0.95 ng/mL, P , 0.05), which serve as markers for skeletal muscle and liver insulin resistance, respectively."
Cool! I would like to have pre-puberty insulin sensitivity. :):

Dan W

I haven't been able to find a way to test those so far.

There seems to be an interesting myostatin / vitamin D connection, although my tired brain is confused by the direction/nature of the connection:
Serum myostatin levels were positively correlated with serum levels of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (25OHD)
Endocrine and Clinical Correlates of Myostatin Serum Concentration in Men—the STRAMBO Study | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
...vitamin D suppresses the expression of myostatin...
http://www.hormones.gr/pdf/Hormones_15_471.pdf

dand

Nice :) I imagine idea labs will be coming out w something soon that inhibits myostatin or at least we’ll get a list of products already available that inhibit it. We’ve all been good this year, Santa, lol!

TibRex

"... at the University of Bonn, researchers were testing pig satellite cells due to their remarkable similarity to human muscle cells. Satellite cells found in muscle have the ability to become mature muscle cells. What was uncovered in this research is that sulforaphane [found in crucifers] dramatically reduced the production of myostatin in satellite cells..."

But before one starts gorging on broccoli and other crucifers, one should read this article first:
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...text-of-traditional-diets-and-modern-science/

Source:
Natural Myostatin Inhibitor in Broccoli - Mind And Muscle

Last edited:

ddjd

I haven't been able to find a way to test those so far.

There seems to be an interesting myostatin / vitamin D connection, although my tired brain is confused by the direction/nature of the connection:

Endocrine and Clinical Correlates of Myostatin Serum Concentration in Men—the STRAMBO Study | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic

http://www.hormones.gr/pdf/Hormones_15_471.pdf
@Dan Wich is it worth getting an insulin test? or do the results change massively through the course of a day? im not sure whether its worth including in my next blood tests

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm undereducated on it, but I'd guess you get a better picture doing cheapo glucometer tests under varying conditions...

Insulin is a valuable test but should always be done together with glucose. It can help diagnose the cause or low or high blood sugar. If insulin is too high that is definitely not a good sign, and if it is too low then it is potentially (pre)-diabetes I.

L

lollipop

Why has nobody replicated this scientists test.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Edit: not sure I agree with the dietary conclusions but the testing is definitely worth trying.

This video on plant based low fat is a good contrast to the dietary conclusions at the end of the above video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pompadour

@Pompadour, this video might be interesting to you somewhere around 45 or 46 min mark he talks about gestational diabetes.
Thank you @lisaferraro for bringing my attention to it! As i understand it with my not so good english , he tells the same as all doctors would. Glucose tolerance test for pregnant women works and shows the gestational diabetes in mother and future problems for babys. I didn't make a 3 hour test and made only a 1 hour test, that showed higher numbers then it should be. I feel , that i do have problems with sugars, because i have episodes of hypoglycemia and had them even before pregnancy. They first showed up at low-carb version of Paleo diet i guess.
Well, in this video he proposes a low carb version of diet for diabetic people... Others (like Ray Peat) propose low fat - high carb. But there is no the one and only remedy for all the people. For some low carb works, for others - low fat works.
For now i try not to think about all this too much - just don;t want to be too nervous. This OGTT was stressfull enough for me :) I try to keep calm and think about gestational diabet in the same direction as Ray Peat suggests, that means, that it can be almost normal during pregnancy.

L

lollipop

Thank you @lisaferraro for bringing my attention to it! As i understand it with my not so good english , he tells the same as all doctors would. Glucose tolerance test for pregnant women works and shows the gestational diabetes in mother and future problems for babys. I didn't make a 3 hour test and made only a 1 hour test, that showed higher numbers then it should be. I feel , that i do have problems with sugars, because i have episodes of hypoglycemia and had them even before pregnancy. They first showed up at low-carb version of Paleo diet i guess.
Well, in this video he proposes a low carb version of diet for diabetic people... Others (like Ray Peat) propose low fat - high carb. But there is no the one and only remedy for all the people. For some low carb works, for others - low fat works.
For now i try not to think about all this too much - just don;t want to be too nervous. This OGTT was stressfull enough for me :) I try to keep calm and think about gestational diabet in the same direction as Ray Peat suggests, that means, that it can be almost normal during pregnancy.
No that is not the test he describes. That is why I showed you the video NOT the diet.

Drink 100gm glucose and 2 hours later take an INSULIN test NOT glucose test. I guess you need to watch the whole video up to that point @Pompadour

L

lollipop

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Edit: not sure I agree with the dietary conclusions but the testing is definitely worth trying.

This video on plant based low fat is a good contrast to the dietary conclusions at the end of the above video:

PS everyone...I am not recommending this dietary approach per se. I wanted to provide a contrast to the dietary conclusions in the other video. Frankly, it is crazy the varied beliefs, results, opinions about diet for diabetes condition.

@lisaferraro
That's why I posted the video,
It seems the test he used is never used
In any mainstream diagagnoses,and because
His work was never published nobody seems to know about it .

The reviews on amazon regarding his book Diabetes Epidemic & You
( The only public source of his written work) are very enlightening.
One commenter seems to think that Lifeextension have a very similar test.

It seems the more we find out the more difficult to find the truth.

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro
That's why I posted the video,
It seems the test he used is never used
In any mainstream diagagnoses,and because
His work was never published nobody seems to know about it .

The reviews on amazon regarding his book Diabetes Epidemic & You
( The only public source of his written work) are very enlightening.
One commenter seems to think that Lifeextension have a very similar test.

It seems the more we find out the more difficult to find the truth.
Amazing to me that he has been in total obscurity. His test seriously makes sense and is simple as ever to get an amazing picture of what is going on. Particularly fascinating is the damage/pathology being vascular. Makes sooooooo much sense. @Elderflower j58

Problem is the mass confusion on the solution. Would be stunning if someone with use this test over time with different dietary solutions to see trends...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals