Bioidentical Estrogen

I know that Estrogen is contra-indicated for healthy hormones and life in general. But I do wonder why is it that so many women on bioidentical hormones, specifically Estrogen, rave about how well they feel on them versus when they do not take them?

When I have asked functional practitioners the same question they say that estrogen from food is different from bioidentical hormones, and act differently in the body, but I cannot find any evidence for this. Can someone please explain....

opethfeldt

Because estrogen, like pretty much everything in this world, isn't all bad. Your body produces it for a reason, just like cortisol, prolactin, serotonin and all of the other hormones that can cause harm in excess. The key word is "excess". In a healthy person, with proper levels of other important hormones, especially progesterone, estrogen is a good hormone to have and will only have positive effects. It's when it is unopposed by progesterone that problems start to arise.

GreenTrails

Because estrogen, like pretty much everything in this world, isn't all bad. Your body produces it for a reason, just like cortisol, prolactin, serotonin and all of the other hormones that can cause harm in excess. The key word is "excess". In a healthy person, with proper levels of other important hormones, especially progesterone, estrogen is a good hormone to have and will only have positive effects. It's when it is unopposed by progesterone that problems start to arise.
I agree with this.

OP
F
Thank you for this explanation. Of course my next question is what should a female’s estrogen levels be post-menopausal. Should I follow the advise of Naturopath or are their values too high? What is the proper estrogen/progesterone ratio to shoot for?
Thank you!

emarie

I have the same questions. I will be meeting with my Natuopath soon and am quite confused as to what ratio to shoot for as a post-menopausal woman. I normally supplement E1 and E2 with progesterone and testosterone bioidentically. Should I skip a week each month of all the hormones or just the progesterone? I am in my 60's? When I test should I be off all hormones for a week before hand? My healthcare provider prefers I stay on them when testing and adjusts from there. Is there a good article explaining why we should not supplement estrogens to help me understand this?

GreenTrails

I have the same questions. I will be meeting with my Natuopath soon and am quite confused as to what ratio to shoot for as a post-menopausal woman. I normally supplement E1 and E2 with progesterone and testosterone bioidentically. Should I skip a week each month of all the hormones or just the progesterone? I am in my 60's? When I test should I be off all hormones for a week before hand? My healthcare provider prefers I stay on them when testing and adjusts from there. Is there a good article explaining why we should not supplement estrogens to help me understand this?
There is an Abstract on PubMed.gov "In Defense of Progesterone: A Review of the Literature" by Allen Lieberman and Luke Curtis which has good information about the use of Progesterone in postmenopoausal women. I would suggest that when you go to be tested that you are on all the hormones that you are taking. I think your healthcare provider is right on this.

I used bioidentical E2 and E3 for about 10 years and a small amount of bioidentical testosterone for a couple of years. I did get breast cancer, which my doctors said was a result of the estrogen. I no longer take any hormones, and I'm feeling really good. I do have occasional hot flashes.

emarie

There is an Abstract on PubMed.gov "In Defense of Progesterone: A Review of the Literature" by Allen Lieberman and Luke Curtis which has good information about the use of Progesterone in postmenopoausal women. I would suggest that when you go to be tested that you are on all the hormones that you are taking. I think your healthcare provider is right on this.

I used bioidentical E2 and E3 for about 10 years and a small amount of bioidentical testosterone for a couple of years. I did get breast cancer, which my doctors said was a result of the estrogen. I no longer take any hormones, and I'm feeling really good. I do have occasional hot flashes.

Thank you so much for your help!