Biofilm Annihilation

Frankdee20

Had an hypothesis that the herbal antibiotics were making my poop weird and itchy, so I stopped taking them while continuing with the N-acetyl-cysteine and Rifaximin. Looks like it was correct, because no more itchiness, although my poop hasn't gone back to normal totally so the shifting bacterial situation from the antibiotic is probably part of that change.

Herbs can be allergenic sometimes. Which ones you did again? Things like black walnut, pumpkin seed, artemisia, pau d arco, Oil of oregano have anti fungal/parasitic properties. When I had an active entameoba and blastocystis infection that only a parasitologist could confirm, he knocked that right out with tinidazole and paramomycin. I wouldn't rely on herbs.

Kyle M

Herbs can be allergenic sometimes. Which ones you did again? Things like black walnut, pumpkin seed, artemisia, pau d arco, Oil of oregano have anti fungal/parasitic properties. When I had an active entameoba and blastocystis infection that only a parasitologist could confirm, he knocked that right out with tinidazole and paramomycin. I wouldn't rely on herbs.

FC-Cidal and Dysbiocide

Kyle M

Does anyone know if it's "safe" to orally use EDTA to disrupt gut biofilms?

Kyle M

That’s a good idea but I always thought edta wasn’t orally bioactive

It's not really a bioactive molecule imo, it's just a chemical that binds metals. As long as it survives the stomach acid and intestinal secretion pHs, it should chelate and help secrete iron and other metals in the gut.

Atman

What about taking strong laxatives for cleaning your bowels like before a colonoscopy?
Follow/combine that with a water fast of 1-3 days.
If your symptoms are caused by bacteria, you should be symptom free after the fasting period at least for a few days until the population density goes up again.
It may not be the cure, but a very simple diagnostic technique.

I have gut issues since a year now. And after a recent colonoscopy, which revealed nothing abnormal, I was symptom free for 3 weeks. After that it slowly came back, although not to it's original strength.
I suspect lifestyle aspects to cause my problems, like bad eating habits (eating too fast, huge meals, eating while doing exciting things (adrenaline) ... etc.)
Over time I think these habits can have cumulative effects and cause SIBO like symptoms.
I don't believe you need a complicated combination of substances in a well timed regimen to "cure" your gut.

Kyle M

What about taking strong laxatives for cleaning your bowels like before a colonoscopy?
Follow/combine that with a water fast of 1-3 days.
If your symptoms are caused by bacteria, you should be symptom free after the fasting period at least for a few days until the population density goes up again.
It may not be the cure, but a very simple diagnostic technique.

This may be something I could try over the Winter holiday from work. Did you read anything about how long bacterial populations survive on a fast? I have a *gut feeling* that they would have evolved methods for laying dormant for quite some time, but I could be wrong.

Atman

Did you read anything about how long bacterial populations survive on a fast?
No, do you have any sources?

I know that bacteria die off very fast when they have no "food". Of course they can go in the dormant spore state but then they can't produce toxins either, and the vast majority will die in the process.
I could also think of certain species which can live of the mucus, but they probably are not the ones causing problems.

Either way, if you clean your bowels with laxatives (which will also flush most of the mucus and biofilm off) and then fast for a few days, you will be symptom free for a certain period afterwards, if it was the bacteria causing the problem.But as I've said, this is probably only a diagnostic technique and one has to find the real cause of the problem.

Kyle M

No, do you have any sources?

I know that bacteria die off very fast when they have no "food". Of course they can go in the dormant spore state but then they can't produce toxins either, and the vast majority will die in the process.
I could also think of certain species which can live of the mucus, but they probably are not the ones causing problems.

Either way, if you clean your bowels with laxatives (which will also flush most of the mucus and biofilm off) and then fast for a few days, you will be symptom free for a certain period afterwards, if it was the bacteria causing the problem.But as I've said, this is probably only a diagnostic technique and one has to find the real cause of the problem.

Can laxatives flush out biofilms? I thought laxatives worked mainly in the colon, not the small intestine. Either way, interesting stuff. I had bought rifaximin before at this website: InhousePharmacy.vu but some of them are out of stock and the one that wasn't, there was an error occurring when I tried to order last night.

EIRE24

Can laxatives flush out biofilms? I thought laxatives worked mainly in the colon, not the small intestine. Either way, interesting stuff. I had bought rifaximin before at this website: InhousePharmacy.vu but some of them are out of stock and the one that wasn't, there was an error occurring when I tried to order last night.
Do you eat a lot of fat? Just a thought that taurine and coconut oil could be a good combo for sterilising the gut.

Kyle M

Do you eat a lot of fat? Just a thought that taurine and coconut oil could be a good combo for sterilising the gut.

I don't count grams but I haven't been doing a purposeful low fat or high fat diet recently. Combining taurine and coconut oil? I put taurine in protein shakes after a workout, and I cook with coconut oil and butter.

EIRE24

I don't count grams but I haven't been doing a purposeful low fat or high fat diet recently. Combining taurine and coconut oil? I put taurine in protein shakes after a workout, and I cook with coconut oil and butter.
Ok then you should be getting both into the gut. I know both have components of being good for gut. Have you ever experienced skin issues?

The fact is that: fecal transplants seem to rejigger gut biofilms. I'm not sure if anything else really does.

But this shows that biofilms can be best attacked by other colonies of commensal bacteria rather than chemical assaults.

Kyle M

The fact is that: fecal transplants seem to rejigger gut biofilms. I'm not sure if anything else really does.

But this shows that biofilms can be best attacked by other colonies of commensal bacteria rather than chemical assaults.

Wouldn't probiotics work then?

Kyle M

Ok then you should be getting both into the gut. I know both have components of being good for gut. Have you ever experienced skin issues?

I have some minor skin issues, a mixture of oily/dry skin depending on what's going on. Overall though I would say my skin is above average healthy looking.

Kyle M

I doubt that probiotics are anything like the commensal bacteria from another biofilm in a fecal transplant.

Point taken. Back to the original point, it's demonstrable that "chemical assault" can and will disrupt or destroy biofilm. At least there are experiments purporting to show that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals