Billionaire$ hate this simple trick! What is the best low pufa olive oil?

Mauritio

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I tried my DIY pufa reduced olive oil on my carrot salad and the usual slightly bitter taste has disappeared. Positively surprised.

Mauritio

I tried my DIY pufa reduced olive oil on my carrot salad and the usual slightly bitter taste has disappeared. Positively surprised.
So there was a part that didnt get solid in your oil ?

For me even the store bought olive oil hot completely solid ,it just took longer. So I don't know what to think . Maybe any olive oil becomes solid if you leave it long enough in the fridge...?

Dr. B

For me even the store bought olive oil hot completely solid ,it just took longer. So I don't know what to think . Maybe any olive oil becomes solid if you leave it long enough in the fridge...?
mufa also solidifies doesnt it but the liquid part is highly likely to be the pufa if its liquid while stored in the fridge? actually i think one tablespoon olive oil is 12g mufa, 1g SFA 1g pufa right.

Mauritio

Yes I send what michael said to peat and he said it likely means it lowered pufa.

I've seen a few oils where there was a 2:1 SFA:PUFA ratio .

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I bought a DOM certified olive oil from Spain in a big supermarket. There was about a table spoon of liquid oil that came out of a 500ml bottle after one night at 4°C.

Mauritio

Here's the whole convo of peat and me on olive oil :

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
What do you think is the best way to store olive oil?
Thank you .

A: Refrigerated.

Q: Okay thank you!

Do you think it makes sense to throw away the part of the oil that doesn't become solid in the fridge?

A: I don’t know; is the taste different?

Q: I haven't tried it personally. But I will ask the person who told me and get back to you.

(Later)
I havent heard back from him yet.

But I tried it out myself and the olive oil got completely solid at 5°C in the fridge. It looks like green coconut oil. There's not a single drop coming out of the bottle.
Does that mean its fats are very saturated?

Have you seen that before with olive oil?
It's a new kind of olive oil that I use . I put my old one in the fridge to see if it will become solid as well.

A: Mine does completely solidify at that that temperature. If they use a solvent to extract more oil after the first pressing, it will contain more PUFA. Also, the FDA found that an extremely high percentage if the olive oil sold in the US has been adulterated with cheaper things such as soy oil.

Q: Okay, thanks!

The other oil has been in the fridge for half the day and hasn't become solid, at all. So I think I won't buy that one again.

What do you think about olive oil as a skin care product against dry skin or wrinkles? There's some old people that swear by that.

A: Good olive oil is good for the skin.

Q: Do you have any favorite olives? I've read that koroneiki olives have a good amount of policosanol in it.

Speaking of policosanol: in my new olive oil there's a white mist/sediment, could that be the long chain saturated fatty acids?

A: I like all olives. I doubt that saturated fat would separate.

Q: Okay .

Do you think any olive oil would become solid if you leave it in the fridge long enough ?

My older olive oil eventually did become solid ,it just took a lot longer than my new one.

Here's what the person told me about pouring the liquid part away :

"I tried my DIY pufa reduced olive oil on my carrot salad and the usual slightly bitter taste has disappeared. Positively surprised."

A: That suggests that it’s reducing the PUFA conent of what’s left.

Mauritio

Can i ask if you live in the US? im curious if it was crazy expensive if you do. thanks!
No I'm in Germany. And I payed like 13€ per bottle so not expensive at all.

Sitaruîm

My supposedly cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil has been in the fridge overnight and it's fully liquid. Does this suggest it's been mixed with the undesirable ones?

Mauritio

My supposedly cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil has been in the fridge overnight and it's fully liquid. Does this suggest it's been mixed with the undesirable ones?
Yes ,but wait another day. One of my oils took very long to get really solid.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

It needs to be under 6°C, I don't know why exactly as monounsaturated fats solidifies under 13°C but maybe a small amount of pufa suffice to lower the melting point down to under 6C.

CastorTroy

I don't see this happening as easily with temperature. Most of the pufas won't separate. Instead it will remain trapped between the rest of MUFA and SFA, forming a thick paste. The same as you won't be able with coconut oil to separate C:8, C:10 and C:12 by just reaching lauric acid melting poing. Maybe it the oil is very bad quality and refined, you get a little amount of drops of pufa separating. But you definitely needs something more complex to get fraction fatty acids that just temperature playing.

It would be great it had been a guide with some steps to accomplish this at home, even if the separation is not 100% of the full fraction.