"Biggest Loser" Fitness Guru (age 51) Suffers Serious Heart Attack

kayumochi

What forum was that on? Would greatly appreciate if you could tip me off as to what direction to start sleuthing in

I found this:

Top Ten Reasons Not to Run Marathons

10. Marathon running damages the liver and gall bladder and alters biochemical markers adversely. HDL is lowered, LDL is increased, Red blood cell counts and white blood cell counts fall. The liver is damaged and gall bladder function is decreased. Testosterone decreases.
9. Marathon running causes acute and severe muscle damage. Repetitive injury causes infiltration of collagen (connective tissue) into muscle fibers.
8. Marathon running induces kidney disfunction (renal abnormalities).
7. Marathon running causes acute microthrombosis in the vascular system.
6. Marathon running elevates markers of cancer. S100beta is one of these markers. Tumor necrosis factor, TNF-alpha, is another.
5. Marathon running damages your brain. The damage resembles acute brain trauma. Marathon runners have elevated S100beta, a marker of brain damage and blood brain barrier dysfunction. There is S100beta again, a marker of cancer and of brain damage.
4. Marathons damage your heart. From Whyte, et al Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2001 May, 33 (5) 850-1, “Echocardiographic studies report cardiac dysfunction following ultra-endurance exercise in trained individuals. Ironman and half-Ironman competition resulted in reversible abnormalities in resting left ventricular diastolic and systolic function. Results suggest that myocardial damage may be, in part, responsible for cardiac dysfunction, although the mechanisms responsible for this cardiac damage remain to be fully elucidated.”
3. Endurance athletes have more spine degeneration.
The number two reason not to run marathons:
2. At least four particiants of the Boston Marathon have died of brain cancer in the past 10 years. Purely anecdotal, but consistent with the elevated S100beta counts and TKN-alpha measures. Perhaps also connected to the microthrombi of the endothelium found in marathoners.
And now ladies and gentlemen the number one reason not to run marathons:
1. The first marathon runner, Phidippides, collapsed and died at the finish of his race. [Jaworski, Curr Sports Med Rep. 1005 June; 4 (3), 137-43.]

Arthur De Vany | Facebook

kayumochi

I found this:

10. Marathon running damages the liver and gall bladder and alters biochemical markers adversely. HDL is lowered, LDL is increased, Red blood cell counts and white blood cell counts fall. The liver is damaged and gall bladder function is decreased. Testosterone decreases.
9. Marathon running causes acute and severe muscle damage. Repetitive injury causes infiltration of collagen (connective tissue) into muscle fibers.
6. Marathon running elevates markers of cancer. S100beta is one of these markers. Tumor necrosis factor, TNF-alpha, is another.
5. Marathon running damages your brain. The damage resembles acute brain trauma. Marathon runners have elevated S100beta, a marker of brain damage and blood brain barrier dysfunction. There is S100beta again, a marker of cancer and of brain damage.
4. Marathons damage your heart. From Whyte, et al Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2001 May, 33 (5) 850-1, “Echocardiographic studies report cardiac dysfunction following ultra-endurance exercise in trained individuals. Ironman and half-Ironman competition resulted in reversible abnormalities in resting left ventricular diastolic and systolic function. Results suggest that myocardial damage may be, in part, responsible for cardiac dysfunction, although the mechanisms responsible for this cardiac damage remain to be fully elucidated.”
2. At least four particiants of the Boston Marathon have died of brain cancer in the past 10 years. Purely anecdotal, but consistent with the elevated S100beta counts and TKN-alpha measures. Perhaps also connected to the microthrombi of the endothelium found in marathoners.
1. The first marathon runner, Phidippides, collapsed and died at the finish of his race. [Jaworski, Curr Sports Med Rep. 1005 June; 4 (3), 137-43.]

I think Art used to have a blog with obituaries that readers would send him ... been a few years back so can't say for sure ... and I am fairly sure his blog is no more ...

Ella

Forum Supporter
om
G'day Ella, a few messages back you mentioned that you were lowering your sugars and increasing your starches? I've chatted to you last year and loved your responses, thanks again. I seem to keep my blood sugars more stable with starches (liver not storing sugars as good as could be yet?) but thought that fruit over bread was always the idea? I also work hard as a carpenter, but trying to implement 'Peat' ideas will sometimes crash sugar levels. Coffee unfortunately does this often.

Yes I remember, glad to hear you're doing better with starches. I was chatting with Stryker who is a brickie and he just has his electrolyte mixture plus glycine from 5am - 2pm. I think hydration and electrolytes + sugar is key for traddies. Not sure if you read his post but his tolerance to sugar improved by upping potassium. This is crucial in keeping those alkaline minerals; sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium nicely balanced and replete. Liver in the diet - I can't say it enough. I have upped my liver intake and feels great. Though I'd be careful if the tendency is hypoglycemia. Peat says you need lots of sugar. I do liver with mash potato, rice or pasta otherwise lots of cooked apples and onions, leek with it. I thought overweight people needed less liver but I find I need more. I was doing lots of coffee but cut it back. I use to crave it in the afternoon to give me a bit of a pep, but since reducing more fat, I find I don't even think about it. I have cut back my milk but having loads of ice-cream because it has been so damn hot.

I think if you are experiencing sugar crashes, then its best to keep the starches in the diet and as I am learning, it is best to up carbs/sugars and lower fat slowly. My husband has been helping my son with his landscaping business. It's absolutely crazy, sugar has been the missing link for him. He is buying coke now when it is on special and drinks it during the day. People think that he is having a midlife crisis. He was always skinny and needed heaps of food to keep him stable. I am amazed; for an old codger, he is building muscles like anything. He does not eat anywhere near as much food as before. I keep thinking why is he not hungry? No wonder people become addicted to coke and sugar :)

You should incorporate a hydration drink like stryker and see if it helps to prevent those sugar crashes. Should be part of OH&S or SWMS if I was site supervisor. I think if metabolism is low then yes fruit definitively revs it up. But if you are already running high and burning through your nutrients then I think its best to slow it down. People are coming from such low mineral backgrounds that it takes time to bring nutrition up to cope with the extra demands. Peat has always said if you are going to do thyroid, then you need to support it. If you do coffee you need to support t. I know I can ramp up my metabolism with fruit and milk and sugar, but because it is such a quick energy, I always thinking about my next snack or just snacking continuously, It's nice to be able to focus on a project for a significant amount of time without thinking about food. I want to slow the weight loss down as I don't want to give myself a fatty liver or blow my pancreas. I don't want to Kutcher myself. Peat says once your liver improves then you can go longer between meals. I am now experimenting with just eating all my calories during daylight and no food after sunset. Good thing it is still light later. Winter will be miserable though, so I am seriously thinking about light quality for those dark days. I have to do a bit of research on which damn lights at least in the kitchen and where I work.

I am digging into the research on NAFLD - non alcoholic fatty liver disease. I wonder whether the reason I can go longer now is because I now have a fatty liver??? It's a never-ending work in progress. No rest for the wicked:)

Best of luck my luv - lots of trial and error until you find the optimal balance. Also keep an open mind and don't be too dogmatic. If something doesn't work, just pull back and reassess.

Footscray

Fantastic answer Ella, thank you, lots to digest.
Can you get a north facing room to do you work in winter? We still have beautiful winters days to at least feel the solar energy. I also make a camp fire in the backyard most weekends in winter and we all sit around chatting and gardening and listening to the footy getting the solar energy returned from the wood. It feel wonderful.

sladerunner69

I found this:

#1 was what did it for me, never running again

tara

Truthfully, I don't know if there has ever been a "100% vegan" human being, as that would require being nursed on soy formula or whatever from birth onward, and choosing to never eat any animal product whatsoever.
And being meticulous about filtering the weevils etc out of their grains and pulses, the worms out of the apples, the slugs and aphids out of the broccoli, etc.

But still, there's quite a difference between intentionally avoiding all animal products as far as possible for decades (as some do), and just mostly avoiding them for a year or so (which is probably much more common).

tankasnowgod

And being meticulous about filtering the weevils etc out of their grains and pulses, the worms out of the apples, the slugs and aphids out of the broccoli, etc.

But still, there's quite a difference between intentionally avoiding all animal products as far as possible for decades (as some do), and just mostly avoiding them for a year or so (which is probably much more common).

Very true. However, it still could have been a factor in Bob Harper's particular case. Since vegan diets are well known to cause B12 deficiency, it's possible that the diet caused an acute deficiency that he never fully recovered from, especially if it was compounded by vigorous workout routines and long shooting schedules.

tara

Very true. However, it still could have been a factor in Bob Harper's particular case. Since vegan diets are well known to cause B12 deficiency, it's possible that the diet caused an acute deficiency that he never fully recovered from, especially if it was compounded by vigorous workout routines and long shooting schedules.
I guess so. You're right that vegan diets are renowned for causing B12 deficiency. I guess I had in mind that it would typically take quite a long time to get deficient in B12 if one started from a high animal-product diet, but I guess averages don't always tell the story of the particular, and some people might run down much faster.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Fantastic answer Ella, thank you, lots to digest.
Can you get a north facing room to do you work in winter? We still have beautiful winters days to at least feel the solar energy. I also make a camp fire in the backyard most weekends in winter and we all sit around chatting and gardening and listening to the footy getting the solar energy returned from the wood. It feel wonderful.

I have a beautiful north facing balcony but I can't work with my computer because I can't see the screen in the summer. It has a huge hooded glass window & door to the balcony and it is lovely and warm in the winter.

Two of the most beneficial lights that nature has on offer; camp-fire and sunlight. Doesn't get better than this in the backyard. Throw some corn cobs into the hot coals and ash to release the niacin, along with spuds and dinners done. Nothing like an outdoor kitchen:)
Nice to hear you still have a plot of soil to toil and nurture, while everyone is giving theirs up for the "good life".

Ella

Forum Supporter
Are you speaking of "gluten-free" processed foods?

Recent study published by Havard scientists point to eating gluten-free leads to diabetes 2 which backs up results of studies reporting nutrient deficiencies in these individuals. I have not read this study, to comment further. You need to look it up.

However, if you dig into the latest research; as sufficient time has passed to assess what happens when you go gluten-free, you will see a disturbing trend of nutritional deficiency that arises. People are not sufficiently educated in that; if they remove certain foods, these need to be replaced with better options. Gluten-free products are not better options and perhaps contributing to these .deficiencies.

More disturbing is the changes that we see in the gut microbiota which is not favourable and may explain why in the absence of gluten in the diet, gut problems do not resolve and in fact get worse. This is found both in celiac's and non-celiacs.

Please don't think I am advocating gluten for celiacs; far from this. This may also explain why people who remove gluten also have problems with the digestion of starch. Many of the practitioners that advocated in the past removing grains, are now for themselves placing grain back on the menu. Just saying :)

OP
Mito

Mito

Recent study published by Havard scientists point to eating gluten-free leads to diabetes 2 which backs up results of studies reporting nutrient deficiencies in these individuals. I have not read this study, to comment further. You need to look it up.

However, if you dig into the latest research; as sufficient time has passed to assess what happens when you go gluten-free, you will see a disturbing trend of nutritional deficiency that arises. People are not sufficiently educated in that; if they remove certain foods, these need to be replaced with better options. Gluten-free products are not better options and perhaps contributing to these .deficiencies.

More disturbing is the changes that we see in the gut microbiota which is not favourable and may explain why in the absence of gluten in the diet, gut problems do not resolve and in fact get worse. This is found both in celiac's and non-celiacs.

Please don't think I am advocating gluten for celiacs; far from this. This may also explain why people who remove gluten also have problems with the digestion of starch. Many of the practitioners that advocated in the past removing grains, are now for themselves placing grain back on the menu. Just saying :)
Thanks. I'm always interested to hear different opinions on gluten since it is so polarizing. I know Ray doesn't recommend eating it at all and has made statements like "gluten is just absolutely not intended as a food".

I stopped eating gluten about 2 years ago after researching the subject and taking the Cyrex Array 3 - Wheat/Gluten Proteome Reactivity & Autoimmunity blood test. It's tests IgG and IgA for 12 different wheat proteins and peptides. I actually tested in the normal range for 9 of 12 and the other 3 I was not out of range but in the "equivocal range". I still decided to give it up because when I was researching different "non main stream type diets", gluten seemed to be one of the things they all agreed on. The paleo diet, the perfect health diet, the primal diet, the bullet proof diet, and Ray Peat's suggestions all agreed about not recommending gluten for optimal health. The only other thing most agreed on was low PUFA. By most I mean Ray Peat, Perfect Health Diet, and the Bullet Proof Diet.

Texon

Jim Fixx, another of many runners who probably died of chronic training rather than anything related to diet ... someone used to keep a list of obituaries of men in their prime, all runners, who just dropped dead one day. "He was so healthy!" they all said ... the numbers are astounding.
Not all premie deaths are runners...the same is true for many high intensity bodybuilders and football players of course. I think overtraining is the common thread from what I know about various divergent bodybuilding routines.. .

Badger

Was not the death of premier martial artist Bruce Lee said to be due to over-training?

kayumochi

Not all premie deaths are runners...the same is true for many high intensity bodybuilders and football players of course. I think overtraining is the common thread from what I know about various divergent bodybuilding routines.. .

yes, chronic overtraining is the common thread. i know several people who are always training for bike races or marathons and down to the person they are riddled with health problems yet they keep on ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals