"Biggest Loser" Fitness Guru (age 51) Suffers Serious Heart Attack

Pasta has flour from Canada, the country where they don't use blades to cut wheat. They use Roundup.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Sounds a bit elitist.

I didn't intend to sound elitist, I was only meaning that for many, regardless whether we have phd or not; it is difficult to differentiate between science fact and science fiction (dogma). Much of what we are taught in science is based on dogma, bias and vested interests. I know people who have little education but have incredible ability to use critical thinking and some university professors who are completely derelict. The majority of the population have very simplistic ideas of how the body works and lack the comprehensive of the complexity or the organism. Diabetes for example, the belief is if sugar is in the urine then it must be coming from the sugar we eat.

I started a Phd research project which I was able to successful gain funding for. Not too hard when the research involves children and young people. However, for this funding, you are expected to come up with a vaccine or drug intervention: a patent in the end. Intellectual property ownership was a big issue. Unfortunately, I was not able to complete my work due to my physical breakdown. The focus of my research is rather controversial and not welcomed so publishing in itself would be difficult - it is a rather complex situation. Even if I did publish, it would not be accessible to the people that mattered. I came to the realisation that I would be more effective in reaching my target roup through other avenues. The internet and taking the information straight to the people is possible today and we don't need to travel all over the world. Still I have hope that there are younger researchers to continue the research as many of us are getting old. Even trying to train surgeons it is a big ask. The training is long and the population group is small. Eye laser surgery is a no brainer and is very lucrative.Still it has not stopped me from continuing my research at other levels interacting with other scientists and practitioners in this area.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Pasta has flour from Canada, the country where they don't use blades to cut wheat. They use Roundup.

i don't use Canadian flour or any imported flours. Even if grown organically, the storage of grain is problematic due to mycotoxins. As my husband has done the work on mycotoxins and grains, I know that many of our grains are good. Impossible to get find maize that is free of fungal metabolites. He has never seen it. Even though I love polenta and corn meal, even if I used lime to release the niacin, it is prohibited to come into the house. It would be grounds for a divorce.

i don't use Canadian flour or any imported flours. Even if grown organically, the storage of grain is problematic due to mycotoxins. As my husband has done the work on mycotoxins and grains, I know that many of our grains are good. Impossible to get find maize that is free of fungal metabolites. He has never seen it. Even though I love polenta and corn meal, even if I used lime to release the niacin, it is prohibited to come into the house. It would be grounds for a divorce.

So you only make soft pasta, or?

Ella

Forum Supporter
So you only make soft pasta, or?
By soft pasta you mean fresh pasta and not dried pasta? I make sheets for lasagnia, which I layer with sweet potato, mushrooms, leafy green like silverbeet, parmesan. I make several trays and one slice is very satisfying for lunch or dinner. The is no need for extra veggies, it is a complete meal followed with some yummy fruit & ice cream or custard.

When I have a good harvest of potatoes, I make niochi and freeze serving sizes in the freezer. This is easy for the kids if they drop in and are hungry. They just need to boil water, drop the frozen niochi into boiling water/salt water. Heat one of my homemade tomato, onion and zucchini sauce and easy meal for them. Sometimes they just add some sour cream with parmasen and fresh herbs and chilli for heat.

I also make fresh ricotta ravioli and freeze these. Pop into boiling water frozen an instant meal. There is nothing like fresh ravioli. Store bought are an abomination. I make egg noodles for soups and fettuccini. I don't do dried pasta, I just freeze it all. I have lots of fridges and freezers because I prepare so much food. I stock my kid's freezers so it is easy for them when they come home tired and don't need to worry about preparing meals. The only problem is the electricity bill and those times when our electricity is cut. A nightmare when there is so much food in the freezer. Last year we were without electricity from sunday to thursday - not impressed. My ultimate goal would be to get off the grid but for now, we'll make do with a backup generator.
btw, home-made pasta is a workout in itself; you raise quite a sweat while turning the wheel. So if you do it in the heat of summer without air conditioning then it becomes a great detox session. In the winter, no need for heating. Who said pasta makes you fat?

kaybb

I make my custard in the Thermomix. Expensive piece of machinery but it makes beautiful custard every time. I have not tried to adapt for stovetop but you can have a go. The other option is to do a baked custard. Stovetop takes a bit of care.

Here's the recipe:
Thermomix recipe: Lemon Custard · Tenina.com

You can sub rice flour 60 - 70g for cornflour.
Also omit the cream to reduce fat and use total 500g of Milk instead. I have made it with skim milk powder but not as yummy as full cream milk.
You can do a chocolate version with grated orange peel instead of the lemon. Just add 20g of cocoa powder.

If you like just plain vanilla custard than add vanilla instead of lemon.

I make a double quantity because it does not last long in my house.

Here a traditional old-fashioned baked custard by Nigella Lawson.

Baked Custard Recipe

And who can resist Traditional Baked Rice Custard. My kids love this dessert, great for breakfast or after school and cold winter nights in front of the fire. True comfort food to make you feel safe and warm all over. Traditionally raisins or sultanas are used but any dried fruit like dates can be used.

Baked rice custard recipe

My fruit/veggie chutney is whatever fruit or vegetables I have. Usually, I have tons of fruit and a flood of vegetables in summer, so I will mix say plums, nectarines, peaches, tomatoes, spicy peppers, chilli, dates, apples, onions and zucchini and then add lots of different spices, turmeric, curry, coriander seeds, cumin, tamarind. I like to use indian spices but I also use lots of italian like garlic, oregano, chilli, parsley etc. It depends, I just mix it up and then store in glass jars. It is easy for the kids when they drop in to open a jar and add it to rice, wholegrains, or pasta. Served with poached egg is delicious or with roast lamb. I sometimes combine with lentils or beans for those animal-protein-free-meals. Just plain boiled potatoes is an easy quick meal.

By serving it with meat, the fruit and sugar prevents over-consumption of too much phosphate. My phosphate results came in low, so I guess I was a bit too aggressive with the fruit and sugar. The vinegar provides much-needed potassium. If I get too busy, meals are very easy to prepare when I have my pantry stocked with goodies. I made pickled eggs because I had too many eggs. Growing my own, save time not having to drive to the supermarkets and shops, find parking, hunt for quality, wait in the queues, stress about how much it costs, pack into my car, cart up 2 flights of stairs into my house, unpack, pack away and then food prep. It is a lot of work before it gets to be turned into food and on the table. I much prefer to step into the garden and pick some vegetables and fresh herbs or fruits to make a salad, soup or stir fry.

Canning is not for me. I don't can anything, all my food is either bottled or in glass jars, so they can be recycled. I only need to replace the lids when they no longer fit tightly.

Tomato season, I make tomato paste, whole peeled tomatoes, tomato sauce to use for pasta and other dishes. I do tomato, onion & zucchini. Pickled vegetables like eggplants, roasted capsium and zucchini. I grow huge eggplants which keeps the family eating eggplant dishes for a while. I also grow the long skinny eggplants that I bottle with currants, chilli, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar and bays leaves. Gosh, it's never ending.

Winter time I have lots of broths in the freezer, along with root vegetables diced for soups, frozen cooked grains and beans, etc. Also cooked frozen leafy greens like swiss chard, kale, spinach and many others. I don't grow mushrooms but buy them in bulk (on special), boil them and store in the freezer either sliced or larger pieces for stir-fries. My husband wants to grow mushrooms. We have a cellar so we could grow them there. I use mushrooms in lots of dishes and a broth based mushroom soup is lovely in winter. We will have a glut of apples and I will stew and bottle as applesauce, make apple strudel, I also make zucchini strudel and these make nice desserts for winter and snacks for any time of the year. I will have quinces and persimmons. Persimmons are just lovely to eat as they are nice and mushy in the winter time. Mine are large almost red and soften when ripe, unlike the ones you get at the green grocer, small, orange and floury; flesh just sticks to your tongue. Hate that furry feeling. I am needing more ideas for apples, at the least the chooks will have plenty to eat. Getting the nets onto the trees before the possums and birds get to them, is a real hassle.

I know it not easy for everyone to eat this way but for me, a plot of soil and the food it produces is so much of what defines me. I am a nurturer, that is my role and my duty. I birthed children into this crazy world and no matter what happens to them in the outside world, I know they can retreat to my home where they were born and feel loved, safe and renewed.

My kids didn't know how lucky they were until they left home. My sons complain that girls don't cook as they don't see the value in wasting their time if they can simply go out for takeaways or restaurant meals. My daughter is great as she meal preps a week in advance including her snacks. I worried whether she will find a husband who will help her in the kitchen. When my kids drop in, I know its because they are hungry and in need of a good feed.
This post is incredible!!! Thank you for all your posts and information. I did mean bottling ...we say "canning" and it means to bottle ...go figure.. And I would Love to eat this way! I am quite sick and limited (fibromyalgia) but hoping for better future after finding Ray Peat.

sladerunner69

Yeah snatching is not functional and is very dangeorud and does not benefit the spinal column or posterior chain long term, although it trains those muscles to death.
Seems like a crossfit guy to me. They love their fat oxidation and exhaustive rep schemes. Snatch until you snap.

Footscray

G'day Ella, a few messages back you mentioned that you were lowering your sugars and increasing your starches? I've chatted to you last year and loved your responses, thanks again. I seem to keep my blood sugars more stable with starches (liver not storing sugars as good as could be yet?) but thought that fruit over bread was always the idea? I also work hard as a carpenter, but trying to implement 'Peat' ideas will sometimes crash sugar levels. Coffee unfortunately does this often.

kayumochi

Coudl you quickly summarize Jim Fixx's diets in less then 8 words?

Jim Fixx, another of many runners who probably died of chronic training rather than anything related to diet ... someone used to keep a list of obituaries of men in their prime, all runners, who just dropped dead one day. "He was so healthy!" they all said ... the numbers are astounding.

sladerunner69

Jim Fixx, another of many runners who probably died of chronic training rather than anything related to diet ... someone used to keep a list of obituaries of men in their prime, all runners, who just dropped dead one day. "He was so healthy!" they all said ... the numbers are astounding.

I would do just about anything to see that list! I have been very curious about the statistics regarding endurance athlete longevity, but no one has been willing to do the math on it. Its very similar to immigration and crime, the authorities will do whatever they can to prevent such statistics from being published if the trials aren't confirming the paradigm.

kayumochi

I would do just about anything to see that list! I have been very curious about the statistics regarding endurance athlete longevity, but no one has been willing to do the math on it. Its very similar to immigration and crime, the authorities will do whatever they can to prevent such statistics from being published if the trials aren't confirming the paradigm.

Art deVany used to post on that subject often ... can't recall who provided an extensive list ...

kayumochi

Art deVany used to post on that subject often ... can't recall who provided an extensive list ...

BTW, some evil vegans started a rumour that Art deVany had died and Art embarrassed them ... he is active on Facebook again and is going strong at 80 years old ...

Note

Are you guys sure Ray said that 30 BMI it's optimal?
I just checked and I would weight 176(80 kg) pounds and my heigh it's 5"5 in.(164 cm)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals