"Biggest Loser" Fitness Guru (age 51) Suffers Serious Heart Attack

Mito

Interesting how the news media is portraying Bob Harper's heart attack. Calling him a health and exercise guru and blaming the heart attack completely on bad genetics. On the national news they even interviewed a cardiologist from the prestigious Cleveland Clinic who basically said sometimes there is nothing you can do if you have bad genes.

Bob Harper Suffers Serious Heart Attack
"Bob -- a fitness nut -- says the heart attack is all genetics. His mom died from a heart attack."

Here's a diet he was promoting and probably eats similar himself.
Fat
.30 (30% fat) x 2000 (daily calorie goal) = 600 kcals / 9 (there are 9 calories in every gram of fat = 66.6 grams of fat per day
Carbohydrates
.30 x 2000 = 600 kcals / 4 (there are 4 calories in every gram of carbohydrates) = 150 grams of carbohydrates per day
Protein
.40 x 2000 = 800 kcals / 4 (there are 4 calories in every gram of protein) = 200 grams of protein per day

Good fats: avocados, seeds, egg yolks, dark meat chicken or turkey, nuts and nut butters.
Good carbohydrates: whole wheat or multigrain breads, brown rice, fruits, vegetables, and oats.
Protein: egg whites, lean chicken, lean turkey, lean beef, 0% Greek yogurt and tofu

Bob Harper Gives Us the Skinny On His New Carb-Friendly Diet

Ella

Forum Supporter
Obviously good fats and good carbs are not good for the heart. Hmmm, peanut butter on toast - very estrogenic, high in pufas and don't even get me going on mycotoxins. Anyone remember, the Kraft contaminated peanut butter incident? The fitness industry sure love their peanut butter.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy?
Peanut butter also contains an abundance of "good" fats, or, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. One serving has 8 grams of monounsaturated fats and 4 grams of polyunsaturated fats. These "good" fats help lower cholesterol, reduce heart disease, and lower blood pressure.3 They're also anti-inflammatory, which may help with recovery and reduce your risk for metabolic syndrome.4

Even though it has 16 grams of total fat, 80 percent of the total consists of healthy unsaturated fats - Eeeek!!!

If one serving gives 4 grams of PUFAs, then one serving is way too much. I doubt though these fitness junkies would stop at just one serving. Add this serving to an already high FFAs environment due to adrenaline driven metabolism and you're asking for metabolic syndrome. Yeah too easy to blame genetics.

I need to chuck out that peanut butter I have sitting in the fridge. I got strong cravings for it- I have not eaten it for 30 years. I had two serves of the peanut butter and thought, "Nuh don't crave it anymore," so I'll probably go another 30 years before I crave it again.

:-D What? The part about her audience loving her sweater - or how she took over the conversation? Or how he was all over the place with diet?

Edit: at least you commanded my attention enough to read them @Such_Saturation. Kudos....

It's on the first article, theres China Study freaks and paleo guys, but somehow they aren't fighting LOL

tara

I need to chuck out that peanut butter I have sitting in the fridge. I got strong cravings for it- I have not eaten it for 30 years.
Lol. If your peanut butter is 30 years old, I agree its due for chucking. Along with some of the things in the back of my cupboards. :)

L

lollipop

It's on the first article, theres China Study freaks and paleo guys, but somehow they aren't fighting LOL
Oops - missed the first - saw the second. Going now - funny! Surprised no arguments between the two camps...

tankasnowgod

Well, if Bob Harper says it's all genetics, then case closed! No need to worry about thyroid levels or excess iron or fat soluble vitamins like E and K2, or calcium and magnesium intake, and so on.

tankasnowgod

Very close in age to jogging guru Jim Fixx, when he had his fatal heart attack, at age 52.

Very close in age to jogging guru Jim Fixx, when he had his fatal heart attack, at age 52.

Association between running a lot, pretending to know about nutrition, and incidence of acute coronary events at age 52: a retrospective cohort study.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Lol. If your peanut butter is 30 years old, I agree its due for chucking. Along with some of the things in the back of my cupboards. :)
Hahaha tara, I for one being pedantic about all things oils and toxins would not go near a 30 year old nut butter. I was craving it so much that I made a trip to the supermarket just to buy it. It took me ages trying to locate one without added oils. I thought I must had lowered my estrogen levels way too far. I now regret buying it because I'm will have to chuck it out. Not sure what animal would touch it either. We have lots of possum's and other indigenous wildlife, they prefer fruit and sweet veggies and the dogs steal my eggs.

Some animals that eat peanuts include squirrels, pigs, field mice and rats, although rats are sensitive to the fungi that grows on peanuts. A variety of birds eat peanuts as well, including towhees, grackles, crows, ravens, jays, woodpeckers, northern cardinals and dark-eyed juncos. Humans too are sensitive to fungi that grows on peanuts - it is one of then deadliest of toxins used for biological warfare.

"Gentetics can be very powerful, even if you do all the right things, if you have the bad genes, you can have a heart attack"

I might as well start digging my grave. We are all doomed by our derelict genomes that are maladapted to a modern life.

Why was he encouraging fat people to lose weight? Didn't he know at the time that fat people are genetically preconditioned to be fat? He must have had one of those god experiences when he had the heart attack that genes rule. Maybe he will mend his ways and stop torturing fat people. If he was lean and suffered a heart attack at such a young age, what are the risks for the overweight, obese and morbidly obese?

The fact he announced to the world he changed his diet may have been due to health issues he was struggling with. Looks can be very deceiving when it comes to health.

wasnt he vegan?

Yes, important to know exactly what his previous diet was like. Does anyone know exactly?

Calling him a health and exercise guru and blaming the heart attack completely on bad genetics

And Fred Kummerow exersiced a lot, every single day, and is a centenarian so..

101 Year Old Fred Kummerow Exercised A Lot And Eats Whole Grains, Oatmeal, And Vegetables

You don't have to be a fitness fanatic to be healthy but if you can't walk up a fight of stairs without completely losing your breath then you're not in an optimal state.

Why was he encouraging fat people to lose weight?

Maybe he will mend his ways and stop torturing fat people.

Its a TV show where fat people willingly sign up. No one forces them. Why are you treating "fat" people as victims?

tara

Some animals that eat peanuts include squirrels, pigs, field mice and rats,
I've had success using peanut butter in mouse traps. The potentially harmful effects of the mould toxins being of lesser concern in that context.

tara

mujuro

Seems like a crossfit guy to me. They love their fat oxidation and exhaustive rep schemes. Snatch until you snap.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals