BIG FAT DIRTY PIG

"In this country, lard is toxic beause the pigs are fed large quantities of corn and soy beans. Besides the natural toxicity of the seed oils, the oils are contaminated with agricultural chemicals. Corn farmers have a very high incidence of cancer, presumably because corn "requires" the use of more pesticides. This probably makes corn oil's toxicity greater than it would be otherwise. but even the pure, organically grown material is toxic, because of its unsaturation."

Besides PUFA's, there is more....

"There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig. A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand, a cow takes a good 24 hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health. Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in its system to be stored in its more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption. Another issue with the pig is that it has very few functional sweat glands and can barely sweat at all. (3) Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body. When you consume pork meat, you too get all these toxins that weren’t eliminated from the pig. None of us needs more toxins in our systems." -Dr Axe

"Pork is now fed corn and soy beans, so lard is usually as toxic as those oils; use only lean pork."
-Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20210817_120143.jpg
    20210817_120143.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210817_120358.jpg
    20210817_120358.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 29

ALS

Pigs have an unusually high DAO content in their kidneys, which is why they can eat crap (spoiled food) that would make us sick. DAO is the enzyme that degrades histamine. DAO supplements are usually extracted from porcine kidneys, however they can also be made from pea sprouts (grown in the dark to increase the DAO content).

Ideonaut

"In this country, lard is toxic beause the pigs are fed large quantities of corn and soy beans. Besides the natural toxicity of the seed oils, the oils are contaminated with agricultural chemicals. Corn farmers have a very high incidence of cancer, presumably because corn "requires" the use of more pesticides. This probably makes corn oil's toxicity greater than it would be otherwise. but even the pure, organically grown material is toxic, because of its unsaturation."

Besides PUFA's, there is more....

"There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig. A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand, a cow takes a good 24 hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health. Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in its system to be stored in its more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption. Another issue with the pig is that it has very few functional sweat glands and can barely sweat at all. (3) Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body. When you consume pork meat, you too get all these toxins that weren’t eliminated from the pig. None of us needs more toxins in our systems." -Dr Axe

"Pork is now fed corn and soy beans, so lard is usually as toxic as those oils; use only lean pork."
-Ray Peat

Thanks for the useful info!

OP
Rinse & rePeat

"Of the over 200 mycotoxins identified to date, at least seven have been reported to cause disease in swine. Some fungi produce more than one mycotoxin. Several different fungi can produce different mycotoxins in a single mixed feed. The toxins may be additive or may potentiate one another. When metabolized, they may be converted into other toxic substances. While toxicologic effects are numerous and often confusing, one should be careful not to implicate mycotoxins in disease processes without credible evidence.

Mycotoxins produce their toxic effects in several ways, including impairment of metabolic, nutritional or endocrine functions. Many mycotoxins damage the liver, reduce average daily feed intake, growth and feed efficiency. Some are teratogenic or carcinogenic. Some are immunosuppressive and predispose pigs to secondary diseases. Several mycotoxins decrease the reproductive performance of sows. Metabolites sometimes are passed in the milk of sows to their litters. The effect of mycotoxins may vary with the amount ingested, the time over which it is consumed, and the age of exposed swine. Young pigs usually are much more susceptible than adults. Within a herd there can be great variability in response to a mycotoxin."

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"If we were to rank popular meats by their healthfulness, the order would be (1) fish and shellfish, (2) ruminants (beef, lamb, goat), and (3) birds (duck, chicken, turkey). In last place would be pork."
-perfecthealthdiet.com

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Pork consumption has a strong epidemiological association with cirrhosis of the liver. Startlingly, pork may be even more strongly associated with alcoholic cirrhosis than alcohol itself!"
-Perfecthealthdiet.com

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"A significant correlation was obtained between prevalence of multiple sclerosis and … pork consumption (r = 0.87, p less than 0.001). There was no significant correlation with beef consumption. [4]

As noted earlier, a correlation coefficient of 0.87 is extremely high, and a p-value below 0.001 also shows a very strong relationship. MS is much more likely to befall pork eaters. Such a strong correlation makes it look like pork, or something found in pork, is the cause of MS.

Nanji and Norad further note that beef, the “other red meat,” is not associated with MS" -perfecthealthdiet.com

yerrag

I have mixed feelings about pork.

Believers in Judaism and Islam alike don't eat pork. But many people in India and China eat pork, and avoid beef because they consider ox to be beasts of burden, and do honest work. But health-wise, despite what's said about pork being unholy by scripture and that its flesh resembles human flesh that it's easy to transmit disease eating it, I can't see convincing proof that it's unhealthful. In what way do non-pork eaters exhibit better health in any epidemiological study?

I used to avoid pork after my naturopathic doctor told me about it. For many years. I have not observed better health from avoiding pork. During that time, I was very often with allergic rhinitis, but what really put my allergies away for good was going cold turkey for 4 years on PUFA, and continuing to live a life of abstention - not from pork nor beef - but from PUFA.

Besides, can you enjoy roast cow or lamb with cracking skin? Nor enjoy Jamon Iberica, where the pig roams free on land with plenty of acorns, and whose fat is from the acorns, supposedly? And pork is easy to cook, as it isn't tough as beef. And it doesn't require large tracts of land to raise, and isn't picky with food, so can pretty much scavenge off our leftovers.

But I'd like to have pork that's got less PUFA in it. And I entertain thought of raising pig in the countryside, in a province where plenty of coconut comes from, so that I can feed the pork a better mix of feed, where coconut flesh leftovers, after the coconut oil is extracted to make VCO, refined coconut oil, etc - are a large component of the feed formulation. And I could sell it at a premium, as it deserves a premium and the feed would be more costly as well.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have mixed feelings about pork.

Believers in Judaism and Islam alike don't eat pork. But many people in India and China eat pork, and avoid beef because they consider ox to be beasts of burden, and do honest work. But health-wise, despite what's said about pork being unholy by scripture and that its flesh resembles human flesh that it's easy to transmit disease eating it, I can't see convincing proof that it's unhealthful. In what way do non-pork eaters exhibit better health in any epidemiological study?

I used to avoid pork after my naturopathic doctor told me about it. For many years. I have not observed better health from avoiding pork. During that time, I was very often with allergic rhinitis, but what really put my allergies away for good was going cold turkey for 4 years on PUFA, and continuing to live a life of abstention - not from pork nor beef - but from PUFA.

Besides, can you enjoy roast cow or lamb with cracking skin? Nor enjoy Jamon Iberica, where the pig roams free on land with plenty of acorns, and whose fat is from the acorns, supposedly? And pork is easy to cook, as it isn't tough as beef. And it doesn't require large tracts of land to raise, and isn't picky with food, so can pretty much scavenge off our leftovers.

But I'd like to have pork that's got less PUFA in it. And I entertain thought of raising pig in the countryside, in a province where plenty of coconut comes from, so that I can feed the pork a better mix of feed, where coconut flesh leftovers, after the coconut oil is extracted to make VCO, refined coconut oil, etc - are a large component of the feed formulation. And I could sell it at a premium, as it deserves a premium and the feed would be more costly as well.

In just part one, of the three part series that Charlie posted above, is some convincing evidence that pork causes disease. I posted some excerpts from them in several posts above. I will read through the other two parts tomorrow :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Pigs can however digest meat. In practicality however, we don’t typically feed pigs T-bone steaks. Most pigs eat a combination of plant-based ingredients we will discuss shortly. In fact it can be dangerous to consume pork from pigs fed raw meat because of a parasite called trichinae that resides in the muscle tissue and can be transferred to humans."

yerrag

It's true about trichinosis. I used to cook thick pork chops that are juicy, and that involves not over cooking it. So having it cooked just enough to be tender involves sometimes undercooking it at times, and the risk of trichinosis is always there.

But it's been fine for me until one day when I switched from a vinegar-based marinade to a spice rub.

The next day I felt gassy but the gas wasn't coming out and I was constipated. Luckily, I took copper acetate and probiotics and cascara sagrada and I was then able to resolve the issue that I couldn't fix the day before and I couldn't sleep. I slept. better and the next day I was fine. Since I suspected trichinosis, I had to continue taking the copper acetate (in a capsule as the taste is gross) to make sure the bacteria is gone.

Vinegar (and lemon juice as well) as marinade does the trick. I have to thank @Elderflower for a post she made about vinegar being important as use for marinade for pork chops and similar dishes involving pork.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It's true about trichinosis. I used to cook thick pork chops that are juicy, and that involves not over cooking it. So having it cooked just enough to be tender involves sometimes undercooking it at times, and the risk of trichinosis is always there.

But it's been fine for me until one day when I switched from a vinegar-based marinade to a spice rub.

The next day I felt gassy but the gas wasn't coming out and I was constipated. Luckily, I took copper acetate and probiotics and cascara sagrada and I was then able to resolve the issue that I couldn't fix the day before and I couldn't sleep. I slept. better and the next day I was fine. Since I suspected trichinosis, I had to continue taking the copper acetate (in a capsule as the taste is gross) to make sure the bacteria is gone.

Vinegar (and lemon juice as well) as marinade does the trick. I have to thank @Elderflower for a post she made about vinegar being important as use for marinade for pork chops and similar dishes involving pork.
Marinating for sickness prevention is new to me. Hood to know! Learning about worms in pork a decade ago is what turned me off to pork. The more I learn about pork the easier it is to stay away from it.

yerrag

I'm an equal opportunity eater lol. So many people don't eat stuff that are nutritious because of some reason.

Doctors will say liver cause high uric acid, and there goes the copper, and vit A and k2. Same thing with oysters because it's a scavenger and eats waste.. Lobsters and crabs and shrimp as well-scavengers. And they lose out on copper, and then they have to supplement. And those that don't they have some issues.

I used to buy expensive Himalayan salt. What a waste. I just needed sea salt that has iodine and its just as useful.

Notice that Ray Peat doesn't talk much about many things that involve prohibition, as that may end up with people avoiding foods that matter, and paying extra for foods that don't matter.

If you're deficient, you're still sick even if you avoid the animals with germs. If you're not deficient, you can handle many things that come your way because your body has the energy and metabolism to withstand insults.

I'm certainly not going to eat raw pork, but I'm not avoiding eating pork as I have a healthy respect for the critters in them. I'm not avoiding rivers because I can drown if I get drunk and take a swim in calm rivers, but I can learn about reading a river and knowing if I should walk a stretch of it instead of go suicidal kayaking white water that tells me I'm going to be eaten up by the current.

You have to manage your risks well enough to get the most out of life.

famalalam

I prefer pork over beef. It tastes better, and honestly, pork is way more impressive nutritionally compared to beef. It seems mostly like an american thing to avoid pork.
You should be sticking to low-fat regardless of the animal you're consuming so the pufa content isn't really that much of a problem.

rei

I prefer pork over beef. It tastes better, and honestly, pork is way more impressive nutritionally compared to beef. It seems mostly like an american thing to avoid pork.
You should be sticking to low-fat regardless of the animal you're consuming so the pufa content isn't really that much of a problem.
are you trying to make every sentence contrary to reality?