Big disappointment that Dr. Peat didn’t live longer — I wish I didn’t feel this way

I feel devastated about his death and feel bad for Katherine. But I also am very disappointed. He lived an ordinary lifespan, not a really long one.

And that really bothers me and gets me to think.

Do you feel this way too?

Ritchie

It is the elephant in the room. Although I thought maybe too soon to be talking about it analytically.

tankasnowgod

I feel devastated about his death and feel bad for Katherine. But I also am very disappointed. He lived an ordinary lifespan, not a really long one.

And that really bothers me and gets me to think.

Do you feel this way too?
Like, you mean, 150 or 200 or something?

Peat did live longer than the "average" lifespan. In the US, it's a little over 74 years old for a man. Worldwide, the highest average male lifespan is about 82. Peat was 86. That's 16% longer than the "average" male in the US.

tankasnowgod

It is the elephant in the room. Although I thought maybe too soon to be talking about it analytically.
No, it's not. Peat lived 12 years longer than the average man in the US. And even a few years longer than the longest average male lifespans, by country.

Besides, I don't know that he ever made claims about "life extension," or anything like that. He didn't write a book called "The 120 Year Diet," like Roy Walford did.

OP
ecstatichamster
Like, you mean, 150 or 200 or something?

Peat did live longer than the "average" lifespan. In the US, it's a little over 74 years old for a man. Worldwide, the highest average male lifespan is about 82. Peat was 86. That's 16% longer than the "average" male in the US.

Maybe 95 or 100 I was thinking.

joaquin

We were all hoping Ray would live to be 110. On a positive note, while looking at his photographs, zooming in, I can't see any wrinkles. And I assume these were taken in the last five to ten years.

Apple

To tell the truth I'm very disappointed .
I expected him to live to a real old age. Ray peat mentioned Thomas "Old Tom" Parr who apparently lived to 152 yo. "The results were published in the book De ortu et natura sanguinis by John Betts as an attachment. Harvey examined Parr's body and found all his internal organs to be in a perfect state. No apparent cause of death could be determined, and it was assumed that Parr had simply died of overexposure because he had been too well fed."
Sure Ray Peat was very enthusiastic on this subject and didn't plan to die soon .
86 is not old age for a health guru.
We deserve to know the truth.

tankasnowgod

Linus Pauling was 93. Abram Hoffer, 92. I think Julia Child was 92, as well. It's rare for even the most knowledgeable to live past that age, though it may be more frequent if you live at a higher elevation.

Plus, there is the possibility that the spirit just gets tired of this realm after a while. There's a part of me that would like to try for those longer lifespans (and by that, I mean 150 or 200 or more), but there is another part of me that would be very happy to exit this mortal coil far, far quicker. Like, let me out of this madhouse!

Advocate2021

Thank you for being vulnerable and courageous in coming out here and expressing this as many have been asking the same question.

When I shared with my mother what had happened (and she is not really part of the tribe but knows how much I adore and love Dr. Peat and the fixture he has been in my life for the last 25 years or so), she said - well perhaps he prolonged his life by many years and would have died much sooner had he not applied this health wisdom. Even though we do not subscribe to genetic determinism, there are constitutional/transgenerational epigenetic factors and lifetime damages and stressors some experience that others do not. I have seen mention here that Dr. Peat may have sustained lung damage due to radiation from childhood? and he has shared many of his health challenges he endured in childhood and young adulthood- so perhaps he had vulnerabilities that, had he not gleaned this incredible wisdom about health and preservation , he would have been compromised and died sooner. He has always also been extremely physically sensitive- i can certainly relate- and the smallest infraction could really effect him.

tankasnowgod

John_wheaties

To tell the truth I'm very disappointed .
I expected him to live to a real old age. Ray peat mentioned Thomas "Old Tom" Parr who apparently lived to 152 yo. "The results were published in the book De ortu et natura sanguinis by John Betts as an attachment. Harvey examined Parr's body and found all his internal organs to be in a perfect state. No apparent cause of death could be determined, and it was assumed that Parr had simply died of overexposure because he had been too well fed."
Sure Ray Peat was very enthusiastic on this subject and didn't plan to die soon .
86 is not old age for a health guru.
We deserve to know the truth.
When did he ever call himself a health guru?

Yeah I’ve been thinking about it. My Dad passed away two years ago aged 87. He ate absolute garbage but was a really chilled human, very low stress. I’d find him sometimes just sat on the couch smiling, happily content, no tv on, no music, no book, just sitting and smiling. Haha.

But the last 2 years of his life were horrendous with cancer and dementia which obviously Ray expertly dodged.

Maybe longevity is not really the answer but it’s more about quality over quantity. Maybe there is a spiritual aspect that when it’s your time, it’s your time. For 86 years Ray seemed in great health, especially with his mind.

But yeah I definitely get how you feel. It still feels trippy that he’s gone. I was expecting him to go much longer, maybe even in the 100’s.

ianfis

I thought it was the elephant in the room too but without a cause of watch it’s hard to tell. The thing also to consider is he started peating pretty late, and who knows how stressful his life was and maybe he couldn’t overcome that. My theory that goes against the “elephant in the room” is he may have been victim of spike protein shedding. It’s the only new health phenomenon even his work would struggle against and would also result in a sudden death.

ironfist

I'm pretty much in agreement with the thinking that MAYBE he would've died much sooner?

Maybe his genes were set to die at 75 and he lived to 86.

That's a success.

Advocate2021

I thought it was the elephant in the room too but without a cause of watch it’s hard to tell. The thing also to consider is he started peating pretty late, and who knows how stressful his life was and maybe he couldn’t overcome that. My theory that goes against the “elephant in the room” is he may have been victim of spike protein shedding. It’s the only new health phenomenon even his work would struggle against and would also result in a sudden death.
This exact thought regarding the shedding came to me today. there has been much talk of this of late. wow.

opethfeldt

I always interpreted the Ray Peat lifestyle as a way to maximize and optimize youthspan, not so much lifespan. For me, personally, living to 100+ isn't very appealing if I'm a shell of a man by that point, completely dependent on others. Peat was not and lived to what I consider a ripe old age. So yeah, it doesn't bother me. I can see how it might bother someone, though.

Roni123@

Peat is gone too soon, there's no telling he lives so much above average, he died too soon, there's something wrong.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I always interpreted the Ray Peat lifestyle as a way to maximize and optimize youthspan, not so much lifespan. For me, personally, living to 100+ isn't very appealing if I'm a shell of a man by that point, completely dependent on others. Peat was not and lived to what I consider a ripe old age. So yeah, it doesn't bother me. I can see how it might bother someone, though.
That’s how I feel too but selfishly I would have been happy to see him live longer. Perhaps he was just ready.