Big Belly After Menopause Source Of Estrogen Dominance

Lianda

I'm post menopausal, with Hashimoto's. I've had a partial hysterectomy (ovaries not removed), with significant fat around my middle since going into menopause 12 years ago. My doctor is recommending natural progesterone cream (the ProgestE did nothing for me) - but he also wants me to take natural estrogen (not sure which form). I refused to take the estrogen part, saying that I was undoubtably estrogen dominant and that my stomach fat had enough estrogen in it to provide what my body needs...

But reading John Lee, MD, he says that after a hysterectomy the ovaries slowly stop producing estrogen. Should I get a combo cream with a very low dose of estrogen? I'm confused about what to do.

Now I'm using progesterone cream (about 100 mg) and concerned because I'm getting more unwanted facial hair on my chin (UGH!!!!), and breaking out with pimples in the same area.

My worst Hashimoto's symptoms are very slow digestion and heartburn - I'm on NDT, take about 600-700 mg of various forms of magnesium (would run back in the house during a fire to get it!)... very low appetite, muscle cramping in lower body, not great sleep - and significantly overweight. I do not diet. Gluten free.

Also, my body temps are highest right before going to bed at night. Is this normal?

MistyH

Lianda, I agree, you do have plenty of estrogen in the stomach fat. Both John Lee and Ray Peat have stated that progesterone "wakes up" the cell that the excitotoxicity of the estrogen had previously silenced. It sounds like this might be your case.

I'm going through hell right now. I'm taking about 200 mg. of progesterone and I feel like I'm getting fatter, more excitable, more adrenaline than ever before but I'm going to push through it. I've seen some Women are taking in upwards of 500-600 mg. of 10% progesterone. I won't give up until my symptoms decrease. I've been going through estrogen hell for 5 years now and in just the last several months have added progesterone. While I'm frustrated, I know it's working because I dose during really stressful estrogenic symptoms. Bladder for instance...last night felt pressure so I dosed up 150 mg before bed and the symptom went away.

I'm also increasing my vitamin e to 800 mg. daily. I've just placed an order for Calcium d Glucarate and will do a coffee enema daily along with my carrot and mushrooms.

I hope this helps...if you want to keep or start a menopause thread, I'm game.

MistyH

The increase in body temp. could be cortisol. How are you sleeping?

OP
Lianda

Lianda

and will do a coffee enema daily along with my carrot and mushrooms.
I sure hope the carrots and mushrooms don't get stuck when you're doing the enema! (sorry I couldn't resist)

I think I'm going to do saliva testing to see what my actual levels are of progesterone (and cortisol levels). I think breaking with pus pimples is a sign of something NOT good, and also getting stray hairs on my chin (UGH!!!) ... and wondering if I'm not "over-dosing". The progesterone doesn't seem to have improved my sleep - or any other markers that are mentioned. Of course, I don't know how osteoporosis or heart disease and other things are being affected... one can only hope about that!

When I think about what "menopause" is, I think of just going through the changes, not on the other side. But I'd be interested in seeing what other women are dealing with as we're aging. You look a lot younger than me (I'm closer to 66 than 65).

Thanks for taking the time to answer-

mbeth

Lianda, I agree, you do have plenty of estrogen in the stomach fat. Both John Lee and Ray Peat have stated that progesterone "wakes up" the cell that the excitotoxicity of the estrogen had previously silenced. It sounds like this might be your case.

I'm going through hell right now. I'm taking about 200 mg. of progesterone and I feel like I'm getting fatter, more excitable, more adrenaline than ever before but I'm going to push through it. I've seen some Women are taking in upwards of 500-600 mg. of 10% progesterone. I won't give up until my symptoms decrease. I've been going through estrogen hell for 5 years now and in just the last several months have added progesterone. While I'm frustrated, I know it's working because I dose during really stressful estrogenic symptoms. Bladder for instance...last night felt pressure so I dosed up 150 mg before bed and the symptom went away.

I'm also increasing my vitamin e to 800 mg. daily. I've just placed an order for Calcium d Glucarate and will do a coffee enema daily along with my carrot and mushrooms.

I hope this helps...if you want to keep or start a menopause thread, I'm game.
Have you started a menopause thread?