Bifido, L Reuteri

M

member 14952

What do you think about this product? It releases bifido bacteria into the large intestine. Is this where bifido are supposed to be?
Also I am Looking for a good L Reuteri supplement, if anyone knows where to get one.

OP
M

member 14952

loess

What do you think about this product? It releases bifido bacteria into the large intestine. Is this where bifido are supposed to be?
Also I am Looking for a good L Reuteri supplement, if anyone knows where to get one.
Yes, bifidobacterium are predominant in the lumen of the large intestine. I use a similar product in capsule form (Seeking Health ProBiota Bifido). I plan to start making yogurt using Custom Probiotics D-Lactate Free powder which contains four strains of Bifidobacteria as well as L. rhamnosus and L. salivarius.

The L. reuteri strains in BioGaia gastrus are good, but they only contain small amounts (~200 million CFU). The way to increase the count is by making L. reuteri yogurt using the BioGaia gastrus tablets crushed/pulverized into a powder. The tablets are flavored with mint and mandarin, but the taste doesn't show up in the yogurt, and is virtually eliminated entirely in successive batches using cultures from the previous batch.

loess

But remember the BioGaia is saliva activated. It is in their brochure.
Why would this make a difference whether you're chewing the tablets or consuming the bacteria in the yogurt? Either way, you're exposing them to saliva.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've used half this bottle... It was making me gassy. I usually avoid fermented foods but I heard so many good things about this I thought I would try it. Anyway, I don't think I'm a good candidate for probiotics..

I’m currently trialing this one too. Admittedly I haven’t been super consistent with it though due to changing jobs. The jury is still out… Nothing positive or negative noted so far.

Lollipop2

Why would this make a difference whether you're chewing the tablets or consuming the bacteria in the yogurt? Either way, you're exposing them to saliva.
Are they ground tablets added to regular yoghurt? Then correct would not matter. Are they trying to use pulverized tablets to create the yoghurt? That might matter. To be honest, I remember someone trying to use the tablets to create the yoghurt and did not have much luck. This was years ago, maybe 2016, 2017?

LadyRae

Are they ground tablets added to regular yoghurt? Then correct would not matter. Are they trying to use pulverized tablets to create the yoghurt? That might matter. To be honest, I remember someone trying to use the tablets to create the yoghurt and did not have much luck. This was years ago, maybe 2016, 2017?
Mine are capsules. Easy to open. Nice loose powder.

loess

Pulverized tablets used to create yogurt. I've done it successfully. The first batch tends to be much thinner than successive batches. Others who have made L. reuteri yogurt have found the same result with the first batch, or finding that it separates into curds and whey. Even then, they have had successful results using the curds and whey to inoculate further batches which then turn out well.

L reuteri bacterial numbers - Dr. William Davis

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Pulverized tablets used to create yogurt. I've done it successfully. The first batch tends to be much thinner than successive batches. Others who have made L. reuteri yogurt have found the same result with the first batch, or finding that it separates into curds and whey. Even then, they have had successful results using the curds and whey to inoculate further batches which then turn out well.

L reuteri bacterial numbers - Dr. William Davis
Very cool. Perhaps you can post a detailed recipe for others reading this and are interested?

OP
M

member 14952

I already asked on another post but I will try my luck here: What do you think about A1 milk opioids and bifido strains? Is it good when they are in the large intestine? In order to degrade opioids? Thanks

loess

Very cool. Perhaps you can post a detailed recipe for others reading this and are interested?
I had linked it in my first reply but here it is again. I used a quart of unpasteurized whole milk with some additional added cream and sterilized it by heating to 180 degrees F and holding it there for about 10 minutes. Then cool the milk down to below 100 degrees F before proceeding with the rest of the process. The first time I made it, I did the prolonged 36 hour ferment that he suggests and it separated. Rather I found that about 20 hours worked better for me; while this doesn't yield quite as many CFU as the longer ferment, it stops short of the separation into curds and whey.

Lollipop2

I had linked it in my first reply but here it is again. I used a quart of unpasteurized whole milk with some additional added cream and sterilized it by heating to 180 degrees F and holding it there for about 10 minutes. Then cool the milk down to below 100 degrees F before proceeding with the rest of the process. The first time I made it, I did the prolonged 36 hour ferment that he suggests and it separated. Rather I found that about 20 hours worked better for me; while this doesn't yield quite as many CFU as the longer ferment, it stops short of the separation into curds and whey.

Fantastic! Thank you :):

Apple

L Reuteri produces d-lactate (which is worse than L-lactate).
Most of commercial yoghurts are inoculated with L Casei (produces L-lactate , which is safer) and bifido. I would stay away from anything else. (No to kefir or sauerkraut).
D-lactic acidosis is no good

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

L Reuteri produces d-lactate (which is worse than L-lactate).
Most of commercial yoghurts are inoculated with L Casei (produces L-lactate , which is safer) and bifido. I would stay away from anything else. (No to kefir or sauerkraut).
D-lactic acidosis is no good

It also produces L-lactate, and in this study it produced almost 4x as much L-lactate than D-lactate. The body produces D-lactate, so as long as it can be metabolized it's not bad.

Some lactic acid bacteria can produce a mixture of L- and D-lactate (Stiles and Holzapfel 1997). Although D-lactate is not a highly toxic compound, D-lactate accumulation in blood (i.e., 3 > mmol/L, Petersen, 2005) might cause health problems due to a poor capacity of metabolizing D-lactate in human (Pohanka 2020; Puwanant et al. 2005). However, more recent studies have shown that D-lactate accumulation may only occur in cases of impaired D-lactate metabolism or a disturbed gastrointestinal function following any clinical symptoms, including short bowel syndrome (Connolly et al. 2005; Ku et al. 2006). In this study, L. reuteri IDCC 3701 was found to predominantly produces L-lactate (20.5 mg/mL, which is equivalent to 78.8%) rather than D-lactate (5.5 mg/mL, 21.2%), respectively.

Apple

It also produces L-lactate, and in this study it produced almost 4x as much L-lactate than D-lactate. The body produces D-lactate, so as long as it can be metabolized it's not bad.
I only wanted to point out that commercial yoghurts can be easily used to inoculate milk to make yoghurt and type of bacteria they use is ok. Several years ago I saw LBulgaricus on many commercial yoghurts, but now they left only L Casei and bifidum. They probably know about d lactate acidosis.
Anyway I agree with Dr Peat on that , up to half of a cup of yoghurt after meal is probably safe ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals