Beyond Mitochondria, Cells Use What Energy Source? Answer: Melanin By Far

Arrade

Ok I still don;t understand what you are were saying about melanotan. It should be pro-energy if it increases melanin. I think you all got that confused with melatonin

Hugh Johnson

Why can people survive (albeit not thrive) in dim lighting or even darkness, but will die without food after only a few weeks?
If the research is correct, it may have something to do with glucose, protein and fats which are needed to construct stuff. Also, CO2 needs to be produced to take calcium from the cell and the cell needs micronutrients too.

Simple energy won't do any of those things.

Arrade

I‘d say the negative effects of Melanotan are because it’s probably highly estrogenic. „Side effects“ are said to be slimming by extreme curbing of hunger (serotonin?) and high libido (estradiol?).
We have posted studies here on RPF that report that estrogens act on certain olfaction receptors in the skin and the GPE-Receptor and thereby promote melanogenesis while most androgens, niacinamide and progesterone prevent melanogenesis when they bind those receptors.
I noticed things that pointed to higher serotonin and estrogen from the Mt2. You may very well be on to something, and I think I’m off the stuff!
I don’t really need it anyway, thanks for your post!
It also scares me that it interacts with the brain

LeeLemonoil

The risk seems to high to play around with this peptide - I really think it's estrogenic. Maybe Canthaxanthin is a safe alternative for people tha seek to increase tanning. Brownisj carotenids the accumulate in skin layers ... though thats nothing to do with melanin obviously

managing

I forwarded the article to Dr. Peat because I thought he would find it interesting. Here was his response:

"They are probably honestly committed to the idea that cells expend a lot of energy on “ion pumping,” but I suspect that there might be a motive to attract investments in a new cheap energy source. I think photons and electrons are centrally involved in cell functions, but I don’t think melanin is doing what they suggest. Gilbert Ling showed that “ion pumping” would take more than 1500% of the energy available to cells, not just more than 50%. There aren’t ion pumps of the sort commonly believed."

Xisca

Even if it is not ion pump, it is still valid. But do not concentrate on melanine in this article. HYDROGEN yes. And proteins!
There is another thread at the moment quoting the same article, just considering another direction...

Xisca

Look at Hitoshi post.
For me it shows below. About water as energy beyond glucose.
Think about water or hydrogen motors.... we do the same!
Lets talk in the other thread!

managing

Look at Hitoshi post.
For me it shows below. About water as energy beyond glucose.
Think about water or hydrogen motors.... we do the same!
Lets talk in the other thread!
could you link?

Xisca

On my phone no.
I can make a up.
Title start with beyond glucose - water...

cedric

Beheaded cuckroach can still live a few days.
People in Chine eat cuckroaches because of melanins.
We have melanins inside our bodies. Substanitia nigra, locus coeruleus, inner ear, eyes- to name a few.
Stres, obesity , pain are mediated by melanins.
Proopiomelanocortin - Wikipedia

Derivatives[edit]
proopiomelanocortin derivatives
γ-MSH ACTH β-lipotropin

α-MSH CLIP γ-lipotropin β-endorphin

β-MSH
The large molecule of POMC is the source of several important biologically active substances . POMC can be cleaved enzymatically into the following peptides:

Although the N-terminal 5 amino acids of β-endorphin are identical to the sequence of [Met]enkephalin, it is not generally thought that β-endorphin is converted into [Met]enkephalin.[citation needed] Instead, [Met]enkephalin is produced from its own precursor, proenkephalin A.

The production of β-MSH occurs in humans but not in mice or rats due to the absence of the enzymatic processing site in the rodent POMC.

Clinical significance[edit]
Mutations in this gene have been associated with early onset obesity,[9] adrenal insufficiency, and red hair pigmentation.[10]

A study concluded that a polymorphism was associated with higher fasting insulin levels in the obese patients only. These findings support the hypothesis that the melanocortin pathway may modulate glucose metabolism in obese subjects indicating a possible gene-environment interaction. POMC variant may be involved in the natural history of polygenic obesity, contributing to the link between type 2 diabetes and obesity.[11]

Dogs[edit]
A deletion mutation common in Labrador Retriever and Flat-Coated Retriever dogs is associated with increased interest in food and subsequent obesity.[12]

Drug target[edit]
POMC is used as a target for a medication used to treat obesity in humans. The combination of bupropion and naltrexone acts via hypothalamic POMC neurons to decrease appetite.[13]

Two humans with POMC deficiency have been treated with setmelanotide, a melanocortin-4 receptor agonist.[14]

Interactions[edit]
Proopiomelanocortin has been shown to interact with melanocortin 4 receptor.[15][16] The endogenous agonists of melanocortin 4 receptor include α-MSH, β-MSH, γ-MSH, and ACTH. The fact that these are all cleavage products of POMC should suggest likely mechanisms of this interaction.

Melanins and heavy metals, fertility

Why Dark Pigeons Rule the Streets

cedric

There are many sources of dietary melanins, but they are difficult to carry to cells.
For example we have
What Is Squid Ink, and Should You Eat It?
Squid Ink Pasta
Alcohols
Black Out With Trendy Squid Ink Cocktails
Black cumin
Melanoidins in black rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar
Perhaps black sesame, wild rice, black beans, black soya, black lentils,many mushrooms, black olives(?)

DOPA is made from
Vicia faba - Wikipedia
Broad bean (Vicia faba) consumption and Parkinson's disease: a natural source of L-dopa to consider | Neurología (English Edition)

Black Iberian pig - Wikipedia instead of albino one
Ayam Cemani - Wikipedia
Silkie - Wikipedia
Kadaknath - Wikipedia

Black cumin treats all but death.( melanins?)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals