Beware The False Gurus We All Desire And Wish For

People always want someone with all the answers. They never want to think for themselves. They don't want freedom. They don't want to be in charge of their own intellect. They want to give up their autonomy to someone else that they can just trust.

I don't think that's the case with Dr. Peat. Dr. Peat uses studies and logic both. And I am here because I want to follow Dr. Peats model and Dr. Peats wisdom.

Dr. Peat is more theoretical the practical. He’s not telling you exactly what to do. There’s no such thing as a Peat diet. Peat doesn’t even recommend supplements except for potentially vitamin E or alt. But more than anything else, he encourages you to think for yourself.

This is precisely why he is not popular. This is a very niche forum. He is not popular and doesn’t make much money because he doesn’t tell people what to do.

Other people who've been on this forum have gravitated to Gbold because he does their thinking for him. He's cryptic and seems to have the answers. People love a man who is cryptic and seems to have all the answers.

In reality, Gbold doesn't have studies. He doesn't believe in them. It all comes from textbooks. Somehow these textbooks don't rely on studies. I suppose. It's quite illogical.

The point is this. You have to guard against your desire to find and latch on to some guru who has all the answers. health boards are susceptible to these cultish gurus because we all want to give up our autonomy and just believe in someone else.

Dhair

People always want someone with all the answers. They never want to think for themselves. They don't want freedom. They don't want to be in charge of their own intellect. They want to give up their autonomy to someone else that they can just trust.

I don't think that's the case with Dr. Peat. Dr. Peat uses studies and logic both. And I am here because I want to follow Dr. Peats model and Dr. Peats wisdom.

Dr. Peat is more theoretical the practical. He’s not telling you exactly what to do. There’s no such thing as a Peat diet. Peat doesn’t even recommend supplements except for potentially vitamin E or alt. But more than anything else, he encourages you to think for yourself.

This is precisely why he is not popular. This is a very niche forum. He is not popular and doesn’t make much money because he doesn’t tell people what to do.

Other people who've been on this forum have gravitated to Gbold because he does their thinking for him. He's cryptic and seems to have the answers. People love a man who is cryptic and seems to have all the answers.

In reality, Gbold doesn't have studies. He doesn't believe in them. It all comes from textbooks. Somehow these textbooks don't rely on studies. I suppose. It's quite illogical.

The point is this. You have to guard against your desire to find and latch on to some guru who has all the answers. health boards are susceptible to these cultish gurus because we all want to give up our autonomy and just believe in someone else.
Excellent post.

Dhair

I'm sure some of his claims can't even found in text books.
I politely and specifically asked him to name some useful textbooks. He ignored me. I'm sure his response would have been some variation of, "It's common knowledge and it's in all of them!"

milk_lover

Who the hell is Gbold?! I am not keeping up with the forum these past weeks.

AretnaP

Who the hell is Gbold?! I am not keeping up with the forum these past weeks.
gbolduev
guy that follows paul eck and lawrence wilson
thinks that low vitamin D is caused by alkaline blood and can't be fixed with sunlight or D3 supplements
thinks that estrogen, not testosterone, builds muscle

Xisca

Half good post. Good for what some people want, but not good if it implies GB is like a guru or wants it! Only some of the people here made him look like a guru. And this is the case for many people Who speak of RP as if he were a guru and looking for his take including for sex life.

Xisca

Imagine people some centuries ago, asking Semmelweis why wash Hands before microbes were known. ..

milk_lover

Gbold. Since he's come around people have taken to 40 day water fasts, eating bugs, and drinking their own pee-pee.
AHAHA glad I was not up to date with his news then.
gbolduev
guy that follows paul eck and lawrence wilson
thinks that low vitamin D is caused by alkaline blood and can't be fixed with sunlight or D3 supplements
thinks that estrogen, not testosterone, builds muscle
So if we make our blood acidic, our vitamin D will increase to normal level? Estrogen can still be useful for us men, especially to our libido.

Xisca

When Galileo presented his theory, he was still missing one proof!

nasibi

AHAHA glad I was not up to date with his news then.

So if we make our blood acidic, our vitamin D will increase to normal level? Estrogen can still be useful for us men, especially to our libido.

He thinks that actually it is Prolactin that causes gyno, not Estradiol. Go figure.

Kartoffel

When Galileo presented his theory, he was still missing one proof!

Yes we get it, Gbol is a revolutionary like Semmelweis, Galileo and Einstein. Take comfort in the thought that all brilliant ideas are sooner or later acknowledged by at least some part of society, if they are true. In this case though you might have too wait for a very long time...

namaste

Was it difficult to write a post dripping so heavily in irony?

Tens of thousands and perhaps more suffer from afflictions like PFS and PSSD. Ray Peat was never able to help with that, nor did the advice of Peaters on this forum. In fact, some of the stuff I've seen outside of the gbold threads here was laughably bad to the point where cures that had been ruled out 5+ years ago on other forums were being dished out. So forgive us for following the advice of a guru. Perhaps if RP's methodology had worked, we wouldn't need an alternative.

OP
ecstatichamster
Was it difficult to write a post dripping so heavily in irony?

Tens of thousands and perhaps more suffer from afflictions like PFS and PSSD. Ray Peat was never able to help with that, nor did the advice of Peaters on this forum. In fact, some of the stuff I've seen outside of the gbold threads here was laughably bad to the point where cures that had been ruled out 5+ years ago on other forums were being dished out. So forgive us for following the advice of a guru. Perhaps if RP's methodology had worked, we wouldn't need an alternative.

what exactly is Peat's methodology?

This isn't it here. Peat doesn't advocate loads of supplements.

But most people here do.

My problem with Gbold is his lack of evidence and proof and his certitude. I hate certitude. Nobody knows anything so if someone is so certain of their views, that automatically certifies them as in-credible.

One thing I have taken from Gbold is his theory on CO2 retention. Makes a lot of sense to me. I learn from many people, including those that I don't totally agree with. The battle between objective and subjective knowledge is as stake here: what you can directly experience vs what you have to trust from another person. Attacking someone serves no purpose. It's wasting your positive energy on a negative energy. It's like Donald Trump. People say, "Can you believe what DT said?" I retort, "Yeah, I can. And I don't care. Honestly, I never think about him...ever. Why waste my energy on a douchebag?" Works in all aspects of my life.

Maxout777

Although I wasn't a fan of a lot of his methods myself, you have to allow both sides to each present themselves. If you banish one in favor of the other, you're doing exactly what you're warning about doing in your original post.

While I somewhat agree with you, just some food for thought.