Betty White's secrets to a Long Life: Avoid anything green

Regina

It's my Mom's clone. My sister-in-laws can't get over that our Mom never ate vegetables.
Did the NY Times crossword puzzle everyday for probably 60 years. With Jeopardy playing in the back ground, she would rattle off instant answers in all categories. Drank vodka and liked hotdogs.

She's in a ALF now. 96.

Regina

Probably had nothing to do with greens, but mostly due to genes
Possibly.
She also always liked milkshakes, oysters, and black coffee all day and before bed.

I found out though (after stupidly doing a 23nMe test) that her mom's mom was pure ashkenazi jewish.
?

Rafe

I saw an old southern genteel woman, the wife of an episcopal priest who went to college in the old days, knit, drink a martini (it was Texas, not the Deep South) & talk upstart politics all at the same time deep into the night.

The next door lady to the house where that happened had her own business in Texas, refused to air condition it, dropped by her daughter’s house everyday for a beer, didn’t bathe much. Lived to be 99.

I don’t recall green vegetables or running marathons being involved.

InChristAlone

There's barely a rhyme or reason why people live to be 100 and others die at 50 of a heart attack. Maybe it comes down to mental stress. The people who have a lot of mental stress could be the ones to die young.

Rafe

Maybe it comes down to mental stress. The people who have a lot of mental stress could be the ones to die young.
The supercentenarians look like they have absolutely no concern for age. Or even (gulp) health.

They’re just living & having a good time doing it.

Perry Staltic

My dad lived to 95 and ate whatever was put in front of him plus lots of what we would consider junk. I guess if he had stayed away from greens he'd have lived to be 100

InChristAlone

What @sugarbabe said.

“But they had better mental well-being, and scored higher on measures of self-confidence and decision-making skills.”
Yeah it makes a lot of sense to me. The ones who live long usually have a stubbornness to them. A strong will to make it. At least all the ones I've known. The ones who seem to succumb are the ones who are up in their mind constantly worrying and holding on to things, poisoning every cell in their body by their own thoughts.

seely

You always hear “I had a feeling/I knew something was up/I told them not to go” when people talk about life or death situations.

Sounds like having a sound mental state means better ability to embrace the intuition designed to keep you alive.

If your mind is always cluttered, you won’t be able to listen.

——
As an aside, the “ate everything” put in front of them crowd. Our food has DRASTICALLY changed in 50 years. My MIL/FIL died in their 50s. My dad at 64 and my mom is barely hanging on at 66. Only one of my immediate family members made it past 80. So I’m investing in food insurance and not health insurance.

One thing I notice with long lived people is they do NOT eat variety. They eat very much habitually. Whatever it is, it’s always the same, or at least the same on Thursday and every Thursday the same. They do not go for variety.

InChristAlone

One thing I notice with long lived people is they do NOT eat variety. They eat very much habitually. Whatever it is, it’s always the same, or at least the same on Thursday and every Thursday the same. They do not go for variety.
Absolutely notice this as well. Very routine eating and habits. Makes the mental stress of diets very much a non issue.

Green things are for the animals, then the cow/goat/camel/yak filters out all of the bad stuff, then we drink the milk and eat the cheese and butter. I admit I do like like a good salad, but that is probably because of the salad dressing and cheese.

angelina

My great grandfather lived to 108. He loved American Chinese food and he ate Puerto Rican rice and beans daily. He had a lot of stress in his younger years. His wife left him as a single dad with 12 kids ( yes, you read that right.) He walked EVERYWHERE and there was no stopping him. He'd leave and someone would call my grandmother saying they saw pop walking miles away. He moved to Florida after his 102 birthday, so I never saw him after that but he was in his right mind then.

My great grandfather lived to 108. He loved American Chinese food and he ate Puerto Rican rice and beans daily. He had a lot of stress in his younger years. His wife left him as a single dad with 12 kids ( yes, you read that right.) He walked EVERYWHERE and there was no stopping him. He'd leave and someone would call my grandmother saying they saw pop walking miles away. He moved to Florida after his 102 birthday, so I never saw him after that but he was in his right mind then.

that's a great story.

K

Kayaker

I found out though (after stupidly doing a 23nMe test) that her mom's mom was pure ashkenazi jewish.
?
Relative of yours?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals