Better To Avoid Starch In Potato?

Discussion in 'Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein ' started by Bluebell, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Mittir

Mittir Member

He definitely knows that we need insulin to process protein. He mentioned in interview
    that one of the benefit of diabetic taking insulin is that it keeps developing muscle
    from ingested protein. All proteins increase insulin secretion and that is why he
    recommends carbohydrate with protein so that blood glucose do not get too low to
    cause high cortisol secretion. These are known in mainstream science, nothing
    new or peaty. We need protein and we have to eat certain amount of protein,
    his main concern is to prevent hypoglycemia. If you look at glycemic and insulin
    index of food you will clearly see which foods causes temporary hypoglycemia,
    and then cortsol raise blood sugar but lowers the metabolism of sugar.
    There is a nice graph on the web that shows blood glucose response to high
    glycemic foods. Milk has a low glycemic index.

2. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

Theoretically I think you could stir amylase enzyme into a pot of mashed potatoes and this would essentially pre-digest the potato starch by breaking it down into glucose... It would taste much sweeter than normal mashed potatoes and would probaly nullify the starch issue. This would make a cool experiment. Add some fructose powder and you have a great "replacement" for fruit- also lower water content/higher caloric density, higher protein, and economical.

I will also add that I don't think starch is fattening in the absence of fat... fatty acids in the blood compete with glucose in the randle cycle and essentially cause insulin resistance. High starch with high fat is a great recipe for insulin resistance and fat gain in my opinion. I don't really understand why Ray recommends eating coconut oil/butter with starch... I would rather consume starch with aspirin and keep fat completely out of the equation.

“The competition between fatty acids and glucose, which has been called the “Randle cycle” for about 50 years, can be applied to the treatment of diabetes and other degenerative/stress problems by adjusting the diet, or by using supplements such as niacinamide and aspirin, which improve glucose oxidation by lowering the free fatty acids in the serum.”

3. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Because fat slows the digestion of the starch and mitigates presorption: the movement of starch particles through the intestine to the other organs, which triggers an immune response.

4. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

5. Prota

Prota Member

I am very interested to raise my calories with more cooked starch (white potato, white rice)!
    Did you ever checked your HbA1c?
    What is your average daily fructose intake?

6. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

No point in checking my a1c because I lost body fat and blood glucose goes where it's supposed to. I don't measure anything in grams or calories but I do have some fructose daily, usually non-concentrate orange and grape juice and canned pineapple.

7. Prota

Prota Member

Thanks!

8. Dobbler

Dobbler Member

Yesterday i was craving for potatoes after going 2 weeks without them so after my lifting session i ate 1,2 kg of potatoes at one sitting. Ive been feeling so shitty today. My anxiety is off the roofs, ive been feeling like death the whole day... idk if it was the potatoes or lifting session or sleeping too late but no potatoes for a while now..

9. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

Potatoes are good at causing a huge drop of blood sugar. That is what causes the anxiety, the brain needs a steady supple of sugar. Guess it could also be the starches causing endotoxin.

10. Dobbler

Dobbler Member

Must be endotoxin ive been eating 400g of sugar today and still feeling like crap more than usual

11. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Did you eat anything else alongside them?

12. Dobbler

Dobbler Member

So i had a big chunk of starch yday again (white rice, idk why i didnt have anything else). My first thought this morning was like "why the f*ck am i even waking up". That has been really the theme for today anyway. Im sure that starch skyrocketed my already high serotonin. I mean this is really the definition of learned helplessness. U feel like ***t, giving up, no reason to do anything. This stuff is pure evil im telling you... worst feeling ever. Gotta be skyhigh serotonin right?

13. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Did you re-run this experiment again?

I literally have killed my libido through a big potato session. This is ****88.

14. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Hash (as in beef and potatoes) with gelatin and liberal amounts of coconut oil (as in a few tablespoons for a large saucepan) sauteed until the coconut oil disperses throughout the dish digests much better than potatoes with butter or coconut oil added.

Similarly, maybe starch deep fried in coconut oil would be superior to fried potatoes, as the oil surrounds the starch particles more completely.

15. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

Yeah mashed potatoes are significantly worse for me than even restaurant fries. Good explanation about the starch particles being surrounded by oil.