Better Reaction To A2 Milk?

Logan-

Has anyone with casein intolerance had a better reaction to A2 milk? Is A2 milk worth a try for someone with severe casein intolerance?

Cirion

It can be. It can also be worth trying out raw milk, which is even better (IMO) than A2 milk that is homogenized and pasteurized. I plan to try out raw milk when my local farmer delivers near me again next week. I know I don't react too well to most commercial milks. My understanding is that most commercial milks have destroyed the lactase enzymes during the homogenization & pasteurization process, which is why so many people have "lactose intolerance". The lactase enzymes are there to help you digest the milk, so without it, many people have bad reactions to the lactose. So it's more accurate to say, it's not a lactose intolerance, but an insufficiency of lactase. In addition, the homogenization process creates a lot of "oxygen bubbles" in the liquid which can be the culprit behind the infamous dairy bloating problems. One of the scary things about pasteurization is that you nuke the liquid, killing all bacteria, and from what I've read, all the dead bacteria remain in there, and are not removed, and thus, while you've killed any potential bacteria, you're still ingesting what's left and now that I know that, I think that's rather disgusting that you're basically eating "corpses" lol. They may be dead, but eating something dead/spoiled could still easily trigger inflammation responses from the body. Finally, I'm a huge believer in drinking the milk whole, because a lot of the vitamins are contained in the cream, so by skimming the fat off, about all you're getting is sugar, some protein, and some calcium at that point.

Last edited:

Arrade

It can be. It can also be worth trying out raw milk, which is even better (IMO) than A2 milk that is homogenized and pasteurized. I plan to try out raw milk when my local farmer delivers near me again next week. I know I don't react too well to most commercial milks. My understanding is that most commercial milks have destroyed the lactase enzymes during the homogenization & pasteurization process, which is why so many people have "lactose intolerance". The lactase enzymes are there to help you digest the milk, so without it, many people have bad reactions to the lactose. So it's more accurate to say, it's not a lactose intolerance, but an insufficiency of lactase. In addition, the homogenization process creates a lot of "oxygen bubbles" in the liquid which can be the culprit behind the infamous dairy bloating problems. One of the scary things about pasteurization is that you nuke the liquid, killing all bacteria, and from what I've read, all the dead bacteria remain in there, and are not removed, and thus, while you've killed any potential bacteria, you're still ingesting what's left and now that I know that, I think that's rather disgusting that you're basically eating "corpses" lol. They may be dead, but eating something dead/spoiled could still easily trigger inflammation responses from the body.
Is there no A1, A2 difference in raw milk?

lvysaur

It can be. It can also be worth trying out raw milk, which is even better (IMO) than A2 milk that is homogenized and pasteurized.

UHT homogenized A2 milk feels better to me than unhomogenized pasteurized grassfed milk.

Cirion

@Arrade

Good question. Don't know. From what I do know, as long as it is both unhomogenized and unpasteurized, I think there is no huge difference between A1 and A2 milk, but I could be wrong.

@lvysaur

I could see how that could be better than milk that is still pasteurized. I think to get the most out of raw milk it needs to be both unhomogenized AND unpasteurized. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but grass-fed milk can still be A1, right? In which case, could explain your experience further possibly. Also you didn't say it was raw necessarily. You can't buy raw unpasteurized milk in stores (at least not where I live) since the FDA effectively banned that.

With all that, possibly the most likely to be tolerated is grass-fed, A2 milk, that is unhomogenized and unpasteurized (Jersey cows if I recall?). That's really hard to find though lol

Arrade

@Arrade

Good question. Don't know. From what I do know, as long as it is both unhomogenized and unpasteurized, I think there is no huge difference between A1 and A2 milk, but I could be wrong.

@lvysaur

I could see how that could be better than milk that is still pasteurized. I think to get the most out of raw milk it needs to be both unhomogenized AND unpasteurized. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but grass-fed milk can still be A1, right? In which case, could explain your experience further possibly. Also you didn't say it was raw necessarily. You can't buy raw unpasteurized milk in stores (at least not where I live) since the FDA effectively banned that.

With all that, possibly the most likely to be tolerated is grass-fed, A2 milk, that is unhomogenized and unpasteurized (Jersey cows if I recall?). That's really hard to find though lol
I thought you could buy raw milk. Then again I guess I didn't look into it. I want it straight from the cows teat

Cirion

I thought you could buy raw milk. Then again I guess I didn't look into it. I want it straight from the cows teat

In the states at least, you can, but only direct from the farmer. The FDA has started to relax its laws so that you can buy direct from them (in 43/50 states, so most of them), but as far as I know, farmers are still banned from selling their raw milk directly in stores like wal-mart.

Arrade

@Blossom I'm too tired to read that atm, but I will later. If it's just Burtlancast talking about A1 milk I may not pay attention, I believe he was wrong about high dose iodine so I'm less confident in his theories

Arrade

In the states at least, you can, but only direct from the farmer. The FDA has started to relax its laws so that you can buy direct from them (in 43/50 states, so most of them), but as far as I know, farmers are still banned from selling their raw milk directly in stores like wal-mart.
Right oh ok, I never connected the dots about not being at walmart but makes sense.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom I'm too tired to read that atm, but I will later. If it's just Burtlancast talking about A1 milk I may not pay attention, I believe he was wrong about high dose iodine so I'm less confident in his theories
I’m not sure if he posted in the thread but it was originally started by member ARK.

Arrade

I’m not sure if he posted in the thread but it was originally started by member ARK.
oh ok, the page you linked he seemed to be the one hammering A2 milk as the devil. I'll have to look more into myself

Cirion

The other benefit of buying straight from the farmer is you support small business farmers :)

The other issue I didn't even touch on is CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation) which has ethical and health issues by itself due to unsanitary condition (hence why a lot of milks have antibiotics in them, (some also put growth hormones in the mix, to get more milk out of them probably) they had to pump cows full of antiobiotics to avoid the rampant infections inherent in CAFO) plus, the jury's probably out on whether or not you could even be ingesting lots of stress hormones due to the bad living conditions of CAFO cows, not to mention the final issue that CAFO cows are usually grain fed.

Last edited:

Elephanto

Is there no A1, A2 difference in raw milk?
Yeah. The potency of the opioid peptides in A1 milk is greater and causes significant effects while those in A2 milk are considered rather weak. (I think mentally it still can have subtle negative effects if one aims for better mental clarity; of note whey also contains opioid peptides in both types that do not differ, and casein in general acts as an adhesive agent so I hypothesize that it may cause digestive and gut health issues when regularly taken in large quantities especially when gastric acid output isn't optimal and undigested fractions lay and stick to the gut layers)

A1 beta-casein significantly increases gastrointestinal transit time[known effect of opioids], production of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 and the inflammatory marker myeloperoxidase compared with milk containing A2 beta-casein. Co-administration of the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone blocks the myeloperoxidase and gastrointestinal motility effects, indicating opioid signaling pathway involvement. In humans, a double-blind, randomized cross-over study showed that participants consuming A1 beta-casein type cows’ milk experienced statistically significantly higher Bristol stool values compared with those receiving A2 beta-casein milk. Additionally, a statistically significant positive association between abdominal pain and stool consistency was observed when participants consumed the A1 but not the A2 diet.
Milk Intolerance, Beta-Casein and Lactose
Consumption of milk containing A1 β-casein was associated with increased gastrointestinal inflammation, worsening of PD3 symptoms, delayed transit, and decreased cognitive processing speed and accuracy. Because elimination of A1 β-casein attenuated these effects, some symptoms of lactose intolerance may stem from inflammation it triggers, and can be avoided by consuming milk containing only the A2 type of beta casein.
Effects of milk containing only A2 beta casein versus milk containing both A1 and A2 beta casein proteins on gastrointestinal physiology, symptoms ... - PubMed - NCBI
(note that these studies didn't experiment with Peat-sized portions of milk so some negative effects of A2 milk could appear at greater intake)

Opioid receptor ligands derived from food proteins. - PubMed - NCBI

Blossom

Forum Supporter
oh ok, the page you linked he seemed to be the one hammering A2 milk as the devil. I'll have to look more into myself
You’re right! Sorry I didn’t know you were ignoring those posts and there were so many in that thread. It might be interesting for others.

Arrade

You’re right! Sorry I didn’t know you were ignoring those posts and there were so many in that thread. It might be interesting for others.
I wasn't ignoring anything, I'm just tired and he was the one posting on the page you linked. I hope there isn't a personal problem because I've been banned like 3 times recently, even though I haven't had any issues with members here

@Elephanto thanks man :thumbup:. @Cameron I don't know about the amish but gotta get me some A2 raw milk

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wasn't ignoring anything, I'm just tired and he was the one posting on the page you linked. I hope there isn't a personal problem because I've been banned like 3 times recently, even though I haven't had any issues with members here
No sir! I innocently thought of that original thread as posted by ARK but it has since been merged with other posts on the A2 milk debate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals