Better Metabolism- Higher Heart Rate And. Lower Oxygen Saturation (spO2)?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

nwo2012

Thanks. I thought all the while the oral reading is 0.5C higher than the armpit reading. Interesting about stearyl alcohol. I should look into that when I'm ready for it.

Thanks!

So far, we have these values upon waking up-

nwo2012: 97% sat, 78 bpm, 36.9C (oral
Aspekt: 98%, 87, 36.1C (oral)
yerrag: 99%, 56, 36.5C (ear)
blossom: 99%, 79, 36.5C (oral)

Yes oral should be higher but I don't think these digital devices are as accurate as old style (mercury or substitute) thermometers.
Interesting that I have the highest temp of these but also the lowest saturation.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes oral should be higher but I don't think these digital devices are as accurate as old style (mercury or substitute) thermometers.
Interesting that I have the highest temp of these but also the lowest saturation.
You're probably using more oxygen with that high temp and metabolism!

nwo2012

You're probably using more oxygen with that high temp and metabolism!

Hopefully!
Ive also found whilst doing buteyko your temp and pulse rise and sats drop.
I must recommend taping the mouth at night. My waking temp and pulse were never as high before I started that. We all do it as a family.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hopefully!
Ive also found whilst doing buteyko your temp and pulse rise and sats drop.
I must recommend taping the mouth at night. My waking temp and pulse were never as high before I started that. We all do it as a family.
Thanks! @tara has always spoken highly of mouth taping.
My bedroom is becoming quite interesting with my use of an eye mask, ear plugs, inclined bed and a gravity blanket as recommended by @lisaferraro ordered and on the way! I might as well tape my mouth too.

L

lollipop

My bedroom is becoming quite interesting with my use of an eye mask, ear plugs, inclined bed and a gravity blanket as recommended by @lisaferraro ordered and on the way! I might as well tape my mouth too.
:): If you want one more thought? I have an interesting alternative to ear plugs...

(I read that the Apple Watch has a pulse ox but it is turned off, probably for legal and regulatory reasons.)

tara

Got bedside snack and/or drink and strategically placed pillows or rolled towels to support joints etc too? :)

OP
yerrag

yerrag

It's a good thing I still have some old-style mercury thermometers. It's just difficult to find the mercury line though.

I've asked 3 friends with Samsung Galaxy S6-up phones to provide me data. I hope to have them tomorrow or Monday. This would increase our data as we wait for ecstatichamster and joeyd to provide values.

In the meantime, @Blossom @Aspekt @nwo2012 do you think it would be a good idea if we can start discussing our readings relative to each other? For example, relative to you all, my waking heart rate is low at 56. I could explain my context, and tell you what I think it is that's causing my heart rate to be that low. Yet, I'm not too worried because my waking temperature isn't low. And I would also talk about how maybe as I improve my condition, I would expect these values to change in one way or another, commensurate to my progress.

I'm not expecting enough data to come in to work with and I don't even think we can see, much less establish, so far any relationship between heart rate and oxygen saturation. It would be nice if we can get data from an elderly person, a boy and girl less than 10 yers old, someone with a condition (e.g. diabetes). Also nice if we can really good numbers such as an 89% oxygen saturation with a high heart rate and a normal temperature. Maybe we'll get there when we move the time to something other than the waking time. Whatever the case, we'll just work with what we've got.

L

lollipop

Im all ears too.....:p:
@Blossom snd @nwo2012

This white noise maker - it is not the cheap versions on a loop that have a gap the brain picks up - thus wakes up. My husband and I sleep on the floor on a thin cotton stuffed shiatsu mat (very comfy actually) BUT we live in an condo with people on all sides of us up, down, etc. We could hear the downstairs person’s base from speakers and was vibrating the floor grrrgh....

After a lot of research to find out what could block it - this white noise maker came up. We got one and it really helped. Thankfully they moved - AND we were hooked on how well we sleep with it. In fact we bought a second one and a travel case to take with us - works excellent in hotel rooms. We never hear anything or anyone anymore.

LectroFan High Fidelity White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MY8V86Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Got bedside snack and/or drink and strategically placed pillows or rolled towels to support joints etc too? :)
Thanks @tara! I knew you'd have some helpful suggestions to improve my sleeping situation. :lol:
BTW, What type of tape do you recommend?
@nwo2012, which tape do you and your family use?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
do you think it would be a good idea if we can start discussing our readings relative to each other?
Certainly, I know for myself my sats are usually 2-3 points higher when I'm not regularly smoking. I'm not smoking right now and haven't for several months. My spo2 was typically 96% when I was smoking 1/2 pack of cigarettes per day. I think there can be lowered sats for good and not so good reasons. So it seems a little more complex than lower sats are always better. If I went and lived at high elevation I'm sure I'd have lowered sats too at least at first but most likely even after acclimating they would be lower as compared to being close to sea level where the air pressure is higher. From a Peat perspective that would be good lowered sat situation.

When Peat mentions sats of 89% my interpretation is that he is trying to illustrate to us that higher isn't always better- not that 89% should be a goal or taken as an ideal to aim to achieve. IIRC he was at high altitude when he had sats of 89%. One of his ways of teaching seems to be by getting us to break out of previous held assumptions in health, science, medicine and life and think of things in a new way. People do sometimes get fixated on having the highest sats possible which is flawed but I think it's important that we don't fixate on the opposite either. It's probably good not to worry if they are trending down some as long as we feel well because that could just mean we are utilizing more oxygen. I do think people have their own slightly unique optimal range within a couple points.
Another thing that might be of interest is that when I took Diamox my sats were higher and I think that was due to CO2 assisting my body to carry more oxygen. Diamox is sometimes prescribed for people who tend to cycle into hypoxic respiratory failure.

@yerrag, do you think your body is purposely keeping your heart rate low and metabolism slightly suppressed because of the heavy metal toxicity in your kidneys? I'm just curious!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom snd @nwo2012

This white noise maker - it is not the cheap versions on a loop that have a gap the brain picks up - thus wakes up. My husband and I sleep on the floor on a thin cotton stuffed shiatsu mat (very comfy actually) BUT we live in an condo with people on all sides of us up, down, etc. We could hear the downstairs person’s base from speakers and was vibrating the floor grrrgh....

After a lot of research to find out what could block it - this white noise maker came up. We got one and it really helped. Thankfully they moved - AND we were hooked on how well we sleep with it. In fact we bought a second one and a travel case to take with us - works excellent in hotel rooms. We never hear anything or anyone anymore.

LectroFan High Fidelity White... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MY8V86Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Thanks @lisaferraro, sometimes I take the ear plugs out in the middle of the night because they start irritating me. The noise maker would definitely solve that issue!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

nwo2012: 97% sat, 78 bpm, 36.9C (oral)
Aspekt: 98%, 87, 36.1C
yerrag: 99%, 56, 36.5C (ear)
blossom: 99%, 79, 36.5C (oral)

Certainly, I know for myself my sats are usually 2-3 points higher when I'm not regularly smoking. I'm not smoking right now and haven't for several months. My spo2 was typically 96% when I was smoking 1/2 pack of cigarettes per day. I think there can be lowered sats for good and not so good reasons. So it seems a little more complex than lower sats are always better. If I went and lived at high elevation I'm sure I'd have lowered sats too at least at first but most likely even after acclimating they would be lower as compared to being close to sea level where the air pressure is higher. From a Peat perspective that would be good lowered sat situation.
This makes me think about the time before I removed mercury from my system, going to the dentist having all my 11 mercury fillings removed (not at one time, too stressful) and underwent chelation therapy. I wished I had taken my spO2 readings then and compared before and after. I would likely have seen lower spO2 readings before the therapy, and that would be another example that lower spO2 readings don't necessarily mean I'm more healthy. For those not familiar with the effect of mercury, one effect is that mercury displaces the oxygen attached to the hemoglobin in the RBC. This means the blood would carry less oxygen, and the less oxygen carried, the lower the spO2 reading. To date, the mercury detox has been the most impressive in my health. I wondered for a long time, since high shcool, how I could be the best sprinter in high school (100 meter dash) to be the worst long distance runner. No matter how well I trained, I was exhausted at the 1 km. mark, severely panting and telling myself I wasn't training well enough. Now, with no training, I could easily run in hilly terrain for 5 kilometers without breaking a sweat.

Still, looking at my numbers, I know I have ways to go in improving my health. Temperature-wise, I look good. I get to 37C during the day. I'm not hypothyroid, though I think my ECG QTc value is just barely passing the 440msec cutoff. Having the right temperature is already something to be thankful for, as (except for the very high blood pressure), I feel in good shape. I don't have any allergies anymore (although I can easily get it back when I don't get enough sleep - that just means how precarious my health is, no buffers so to speak) where I would often have allergic rhinitis and be super-sensitive to MSG when eating out. My last fever/flu incident was 18 years ago (around the time I had mercury detox), and before then I could never escape the flu come February, at the height of winter season.

While the heart rate at 56 looks really low, it gets to 73 during the day, especially after a meal. I think it's the blood sugar helping boost my heart rate after a meal, but the farther away I'm from a meal though, the heart rate goes further down and hits 62. I don't feel sleepy or hungry or stressed or in road rage mode though, so it's not a bad case of low blood sugar, although I probably could be helped drinking coconut water or orange juice, or anything with sugar in it.

Still, my heart rate is low. My wake up heart rate at 56 pales in comparison from all yours. And I've been on inclined bed therapy at max height for more than a week already.
When Peat mentions sats of 89% my interpretation is that he is trying to illustrate to us that higher isn't always better- not that 89% should be a goal or taken as an ideal to aim to achieve. IIRC he was at high altitude when he had sats of 89%. One of his ways of teaching seems to be by getting us to break out of previous held assumptions in health, science, medicine and life and think of things in a new way. People do sometimes get fixated on having the highest sats possible which is flawed but I think it's important that we don't fixate on the opposite either. It's probably good not to worry if they are trending down some as long as we feel well because that could just mean we are utilizing more oxygen. I do think people have their own slightly unique optimal range within a couple points.
Another thing that might be of interest is that when I took Diamox my sats were higher and I think that was due to CO2 assisting my body to carry more oxygen. Diamox is sometimes prescribed for people who tend to cycle into hypoxic respiratory failure.
I agree that the 89% shouldn't be taken as a goal but to make us aware of our context and see how the sats fit in under that context. We get a better picture of the state of our health, and not be misled into something that doesn't represent our state. It's good you were able to see the effect of Diamox on your sats. I'm reminded once again of how hospital I've been to see CO2 as bad, and their method is so wrongheaded with respect to oxygen ventilation and sat readings. But I can understand the way these places and much of society works. These rules they work by don't permit thinking and deciding what's best, as that (thinking and deciding, having the power of discretion) would fail to take into account people making mistakes, and mistakes do happen fairly often enough. So we are stuck with oxygen ventilation (with air intake as well) with no CO2 supplementation.

It's interesting Diamox worked the way it did, showing up as higher stats. I'm not sure if it would have assisted the body carry more oxygen, but then again I really am no expert on this. It's certainly interesting. Does Diamox just work one way, only converting bicarbonate to carbon dioxide, and not the other way around?

@yerrag, do you think your body is purposely keeping your heart rate low and metabolism slightly suppressed because of the heavy metal toxicity in your kidneys? I'm just curious!
I really think so. When I take something to boost my metabolism, such as coffee or niacinamide, my heart rate would increase, but so would my blood pressure. I think that the blood pressure increase meant my arterioles in the kidneys are being constricted in an attempt to lower the oxygenation rate of kidneys, as more oxygenation feeds ROS production from the lead toxicity in my kidneys, as well as helps induce the continual production of uric acid, which requires hypoxic conditions to produce what the body needs to counter the ROS.

It would also be the same effect when I practice Buteyko. It would increase tissue oxygenation and it would trigger the same increase in blood pressure.

So, yes, I believe my low heart rate is the result of the body throttling down my energy production to levels where less risk is put on my kidneys, in its current state of lead toxicity.

p.s. I don't know why I'm reading our conversation in centered alignment mode. Are you all seeing the same thing?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't know why I'm reading our conversation in centered alignment mode. Are you all seeing the same thing?
Just your last post! I'm on my phone though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Does Diamox just work one way, only converting bicarbonate to carbon dioxide, and not the other way around?
From drugs dot com just because the explanation is more eloquent than my own!
"Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors reduce the activity of carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme responsible for catalyzing the reaction between carbon dioxide and water into carbonic acid and then bicarbonate. This reduces the resorption of bicarbonate from the proximal tubule in the kidneys, which causes a direct increase in bicarbonate excretion and mild increases in sodium, and potassium excretion. Generally, the electrolyte effects of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors are mild and they are typically not used for their diuretic capacity. Acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide, and methazolamide are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors."

Oddly in my first 3 years of a Peaty lifestyle I had tachycardia with my heart rate generally between 100-140.

I feel much better these days and my heart rate has basically been staying around 80-95 when I check it.

I think etco2 is good to know as well if your able to test it. Mine is usually 38-40 which seems to be mid to high normal. There's some confusion over what is the normal range but the most reputable source I've found suggests 30-43 mmHg.
According to the book by Hockenberry and Wilson (2015, p 1140) normal values of ETCO2 are 30-43 mmHg which is slightly lower than arterial PaCO2 (35-45mmHg).
I'm not necessarily trying to add another variable to the experiment though.

Danny Roddy commented once something to the effect of 'co2 spreads it's protective wings over o2'. My understanding is that if carbon dioxide levels are good it somewhat protects us from excessive oxygen.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Just your last post! I'm on my phone though.
That got fixed! Thank you.
From drugs dot com just because the explanation is more eloquent than my own!
"Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors reduce the activity of carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme responsible for catalyzing the reaction between carbon dioxide and water into carbonic acid and then bicarbonate. This reduces the resorption of bicarbonate from the proximal tubule in the kidneys, which causes a direct increase in bicarbonate excretion and mild increases in sodium, and potassium excretion. Generally, the electrolyte effects of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors are mild and they are typically not used for their diuretic capacity. Acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide, and methazolamide are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors."
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't get the role of acetazolamide right.
Oddly in my first 3 years of a Peaty lifestyle I had tachycardia with my heart rate generally between 100-140.

I feel much better these days and my heart rate has basically been staying around 80-95 when I check it.
I don't know if I should equate those 3 years of tachycardia to my long years of extreme hypertension (which hasn't really ended). What do you think got your heart rate to come down? I know that may be difficult to answer, as you may have made many changes to your lifestyle that it was hard to pinpoint which ones made a lasting impact.

I think etco2 is good to know as well if your able to test it. Mine is usually 38-40 which seems to be mid to high normal. There's some confusion over what is the normal range but the most reputable source I've found suggests 30-43 mmHg.
According to the book by Hockenberry and Wilson (2015, p 1140) normal values of ETCO2 are 30-43 mmHg which is slightly lower than arterial PaCO2 (35-45mmHg).
I'm not necessarily trying to add another variable to the experiment though.
It's nice to have a capnometer to get end tidal wave CO2 data. I think it's really useful. Was hoping that using sat, heart rate, and temperature data would somehow take its place, but that isn't a slam dunk. Your experience with using acetazolamide and seeing an increase in oxygen sat values confounds.

Danny Roddy commented once something to the effect of 'co2 spreads it's protective wings over o2'. My understanding is that if carbon dioxide levels are good it somewhat protects us from excessive oxygen.
Perhaps so. Does it make sense that CO2 somehow helps provide antioxidant protection to the generation of ROS due to the oxidative nature of oxygen? A yin to the yang?

Protective CO2 and aging :

Carbon dioxide has antioxidant effects, and many other stabilizing actions, including protection against hypoxia and the excitatory effects of intracellular calcium and inflammation.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Blossom I have used Scotch brand satin finish gift wrap tape between my eyebrows at night for years to keep the muscles relaxed. When I started reading about taping the mouth at night by @tara I started using it on my mouth. I use a small piece in the center of my mouth and it works. This tape may seem stiff but it leaves no red reaction and holds quite well. It is found in the gift wrap area of many stores. Many tapes and band aids cause skin reactions in my experience.