Better Metabolism- Higher Heart Rate And. Lower Oxygen Saturation (spO2)?

Aspekt

I've got an S6 and I've used this feature before but haven't thought too much about it, nice to have some extra context to explore.

Just did a little test of oxygen saturation, tested a few times at 99%, then I kept running the tests while slowing my breathing and activating parasympathetic (generating feelings of appreciation/gratitude while breathing with attention focused on the heart), oxygen saturation dropped to 98% then 97% over the next 2 minutes, associated with a feeling of calm and a very slight increase in warmth. I definitely felt better when it was lower, that was for sure.

Heart rate didn't vary too much, I feel like personally heart rate might not be that reliable of a marker for me without a great deal of context because I often have little adrenaline patterns that seem to elevate it even when i'm warm and fairly relaxed, and often get surges from what seems to be gut irritation, or even just responses to changes in the environment, something unexpected happening or a strong stimuli.

Naturally the app has a coloured grading system and with a saturation that high I'm well in the green zone. Gotta love being able to condition people to think low sat is bad by just making that zone red, without any need to justify why. Still I guess it's cool that the tool is that accessible at all.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

100% agree. I've had to use a forehead probe when all else fails.
@yerrag, I will get my oximeter back soon since the person I loaned it to no longer needs it. Thursday and Friday I would not be able to take my reading until I've been awake for a couple hours so if you'd prefer I will wait until I get my oximeter back.
Yes blossom, by all means.

@nwo2012 would you be able to provide a wakeup sat and heart rate reading?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Just did a little test of oxygen saturation, tested a few times at 99%, then I kept running the tests while slowing my breathing and activating parasympathetic (generating feelings of appreciation/gratitude while breathing with attention focused on the heart), C02 sat dropped to 98% then 97% over the next 2 minutes, associated with a feeling of calm and a very slight increase in warmth. I definitely felt better when it was lower, that was for sure.
Good idea. I should try getting readings after meditating as well.
Naturally the app has a coloured grading system and with a saturation that high I'm well in the green zone. Gotta love being able to condition people to think low sat is bad by just making that zone red, without any need to justify why. Still I guess it's cool that the tool is that accessible at all.
We just learn to tune out of such malarkey. I don't even touch the stress measurement of the Samsung Health app. It just tells you stress is low when heart rate is low. Hah!

Could you give your wakeup oxygen saturaton and heart rate reading? Thanks!

nwo2012

Thanks.

Is the ear probe used to get sat or temp readings?

Always good to have a visual check, as in the lip coloration, to verify instrument readings. A good extra step. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Ear probe is for saturations. Sure I will take readings 1st thing tomorrow.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag I will try and report back soon

Ear probe is for saturations. Sure I will take readings 1st thing tomorrow.

Thanks. It'd be nice to start with a few of us. Hope we can eventually get a good enough sampling from the forum. I'm searching for some studies about this, but I can't seem to find any, or maybe I'm not using the right keywords in my search. I'm also starting to log my heart rate and saturation data so that I can see how the saturation changes as my heart rate goes up as I continue to lower my blood pressure as I chelate the lead out of my kidneys.

tara

I like the idea measuring and recording these in principle, but haven't got the gear and can't see finding the time to do it ATM.

Makes sense to me that O2 in the blood is not the same as O2 delivered to tissues and cells that can use it, and that high blood O2 saturation may not always indicate a healthier state than a lower saturation.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I like the idea measuring and recording these in principle, but haven't got the gear and can't see finding the time to do it ATM.

Makes sense to me that O2 in the blood is not the same as O2 delivered to tissues and cells that can use it, and that high blood O2 saturation may not always indicate a healthier state than a lower saturation.
Thanks for the support with the idea Tara.

I apologize if I didn't make it clear the first time. I would just need one reading actually for each participant for the morning waking reading for oxygen saturation and heart rate.

Aspekt

Good idea. I should try getting readings after meditating as well.

We just learn to tune out of such malarkey. I don't even touch the stress measurement of the Samsung Health app. It just tells you stress is low when heart rate is low. Hah!

Could you give your wakeup oxygen saturaton and heart rate reading? Thanks!

98% saturation, 87 pulse @ 7.45am. I should mention I've started sleeping on an incline the last few weeks and I find myself waking just before my alarm (if I went to bed before midnight) so it's possible I'm using more glycogen during the night due to increased circulation. Morning pulse is usually high because of adrenaline. Usual waking oral temp is around 36.1-36.2.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

98% saturation, 87 pulse @ 7.45am. I should mention I've started sleeping on an incline the last few weeks and I find myself waking just before my alarm (if I went to bed before midnight) so it's possible I'm using more glycogen during the night due to increased circulation. Morning pulse is usually high because of adrenaline. Usual waking oral temp is around 36.1-36.2.
Thanks. I'm on inclined bed therapy as well.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
IMG_0920.JPG
This afternoon. I'll give you a reading upon awakening as soon as I get my own oximeter back!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

nwo2012

Its interesting what RP says about sats and thyroid function, 20 minutes after breakfast (and tsp steryl.alcohol) pulse went to 88, temp to 37.1 and sats to 96%.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Its interesting what RP says about sats and thyroid function, 20 minutes after breakfast (and tsp steryl.alcohol) pulse went to 88, temp to 37.1 and sats to 96%.
It's acting true to form, isn't it? What was the steryl alcohol for?

So far:

nwo2012: 97% sat, 78 bpm, 36.9C
Aspekt: 98%, 87, 36.1C
yerrag: 99%, 56, 36.5C (ear thermometer)

@nwo2012 @Aspekt how were the temps taken? regular thermometer on armpit or under tongue? or with ear thermometer?

We'll wait for the rest to report in before we comment together.

If you can get the readings of people who live under the same roof, that would increase our pool. It's harder if they don't stay with us, as the reading has to be taken as close to the moment you wake up, with the minimum of movement incurred after waking up.

Also, as far as temperature readings go, if you're using a regular digital thermometer, I learned from tara that you have to allow the thermometer to stay long enough in place until the temperature reading stabilizes (no longer increases say after one minute). The 1-minute beep sound, the cue to remove the thermometer, is a joke.

Last edited:

nwo2012

I took it orally and then axilla and got same reading. The steryl alcohol converts into strearic acid and noticeably increases BMR. Been sticking to a very low fat diet for past 3 weeks, so supplementing steryl alcohol for that reason.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Spo2 99%
Heart rate 79
Oral temp 97.7

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I took it orally and then axilla and got same reading. The steryl alcohol converts into strearic acid and noticeably increases BMR. Been sticking to a very low fat diet for past 3 weeks, so supplementing steryl alcohol for that reason.
Thanks. I thought all the while the oral reading is 0.5C higher than the armpit reading. Interesting about stearyl alcohol. I should look into that when I'm ready for it.

Spo2 99%
Heart rate 79
Oral temp 97.7
Thanks!

So far, we have these values upon waking up-

nwo2012: 97% sat, 78 bpm, 36.9C (oral)
Aspekt: 98%, 87, 36.1C
yerrag: 99%, 56, 36.5C (ear)
blossom: 99%, 79, 36.5C (oral)

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks. I thought all the while the oral reading is 0.5C higher than the armpit reading. Interesting about stearyl alcohol. I should look into that when I'm ready for it.

Thanks!

So far, we have these values upon waking up-

nwo2012: 97% sat, 78 bpm, 36.9C (oral
Aspekt: 98%, 87, 36.1C (oral)
yerrag: 99%, 56, 36.5C (ear)
blossom: 99%, 79, 36.5C (oral)
Thanks for converting my temp to celcius! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals