Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Betahistine For Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Health' started by poilochio, Jul 8, 2016.

1. poilochio

poilochio Member

My Gf

Has had weird sounds ..flushing..ringing etc for a week and its driving her mad..It happened when she was highly stressed due to a school paper she had to finish.

Today she went to the doc and he perscribed " betahistine mepha"

Now all my research on this Forum is that tinnitus is most likely caused by endotoxins...so im thinking carrot salad
    .charchoal..cypro etc.

Why would the doc prescribe this? I thought histamine is not good?

2. Mufasa

Mufasa Member

I saw a study that taurine can be helpful.

3. marteagal

marteagal Member

@poilochio, I hope your girlfriend has recovered from her tinnitus?!

Personally I had acute hearing losses in the low frequency bands + ringing in 2003, 2007, 2010 with complete spontaneous remissions within 2-3 days each. It was always caused by high psychological stress at work/university, similar to your g/f's situation.

After the first hearing loss I went to the doctor who gave me an injection (possibly containing cortisol?) but the condition got actually worse, not better, so on the later occasions I just did everything to reduce stress as much as possible - emotionally, without supplements, since I was not aware of Peat back then. Today I would use low doses of aspirin (around 100 or 250 mg) to thin the blood (but not too much since there are reports of ear ringing caused by too high an aspirin dose without adequate balancing with vitamin K). Also theanine, and methylene blue may help. I remember specifically the latter being recommended by Peat as an e-mail reply.

There are a few forum threads on ear ringing / tinnitus, in case you need more information.

Sorry, I don't have experience with betahistine.

4. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Ray emailed me at some point and he said it's caused mostly by endotoxins triggering endogenous opioids.

I had emailed him on behalf of my wife, but she is unwilling to follow his advice (carrot salad, avoiding raw veggies) that he said would help it go away.

There is evidence of this and naltrexone working by inhibiting the endogenous opioids:

The effect of naltrexone on the perception and distress in tinnitus: An open-label pilot study
    The effect of naltrexone on the perception and distress in tinnitus: An open-label pilot study

The opioid antagonist naltrexone blocks acute endotoxic shock by inhibiting tumor necrosis factor-α production
    The opioid antagonist naltrexone blocks acute endotoxic shock by inhibiting tumor necrosis factor-α production

5. Sucrates

Sucrates Member

Betahistine is used for vertigo and dizziness. I think endotoxin can cause tinnitus. I think aspirin can make tissues more permeable and allow endotoxin damage causing tinnitus in some cases.

6. Area-1255

Area-1255 Member

Betahistine actually works well for Tinnitus. It's primarily used to treat Meniere's disease which affects the vestibular neuronal networks / inner ear. It's not available in the USA except through a compound pharmacy, however, it is commonly prescribed in Canada and U.K for the condition.
    Betahistine information. Betahistine side effects | Patient
    Betahistine in the treatment of Ménière’s disease
    Betahistine in the treatment of tinnitus in patients with vestibular disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

Given it's a potent histamine H3 antagonist it can boost dopamine and acetylcholine some; improving memory potentially.

7. Sucrates

Sucrates Member

I take it for dizziness, haven't noticed an improvement in tinnitus or memory. It's pretty controversial in meniere's circles, I think it works for some and not others.

8. haidut

haidut Member

Lidocaine is an old and tried remedy for tinnitus. It also lowers endorphins and Peat has spoken favorably of the *caine local anesthetics, so this matches with views on opioids, endorphins and tinnitus. Other *caines, available as ointments from a local pharmacy should work as well.

ray peat aspirin tinnitus – Treatments for tinnitus

"...However, salicylate may produce tinnitus by a different mechanism than normal tinnitus, so NMDA antagonists may not be effective in patients. EMB can be discontinued as soon as the results of drug susceptibility studies demonstrate that the isolate is susceptible to the first-line agents. The traditional treatment for Meniere’s disease includes a low salt diet, diuretics, SERC (betahistine), often an anti-depressant and a drug to stabilize the dizziness. Lidocaine The earliest treatment ever discovered was lidocaine (Xylocaine), which effectively suppresses tinnitus."

9. OP
    poilochio

poilochio Member

Ok thank you so much for the reply ..i will definately look into those substances

10. OP
    poilochio

poilochio Member

Thanks for the reply...
    i have convinced her to start using the carrot salad

11. OP
    poilochio

poilochio Member

Ooooh interesting
    Interesting read thanks Haidut for the link....so is ginko "peaty" aswell? I remember in a gonna for sure get my hands on lidocaine

12. haidut

haidut Member

Peat spoke favorably about it in one of his earlier book. It seems to have dopaminergic qualities and suppress prolactin. But in more recent discussions Peat said it can also be estrogenic like all plants.

13. jyb

jyb Member

Tinnitus caused by aspirin can be cured with K2, that's another common treatment for it.

14. OP
    poilochio

poilochio Member

Ok .. Im in the process of researching lidocaine...products...so am i correct ..its for topical use only? So for tinnitus it would work "systemically"from applying in somewhere on the body?

15. haidut

haidut Member

As far as I see yes, you can apply anywhere but rubbing it close to the ear should be even better.

16. javacody

javacody Member

IT
    Would benzocaine work here? What would one expect? A gradual lessening of tinnitus over several weeks?

17. haidut

haidut Member

Any of the *caines should have similar effects. I have not used it for that purpose so I don't know what to expect.

18. javacody

javacody Member

IT
    The benzocaine I have on hand is an oral preparation with 20% benzocaine. I rubbed it behind my ears. No change in ringing, but it definitely absorbed because a few minutes later my lips got slightly numbed.

19. bzmazu

bzmazu Member

Have serious tinitus...nothing Peat suggests has helped...Itend to believe this has something to do w soft tissue calcification...but started taking taurine for other benefits...then took it last night before bed and see minor improvement for first time?...cautiously optimistic...will research

20. OP
    poilochio

poilochio Member

How much are you taking ? Btw my gf has been seeing a chinese medicine lasy and has been doing acupunture..she says as soon as the needles go in one of her "ear meridians" the tinnitus pitch drops drastically.