Beta-Oxidation - Good Or Bad? - I Am Confused

griesburner

I recently read a lot about beta-oxidation and now i am very confused if it is good or bad to increase or inhibit it. I know the dogma in this forum is that inhibition is preferable and i think so, too.

For example i think elevated free fatty acids in the blood are bad and can cause insulin resistance and many other problems. The question to me is what is worse? To have elevated free fatty acids streaming in the blood or to oxidise them? The following study found that an infection with influenza but also the administration of aspirin caused an inhibition of beta-oxidation. But this caused the free fatty acids to acumulate in the blood as i understand it.

Inhibition of fatty acid beta oxidation by influenza B virus and salicylic acid in mice
"Injection of concentrated influenza B/Lee/40 virus into 4-week-old Balb C mice resulted in 60% inhibition of 14C-palmitate oxidation in isolated hepatic mitochondria. Oral feeding of carnitine to infected mice prevented the inhibition of fatty acid oxidation. High concentrations of salicylic acid given orally also inhibited 14C-palmitate oxidation. Serum free fatty acid concentrations of infected mice and of those fed salicylic acid were significantly higher than in control mice. A combination of low-dose virus and low-dose salicylic acid inhibited palmitate oxidation, suggesting an additive effect on the metabolic derangement when the two agents were present simultaneously."

I know that one of aspirins desired effects seem to be the inibition of beta-oxidation and this seems to happen, but it caused in increase in free fatty acids and this sounds bad to me. Maybe anyone has a good explanation for that?

The following study showed that mice who did something similar to intermitttend fasting showed increased beta-oxidation. And this seemed to be beneficial. It caused an increae in performance and a decrease in lipid peroxidation.

Muscle physiology changes induced by every other day feeding and endurance exercise in mice: effects on physical performance. - PubMed - NCBI
"Every other day feeding (EOD) and exercise induce changes in cell metabolism. The aim of the present work was to know if both EOD and exercise produce similar effects on physical capacity, studying their physiological, biochemical and metabolic effects on muscle. Male OF-1 mice were fed either ad libitum (AL) or under EOD. After 18 weeks under EOD, animals were also trained by using a treadmill for another 6 weeks and then analyzed for physical activity. Both, EOD and endurance exercise increased the resistance of animals to extenuating activity and improved motor coordination. Among the groups that showed the highest performance, AL and EOD trained animals, ALT and EODT respectively, only the EODT group was able to increase glucose and triglycerides levels in plasma after extenuating exercise. No high effects on mitochondrial respiratory chain activities or protein levels neither on coenzyme Q levels were found in gastrocnemius muscle. However, exercise and EOD did increase β-oxidation activity in this muscle accompanied by increased CD36 levels in animals fed under EOD and by changes in shape and localization of mitochondria in muscle fibers. Furthermore, EOD and training decreased muscle damage after strenuous exercise. EOD also reduced the levels of lipid peroxidation in muscle. Our results indicate that EOD improves muscle performance and resistance by increasing lipid catabolism in muscle mitochondria at the same time that prevents lipid peroxidation and muscle damage."

But on the other hand there are the popular studies showing that partly inhibition of beta-oxidation are protective to the heart and are clinically used therefore and very promising. But if the inhibition of beta-oxitation caused an elevation of free fatty acids like showed in the first study i posted. How could that be a good thing? So i think maybe i misunderstood the whole concept about the inhibition by aspirin, niacinamide etc. I hope someone can clarify this topic a bit for me :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals