• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Beta-Carotene Is A Retinoid Antagonist

nograde

There were some trials in the past that showed increased lung-cancer incidence with "Vitamin A" supplementation in smokers. That also led to questions regarding the safety of retinol. Since beta-carotine supplementation was central in those trials the following study seems interesting:

Naturally occurring eccentric cleavage products of provitamin A β-carotene function as antagonists of retinoic acid receptors. - PubMed - NCBI

... These findings suggest that β-apocarotenoids function as naturally occurring retinoid antagonists. The antagonism of retinoid signaling by these metabolites may have implications for the activities of dietary β-carotene as a provitamin A and as a modulator of risk for cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Although the mechanisms responsible for the formation of the eccentric cleavage products of β-carotene in mammals are not fully known, it is clear that some of the long chain β-apocarotenals (e.g. 8′, 10′, 12′, 14′) are found in the plasma of humans (12) and experimental animals (13) and that these are increased under conditions of oxidative stress and high dietary doses of β-carotene (24).

Our analyses of both β-carotene-containing animal diets and fruits containing β-carotene suggest that any dietary source of β-carotene also contains β-apocarotenoids. It may also be useful to consider these findings in attempts to alleviate vitamin A deficiency in humans through the biofortification of crops with high levels of β-carotene.

Last edited:

nograde

Also note that in recent years a solid correlation between high cobalamin levels and cancer (especially in smokers) has been established. Could it be that b12 increases the production of those beta-carotene cleavage products? The role of b12 in the conversion of beta-carotene into retinol seems to be completely ignored in the scientific literature. Ray is the only one I know of who mentions that connection.

Luann

Has anyone noticed a smell , like body odor, after eating things high in B-carotene (mango, carrot)?

Not really carrot as much. More like mangoes or peaches.

Nick Ireland

Has anyone noticed a smell , like body odor, after eating things high in B-carotene (mango, carrot)?

Not really carrot as much. More like mangoes or peaches.
Yes. Carotenes will make your skin smell odd - they accumulate heavily in subcutaneous fat and also in the liver which can retain a hidden 75% of total reserves - that's a lot of clearing out to do!

Nick Ireland

I wonder what difference the use of Mehtyl B12 would make to those cleavage metabolites? Cobalamin can be very hit and miss for those with methyl issues and is a pretty crude form of the vitamin in my opinion, Methyl b12 made a world of difference for me when I really needed it as part of a detox a few years back. I had been a regular beta carotene user for many years at that point,

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ippodrom47 You CAN get vitamin A toxicity from beta-carotene Scientific Studies 3
ursidae Ways to reduce absorption of beta carotene? Vitamins 3
jpgio Consistent Negative reaction to foods high in vitamin A or beta carotene Fat-Soluble Vitamins 25
Ippodrom47 Extremely negative reaction to beta carotene? Ask For Help or Advice 35
Ippodrom47 How long till excess beta-carotene is removed from the body? Health 11
S beta carotene Vitamins 4
berk Trouble Understanding Vit A And Beta-carotene Recommendations Diet 2
R Is Beta-carotene A Problem? Health 3
R QUESTION: Fruits Low In Beta Carotene Fruits 4
methylenewhite Solving Carrot Salad's Beta-carotene Issue Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 10
ddjd Can Some People Not Convert Beta Carotene To Retinol? A 7
AretnaP How Inferior Is Beta-carotene Compared To Vitamin A From Meat Sources? Vitamins 16
Strongbad Okinawa Longevity Diet - Sweat Potatoes High In Beta-Carotene Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 27
E beta carotene in white flesh japanese sweet potato Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 8
J Cortisone Reduces Beta Carotene Conversion to Vitamin A Articles & Scientific Studies 1
D PUFAS,Beta Carotene And Fruits Diet, Recipes 16
J Vitamin A activity of beta-carotene surprisingly low Articles & Scientific Studies 6
G Beta-Alanine stress reducer? Supplements 4
Jon2547 Is Potassium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate safe to take? Supplements 2
P What’s the ideal ratio for mixed tocopherols (alpha/gamma/delta/beta) ? Vitamins 5
R Beta-alanine actually works for the burn during exercise (lactic acid) Amino Acids 24
MunenMuso Beta-Sitosterol (Pure Anhydrous) Solubility Ask For Help or Advice 0
J Beta blockers Ask For Help or Advice 3
Hgreen56 Asthma medication (Beta-2 agonists) gives lot of health benefits and perfect for beating corona ? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
C Tribulus Terrestris (TT) vs. Beta-Ecdysterone Anabolism Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 11
ddjd Testosterone agonises 11-beta-HSD-1 i.e. raising cortisol!! Ask For Help or Advice 4
Mr.Cacciatore DHEA Agonizes Estrogen Beta Receptor Male Issues 0
Bandooli Beta Blocker - Androgenic Alopecia? Ask For Help or Advice 2
Light "Peaty" Beta-Blockers? Ask For Help or Advice 7
R Lifetime Alcohol Intake Associated With Lower Cerebral Amyloid-beta Deposition Scientific Studies 11
A Any Conjectures On The Connection Between Beta Blockers And Depression? Ask For Help or Advice 0
GorillaHead An Array Of Tocopherols (d-alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma Tocopherol) Which One? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
R Mushrooms And Beta Glucans Ask For Help or Advice 4
GorillaHead Help Me Solve My Adrenaline Problem. Confirmed By Beta Blocker ! Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 17
Lokzo Beta Alanine May Raise Serum Thyroid Hormones Via L-Carnosine Production Scientific Studies 10
S Beta Alanine Raises Dopamine - Worsened OCD? Ask For Help or Advice 6
griesburner Beta-Oxidation - Good Or Bad? - I Am Confused Scientific Studies 1
B Man Reduces 17-Beta Oestradiol Eating Raw Onions Thyroid and Hormones 8
AretnaP Beta-alanine Vs Theanine For Serotonin Supplements 8
E Milk Bioactive Peptides And Beta-casomorphins Induce Mucus Release Scientific Studies 5
P Biotin May Lower Carnitin Production And Suppress Beta Oxidation Articles & Scientific Studies 1
Mary Pruter Beta Blocker Ask For Help or Advice 18
P Diabetogenic Impact Of Long-chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids On Pancreatic Beta-cell Function And The Regul Articles & Scientific Studies 2
Drareg 11-BETA-HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASE, TYPE II; HSD11B2 Scientific Studies 0
Giraffe Repair Of Pancreatic Beta-Cells Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 3
D New Here! Doubt Regarding DHT And ER-beta Receptors Meet & Greet 6
P Is Insulin Resistance A Result Of Impaired Beta Oxidation Or Excessive Beta Oxidation? Scientific Studies 24
D Beta-alanine, ME-CFS, And Unpleasant Effects Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Peatit Beta Oxidation Vs Glycolysis Metabolism 40
johnwester130 Beta - Alanine Or Carnosine Amino Acids 0