Beta Blocker

Mary Pruter

I need help and can't seem to find anything on beta blockers here. I did a search and came up with nothing found.

My mother fell and broke 5 ribs a week ago Sunday.

She was in the hospital for 8 days. During that time she was given morphine which, as I'm told, put her intestines to sleep. Almost had to have surgery but, "they woke up" and she finally pooped.

Every time they checked her blood pressure it was after they had moved her around and she felt some pretty bad pain. They said her blood pressure and heart rate were going up. They needed to put her on something to slow it down, keep it under control. They knew I was more holistic but never explained it to me! Said it would be in a low dose and would not interfere with her supplements at all. I'm not sure if this is true. Ends up, it's a beta blocker!

Can I get her off of This? How?

Also, she's had a catheter on her for over a week now and they are refusing to remove it. Keep making excuses. The kidney doctor came in and told me her kidneys were fine and functioning at 100%.....So, why does she still need a catheter in?

I want to pull her out of the nursing home now but she still need PT and I want to stop this beta blocker. What will happen if she just stops taking it?

I have posted about this every where and I'm not getting g help. Please, someone help me!

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

This is what she was taking for about 6 days in the hospital
Lopressor through iv 5mgs

Now she's on this, Coreg 3.125

L

lollipop

Hi @Mary Pruter. This seems extremely serious and I am not sure how many on this site would be able to help you nor would I trust responses from an internet site for something so important.

I would suggest you find locally a naturopathic doctor or an integrative medicine doctor to help you with your mother.

Thank you in advance for understanding my personal lack of ability to help you, though I surely wish I could!

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Okay. Thank you so much for helping. I totally understand and would only go through her doctor. I was hoping for some positive replies of some good news! I have read that if it's a small dose as she is on, that it could be reduced slowly until stopped but I wouldn't do it without a doctors supervision. The more I read the more angry I became! This is just SO upsetting!

Marg

Mary, when I was sick with "CFS" I was on 8o mg Inderol because of tachycardia. I eventually tapered off because of side effects.

Often, GPs and cardiologists give beta blockers for high blood pressure, along with tachycardia, or irregular heart rhythms. Do you know what her dose is in milligrams? If the beta blocker is too sedating or causes side effects for her, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor to lower the dose.

As I improved, I stopped the beta blocker. The dose was too high for me and I should have asked my doctor to lower the dose because 80 mg was too much for me.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

This is what she was taking for about 6 days in the hospital
Lopressor through iv 5mgs

Now she's on this, Coreg 3.125

Possibly due to the fact that she has afib. I controlled that with kelp and aspirin for the past 4 years and the doctors she's seen have always said it's fine. Now, she stress while moving and they take her blood pressure and it's high, bam, beta blocker!

Marg

Possibly due to the fact that she has afib. I controlled that with kelp and aspirin for the past 4 years and the doctors she's seen have always said it's fine. Now, she stress while moving and they take her blood pressure and it's high, bam, beta blocker!

Just curious, how did the kelp work? I had no idea that it could control blood pressure.

I think that doctors are more inclined to prescribe a lot to the elderly because most doctors presume that they probably should be on more meds and become upset if family questions the benefit. More drugs can interact with each other with increased side effects.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Just curious, how did the kelp work? I had no idea that it could control blood pressure.

I think that doctors are more inclined to prescribe a lot to the elderly because most doctors presume that they probably should be on more meds and become upset if family questions the benefit. More drugs can interact with each other with increased side effects.
The Kelp is a natural source of iodine. Her afib was caused by a lack of iodine or iodine deficiency. It didn't have anything to do with her blood pressure. They gave her the beta blocker because her heart rate and blood pressure went up and threw her afib out of whack. They never once did a resting blood pressure check, always after they were moving her around and causing her servere pain! The doctors would not let me give her ANY supplements while she was there and still, none yet. The doctor that prescribe the beta blocker promise me that they would not affect her supplements at all that she could take them. I hope that she can still take her kelp. I know she can take her aspirin.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Ya know, I was doing all the Peat supplements for her dementia, I had her back about 80% and then she got stressed out, so badly she got Shingles, that was April 11th, then this fall that broke 5 of her ribs! I have to say, I am amazed that still, even though she's going through this stress, which I was told would throw her dementia treatment out of whack and it did, but still, she is recalling thing on a day to day basis. Remember her nurses name, remembering the speech therapist saw her for less than an hour yesterday when she came in the room today my mother remembered her and that she was giving her list of words and numbers to try to remember and repeat back to her! That kinda shocked me, considering that I had just about lost her before I started Pears supplements!

I guess that's a pretty good testimony for everyone!

managing

The Kelp is a natural source of iodine. Her afib was caused by a lack of iodine or iodine deficiency. It didn't have anything to do with her blood pressure. They gave her the beta blocker because her heart rate and blood pressure went up and threw her afib out of whack. They never once did a resting blood pressure check, always after they were moving her around and causing her servere pain! The doctors would not let me give her ANY supplements while she was there and still, none yet. The doctor that prescribe the beta blocker promise me that they would not affect her supplements at all that she could take them. I hope that she can still take her kelp. I know she can take her aspirin.
If you have POA, doctors cannot stop you from giving her supplements. At least not in the US. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, beta blockers are just what they seem to be. If you can monitor and control her bp and afib on your own you might choose to taper her off of the beta blockers. Its your call. Not the doctors.

My approach is always to ask questions and listen carefully. Then make my own decisions and do as I choose. It would be foolish to ignore or discount what they say. Likewise it would be foolish to be intimidated by them.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

I talked with the cardiologist that saw her at the hospital and put her on it. He told me that I could just have it stopped there would be no problem because she's only been on it for about 12 days and it was the lowest dose. I didn't know what to do because of her heart rate due to the pain. So I have them give her three low-dose 81 mg aspirin a day with food and one kelp. I don't have a holistic doctor and I don't know what to do about it and that's all I could think of.

She has been off her dementia supplements for 17 days and she is a hot mess! Asking me and talking about all kinds of crazy thing including why she is there in a nursing home. Even though she is extremely stressed, I'm going to take the dementia supplements to the nursing home and have them give them to her! I cannot believe how far she had come back me, seemed like about 80% and now she's back to where I started, if not worse!

HDD

I talked with the cardiologist that saw her at the hospital and put her on it. He told me that I could just have it stopped there would be no problem because she's only been on it for about 12 days and it was the lowest dose. I didn't know what to do because of her heart rate due to the pain. So I have them give her three low-dose 81 mg aspirin a day with food and one kelp. I don't have a holistic doctor and I don't know what to do about it and that's all I could think of.

She has been off her dementia supplements for 17 days and she is a hot mess! Asking me and talking about all kinds of crazy thing including why she is there in a nursing home. Even though she is extremely stressed, I'm going to take the dementia supplements to the nursing home and have them give them to her! I cannot believe how far she had come back me, seemed like about 80% and now she's back to where I started, if not worse!

Has her urine been tested for UTI? Catheter's can be a source for frequent UTI's and the infection can worsen/cause dementia symptoms. This was always a symptom with both of my parents. My mother also had extreme mental symptoms when her electrolytes were messed up from taking a diuretic.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Oh my, I have to check with them about the uti. I gave her apple cider vinegar and water a couple of times but they're saying she shouldn't have it for some reason. I think I'll start back with that again. I can remember their reason all I do remember is that it was stupid!

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

If you have POA, doctors cannot stop you from giving her supplements. At least not in the US. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, beta blockers are just what they seem to be. If you can monitor and control her bp and afib on your own you might choose to taper her off of the beta blockers. Its your call. Not the doctors.

My approach is always to ask questions and listen carefully. Then make my own decisions and do as I choose. It would be foolish to ignore or discount what they say. Likewise it would be foolish to be intimidated by them.
I am not sure just what beta is. All I know is that the doctor scared the he'll out of me, saying she could have a stroke or heart attack.

managing

I am not sure just what beta is. All I know is that the doctor scared the he'll out of me, saying she could have a stroke or heart attack.
I would encourage you to read up on them. I'm certainly not an authority. They are prescribed often for high blood pressure. Going off of them COULD cause a stroke or heart attack IF the blood pressure sky rockets. Tapering them slowly might prevent this. Don't take my advice. I'm not a doctor. Do some research.

Doctors are trained to scare the hell out of you for considering anything not in their control. That doesn't make their advice right or wrong categorically.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

She is now off of it. I talked to the cardiologist that prescribe them for her while she was in the hospital and he said because it was the lowest dose and that she had only been on it for 13 days it was fine to just stop it. She has been off for 2 days now, blood pressure and heart rate are doing great!

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Thank you very much. I did research the one she was on for the side effects and she started having them around the 10th day!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals