Beta Blocker Killing My Libido

A

Anonymous

I was put on propranolol so I could tolerate Cytomel without the adrenaline response. And it has worked very well. And I don't get nearly as much anxiety. It's definitely helpful to my recovery. The problem is that it is killing my libido. Is there a way to combat this? Is it depleting Zinc levels? Thanks!

OP
A

Anonymous

Bump. Anyone know of a natural alternative?

haidut

Forum Supporter
JRMoney15 said:

Theanine lowers both adrenaline and cortisol. Search the forum for "theanine cortisol".
Also, the drug clonidine is probably better/safer than propranolol so you could ask your doctor about it. It also lowers cortisol, so it's a double benefit.

OP
A

Anonymous

haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

Theanine lowers both adrenaline and cortisol. Search the forum for "theanine cortisol".
Also, the drug clonidine is probably better/safer than propranolol so you could ask your doctor about it. It also lowers cortisol, so it's a double benefit.

Thank you. Do you think cyproheptadine could provide a similar effect for the purpose of putting a lid on adrenaline?

Also is the depression that people report on propranolol come from the fact that they are no longer running on adrenaline. So the depression could actually be a good thing assuming thyroid takes over?

So your plan is to keep taking something that stimulates adrenaline in your body, and then to add something else which puts "a lid on adrenaline?"

OP
A

Anonymous

oxidation_is_normal said:
So your plan is to keep taking something that stimulates adrenaline in your body, and then to add something else which puts "a lid on adrenaline?"

Yes. I got the idea from this post about Clonidine by Haidut:

viewtopic.php?t=5223

My doctor explains it here:

http://www.neuroendocrinology.org/thyro ... tance.html

"After careful analysis, I suspected partial peripheral resistance to thyroid hormone syndrome. Blood test measurements confirmed that Janet was in a general hypothyroid state, with the exception of her heart, which was racing in a hyperthyroid state (excess thyroid function). She was treated with Cytomel in increasing doses, while a beta-blocker was used to lower her heart rate in consultation with her cardiologist."

I don't necessarily know if the logic is correct, but it seems to work when people are not tolerating Cytomel.

Sea

If cytomel is increasing your adrenaline, you probably aren't eating enough food or taking to much at once.

haidut

Forum Supporter
JRMoney15 said:

viewtopic.php?t=5223

"After careful analysis, I suspected partial peripheral resistance to thyroid hormone syndrome. Blood test measurements confirmed that Janet was in a general hypothyroid state, with the exception of her heart, which was racing in a hyperthyroid state (excess thyroid function). She was treated with Cytomel in increasing doses, while a beta-blocker was used to lower her heart rate in consultation with her cardiologist."

I don't necessarily know if the logic is correct, but it seems to work when people are not tolerating Cytomel.

You can achieve pretty much the same effect with higher doses of theanine and caffeine. This way you don't run the risk of withdrawal effects from clonidine. Theanine in equal dosages blocks caffeine's effects on adrenalin and cortisol. So, you can take 200mg theanine + 200mg caffeine as many times a day as you want and the only upper limit is that at some point caffeine will start making you uncomfortably hyperthyroid and you have to lower the dose. For me, this happens at 600mg taken 3 times a day for a total of 1,800mg. Theanine was also 1,800mg.
Btw, unlike thyroid hormone, I don't know of anybody who has caffeine "resistance" so this should even in cases like Janet. Also, if she is "resistant" to thyroid hormone this means there is something blocking respiration, which usually is very high levels of free fatty acids. Before you go down the pharma route, try aspirin 2g 3 times a day for 2 weeks. This was shown to restrain the adaptation to fatty acid release and diabetic people (who are also thyroid resistant) started oxidizing sugar again. You can combine the aspirin regimen with a small dose of thyroid, maybe 1/2 grain daily. At the end of the 2 weeks she should have very little adrenalin rush and be able to go without food for hours without getting metabolic crashes and jitters.

JRMoney15 said:

viewtopic.php?t=5223

Why would you keep taking anything after having bad reactions to them? I suspect this behavior of disregarding one's own experiences is how many people ruined their health in the first place.

tara

I just had a quick scan to see if you've posted about your current diet anywhere, and I didn't find it. If you have, perhaps you can link to it? If not, perhaps you'd like to spell out here a bit about what and how much you are eating? I'd be wary of using supplements and drugs without first checking that basic nutrition is being supplied. Sometimes getting good nutrition solves a number of problems itself, and sometimes it doesn't. But you need decent nutrition to support hormone supplementation anyway, so may as well tackle it sooner than later.
You mentioned zinc, which could be relevant (oysters are the best food source I'm aware of, and Peat recommends), but so could many other nutrients, micro and macro.

tara

Salt can sometimes lower adrenaline. And sugar.

answersfound

haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5223

You can achieve pretty much the same effect with higher doses of theanine and caffeine. This way you don't run the risk of withdrawal effects from clonidine. Theanine in equal dosages blocks caffeine's effects on adrenalin and cortisol. So, you can take 200mg theanine + 200mg caffeine as many times a day as you want and the only upper limit is that at some point caffeine will start making you uncomfortably hyperthyroid and you have to lower the dose. For me, this happens at 600mg taken 3 times a day for a total of 1,800mg. Theanine was also 1,800mg.
Btw, unlike thyroid hormone, I don't know of anybody who has caffeine "resistance" so this should even in cases like Janet. Also, if she is "resistant" to thyroid hormone this means there is something blocking respiration, which usually is very high levels of free fatty acids. Before you go down the pharma route, try aspirin 2g 3 times a day for 2 weeks. This was shown to restrain the adaptation to fatty acid release and diabetic people (who are also thyroid resistant) started oxidizing sugar again. You can combine the aspirin regimen with a small dose of thyroid, maybe 1/2 grain daily. At the end of the 2 weeks she should have very little adrenalin rush and be able to go without food for hours without getting metabolic crashes and jitters.

So are you saying that someone who is severely hypothyroid can become hyperthyroid in just two weeks as long as they provide adequate sugar before taking the theanine/caffeine combo and aspirin?

haidut

Forum Supporter
answersfound said:
post 109617
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5223

So are you saying that someone who is severely hypothyroid can become hyperthyroid in just two weeks as long as they provide adequate sugar before taking the theanine/caffeine combo and aspirin?

No, where did you see in my posts that providing sugar can make you hyperthyroid?? I am saying that close to 2g of caffeine can make you hyperthyroid if taken long enough. Unlike thyroid, I don't think you can become resistant to caffeine. It is very good at making its way inside the cell even if it is drowning in PUFA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arctic Fire

I am saying that close to 2g of caffeine can make you hyperthyroid if taken long enough.

I'm trying to help a relative who may have made exactly this mistake -- though he was using significantly < 2g/day, but also other pro-metabolic stuff, lolz.

@haidut: Any thoughts about getting out of caffeine-induced hyperthyroidism hell? Propranolol for symptoms and wait?

golder

Can anyone offer a good comparison between clonidine and propranolol? Thanks!

Jing

Can anyone offer a good comparison between clonidine and propranolol? Thanks!
If you are going to take a beta blocker you should maybe look into nebivolol, can supposedly be good for erections.

Jing

Trump also apparently incites erections
Lol

golder

Propanol vs nebivolol vs clonidine for antagonising adrenaline.

I would love to get a comprehensive pros/cons peaty comparison on these if someone could help share their expertise!

Sherbert

Theanine in equal dosages blocks caffeine's effects on adrenalin and cortisol. So, you can take 200mg theanine + 200mg caffeine as many times a day as you want and the only upper limit is that at some point caffeine will start making you uncomfortably hyperthyroid and you have to lower the dose.
so would doing this be a substitute of sorts to taking thyroid?