Beta-Alanine stress reducer?

Gustav3Y

Why would beta-alanine cause physical stress relief, less physical irritation, while magnesium or many other supposed stress relievers don't do anything?
As far as I have seen no one really takes this unless they are bodybuilding but that is not my case.
Maybe beta-alanine has a bad reputation due to association with bodybuilding?

Has anyone felt that is helps with mid physical irritation and physical restlessness?
Does it have any anti-adrenaline proprieties?

OP
G

Gustav3Y

I have found something which this forum will not like in that study.

"Moreover, L-Arg concentration in the hypothalamus was increased by taurine-supplemented diet. One of the most important functions of L-Arg is the precursor of nitric oxide (NO), which has an antidepressant-like effect in animal models of depression (da Silva et al. 2000)."

OP
G

Gustav3Y

"In the hypothalamus, beta-alanine-supplemented diet decreased the concentration of 5-HIAA. 5-HIAA is considered to be metabolized from 5-HT, which is implicated to be related to the animal model of anxiety (Handley and McBlane 1993). Moreover, by beta-alanine-supplemented diet, increases in carnosine concentration in the cerebral cortex and hypothalamus were also observed

Taurine and beta-alanine are included in the beta-amino acid group, and they are antagonistic to each other at the blood-brain barrier (Takeuchi et al. 2000). Thus, it is considered that the increase of beta-alanine concentration in blood induces the decrease of taurine concentration in the brain. However, our data could not confirm these facts. Indeed, the beta-alanine concentration in the brain was not increased. Hence, taurine could pass through the blood-brain barrier without the antagonism.

OP
G

Gustav3Y

Anecdote
Took some Beta-Alanine, quarter teaspoon, ate some chocolate carbs, temp shot up to 98.8F (axillary mercury thermometer)
Interestingly enough this can happen sometimes, but it does not keep the temp up for too long.
I think 1 hours later I was back to my regular temperature.

Michael Mohn

There're good threads on beta alanine in this forum. Beta alanine has lot of interesting actions from the Peat perspective. Unfortunately it gives some people a very painful burning sensation in higher doses and benefits seem to stop rather soon.

David PS

It appears to be good for cognition and for mood.