Beta-alanine actually works for the burn during exercise (lactic acid)

ReSTART

Been taking 4g a day for a while now, I can exercise more and it takes longer for the burn to start

success23

I have experience it too. I took it when i was working in construction. Good supplement.

Michael Mohn

Everything over 200mg of beta alanine gives me pins and needles sensation in the skin. What does it mean?

S-VV

The pins and needles (neuropathy-like) can become permanent

Hans

Forum Supporter
Everything over 200mg of beta alanine gives me pins and needles sensation in the skin. What does it mean?
Here we show that, in mice, β-alanine elicited itch-associated behavior that requires MrgprD, a G-protein-coupled receptor expressed by a subpopulation of primary sensory neurons. These neurons exclusively innervate the skin, respond to β-alanine, heat, and mechanical noxious stimuli but do not respond to histamine.

Strikingly, MrgprD+ axons exclusively innervate the epidermis of hairy and glabrous skin (Zylka et al., 2005), raising the untested possibility they may be involved in the skin-specific sensation of itch.

Michael Mohn

I bought beta alanine because I wanted to deplete my histidine levels and subsequently reduce histamine and hopefully reduce allergies. These intense pin&needle sensation holds me back to increase the dose.

Michael Mohn

Here we show that, in mice, β-alanine elicited itch-associated behavior that requires MrgprD, a G-protein-coupled receptor expressed by a subpopulation of primary sensory neurons. These neurons exclusively innervate the skin, respond to β-alanine, heat, and mechanical noxious stimuli but do not respond to histamine.

Strikingly, MrgprD+ axons exclusively innervate the epidermis of hairy and glabrous skin (Zylka et al., 2005), raising the untested possibility they may be involved in the skin-specific sensation of itch.
Interesting, I know about beta alanine inducing this sensation but I wonder how people take several grams. If I go over a gram it feels like my skin gets peeled off.

success23

I bought beta alanine because I wanted to deplete my histidine levels and subsequently reduce histamine and hopefully reduce allergies. These intense pin&needle sensation holds me back to increase the dose.

Did it work for allergies?

Dr. B

it should go away after some time. maybe a few months. i regularly took 4grams a day, in a protein shake. it had 4g but i would drink it over 30 minutes or an hour. so it wasnt immediate. it was alongside 5g creatine. some claim it can deplete taurine?

Rick K

The pins and needles (neuropathy-like) can become permanent
Nonsense. It is only a histamine release during conversion to carnosine. Effect is muted with food. Nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. B

Nonsense. It is only a histamine release during conversion to carnosine. Effect is muted with food. Nothing to be concerned about.
so beta alanine does increase histamine levels when ingested?

Rick K

so beta alanine does increase histamine levels when ingested?
It does but only for a few minutes. Again, mitigated with food.

cjm

Been taking 4g a day for a while now, I can exercise more and it takes longer for the burn to start

Did you find it helped you finally place at the Olympics after coming in last all those years? If not, something to look forward to.

"To our knowledge, this is the first meta-analysis to be published on this topic and it shows that there is a significant effect of β-alanine supplementation on all exercise measures when taken as a single group. Analysis indicates that supplementation with a total of 179 g of β-alanine (the median dose across all studies) would result in a median improvement of 2.85% compared with a placebo. Assuming a linear relationship between running speed and percentage effect, if this improvement was extrapolated and applied to a sporting event lasting around 4 min, such as a 1,500 m run, performance time would be improved by ~6 s. This improvement would be sufficient to move the last place finalist in the men’s 1,500 m at the Beijing 2008 Olympic games to a bronze medal position."

~

I was just moseying through a normie link that had references on beta alanine in case anyone wanted to do some light Sunday reading:

"Fatigue sets in: Muscle acidity blocks glucose breakdown and reduces your muscles’ ability to contract. This causes fatigue.

Carnosine buffer: Carnosine serves as a buffer against the acid, reducing the acidity in muscles during high-intensity exercise."

Last edited:

cjm

I moved a bunch of heavy furniture around in my garage yesterday after taking 6g and I had a lot more endurance to keep going without feeling like giving up. It feels like a little miracle to keep the lactic acid burn away but it was an immediate effect that lasted several hours.

Dr. B

I moved a bunch of heavy furniture around in my garage yesterday after taking 6g and I had a lot more endurance to keep going without feeling like giving up. It feels like a little miracle to keep the lactic acid burn away but it was an immediate effect that lasted several hours.
whats the side effects to this stuff long term? taurine depletion?
it increases anxiety and has a laxative effect if taking 4-6g at one time with food or a shake.
it does help with reducing the muscle burn but im not sure if its safe long term.
also if youre not getting the carnosyn patented form theres higher chances of impurities.
beta alanine should have no odor at all.. as long as youve got carnosyn. all the non carnosyn beta alanines ive tried had strange odors.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals