Best Way To Prepare Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Cookware, Microwave' started by DJ123, May 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DJ123

DJ123 Member

I have access to a air fryer or I could boil them. Which method would you choose and why?

2. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Peel and remove eyes, green parts etc., and boil. Safest as it reduces toxins

3. Collden

Collden Member

Boiled potatoes can be great but IMHO have to be boiled a lot longer than than most sources recommend, if you stick a fork in them it should slide out as easily as it went in. I usually boil for 40-50 minutes minimum, with skin, then peel them afterwards. Taste so good this way they can be eaten on their own.

Otherwise I fry them in the oven, peeled beforehand and pre-boil them for a couple of minutes before putting in the oven, found pre-boiling greatly improves the texture of oven potatoes.

4. jzeno

jzeno Member

I suggest boiling or cooking dry in a slow cooker (crock pot).

More elaboration and a source:

5. LLight

LLight Member

I generally cut potatoes in slices after having peeled them. I'm pretty sure that it significantly decreases the cooking time (when boiled). But it's a bit more work :):

It may also increase how homogeneous the cooking is.

6. postman

postman Member

The only cooking method that significantly reduces the glycoalcoloid content is deep frying at 210 degrees celcius. Most of it is in the peel so peeling them is always good.

7. JudiBlueHen

JudiBlueHen Member

What sort of fat do you deep fry them in?

8. postman

postman Member

I haven't actually tried this because I don't have a deep fryer but some saturated fats with a high smoking point are beef fat/tallow and cocoa butter. There are some deodorized (tasteless) cocoa butters on the market although I haven't tried them. Maybe straight fatty acids like plain caprylic acid or stearic acid would work.

It might not worth spending the time and money on this anyways unless you love potatoes but are hypersensitive to solanine and chaconine.

9. Greg

Greg Member

High temperature cooking (frying, baking) on the other hand strongly increases acrylamide. It is not yet proven with certainty that it is very harmful, but perhaps better be cautious with this.
    Frying in oils also causes that potatoes soak oil like crazy, making them very caloric and causing the eater to be exposed to effects of Randle cycle, which is maybe not good with so highly glycemic foods as potatoes, fat and carbs in huge amounts at the same time in bloodstream.
    Another issue is that water using cooking methods increase gelatinisation of starch, making them more digestible.
    Deep peeling should be used to eliminate solanine as much as possible.
    Also it is good to go organic with potatoes, research shows that among vegetables they are among those which contain most of chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc).

10. OP
    DJ123

DJ123 Member

isn't that a good thing?

11. Greg

Greg Member

It is. I didn't express my self best, probably. By "another issue" I just meant "another thing to consider", not "another negative problem". I was actually trying to juxtapose water cooking methods to frying and baking as something better.

12. PATB

PATB Member

I do this too, but I forgot about pre-boiling them a bit, which I used to do. I will try to remember to do it next time.

Usually, I just put them in the oven with coconut oil mixed in (sometimes a bit of beef broth) and mix them up with herbs and spices at 425F for about an hour or so (I often turn it off after 1hr and leave them in for a bit though)