Best Way To Prepare Potatoes?

DJ123

I have access to a air fryer or I could boil them. Which method would you choose and why?

Collden

Boiled potatoes can be great but IMHO have to be boiled a lot longer than than most sources recommend, if you stick a fork in them it should slide out as easily as it went in. I usually boil for 40-50 minutes minimum, with skin, then peel them afterwards. Taste so good this way they can be eaten on their own.

Otherwise I fry them in the oven, peeled beforehand and pre-boil them for a couple of minutes before putting in the oven, found pre-boiling greatly improves the texture of oven potatoes.

jzeno

I suggest boiling or cooking dry in a slow cooker (crock pot).

More elaboration and a source:

Ray Peat always says "well-cooked starches", but doesn't elaborate. Charlotte Gerson elaborates in her book: https://www.truthseekerz.com/The.Ge...al.Program.for.Cancer.and.Other.Illnesses.pdf

Page 339

"Potatoes are most often boiled slowly in a covered pot over medium low heat approximately 1 hour until tender."

A second method I use is cooking several potatoes in a crock pot on low for 8 hours. I cook them until they emit a pleasant aroma and I can pierce them with a fork effortlessly. About 8 hours.

LLight

Boiled potatoes can be great but IMHO have to be boiled a lot longer than than most sources recommend, if you stick a fork in them it should slide out as easily as it went in. I usually boil for 40-50 minutes minimum, with skin, then peel them afterwards. Taste so good this way they can be eaten on their own.

I generally cut potatoes in slices after having peeled them. I'm pretty sure that it significantly decreases the cooking time (when boiled). But it's a bit more work :):

It may also increase how homogeneous the cooking is.

postman

The only cooking method that significantly reduces the glycoalcoloid content is deep frying at 210 degrees celcius. Most of it is in the peel so peeling them is always good.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
The only cooking method that significantly reduces the glycoalcoloid content is deep frying at 210 degrees celcius. Most of it is in the peel so peeling them is always good.
What sort of fat do you deep fry them in?

postman

What sort of fat do you deep fry them in?
I haven't actually tried this because I don't have a deep fryer but some saturated fats with a high smoking point are beef fat/tallow and cocoa butter. There are some deodorized (tasteless) cocoa butters on the market although I haven't tried them. Maybe straight fatty acids like plain caprylic acid or stearic acid would work.

It might not worth spending the time and money on this anyways unless you love potatoes but are hypersensitive to solanine and chaconine.

Greg

High temperature cooking (frying, baking) on the other hand strongly increases acrylamide. It is not yet proven with certainty that it is very harmful, but perhaps better be cautious with this.
Frying in oils also causes that potatoes soak oil like crazy, making them very caloric and causing the eater to be exposed to effects of Randle cycle, which is maybe not good with so highly glycemic foods as potatoes, fat and carbs in huge amounts at the same time in bloodstream.
Another issue is that water using cooking methods increase gelatinisation of starch, making them more digestible.
Deep peeling should be used to eliminate solanine as much as possible.
Also it is good to go organic with potatoes, research shows that among vegetables they are among those which contain most of chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc).

OP
DJ123

DJ123

High temperature cooking (frying, baking) on the other hand strongly increases acrylamide. It is not yet proven with certainty that it is very harmful, but perhaps better be cautious with this.
Frying in oils also causes that potatoes soak oil like crazy, making them very caloric and causing the eater to be exposed to effects of Randle cycle, which is maybe not good with so highly glycemic foods as potatoes, fat and carbs in huge amounts at the same time in bloodstream.
Another issue is that water using cooking methods increase gelatinisation of starch, making them more digestible.
Deep peeling should be used to eliminate solanine as much as possible.
Also it is good to go organic with potatoes, research shows that among vegetables they are among those which contain most of chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc).
isn't that a good thing?

Greg

isn't that a good thing?
It is. I didn't express my self best, probably. By "another issue" I just meant "another thing to consider", not "another negative problem". I was actually trying to juxtapose water cooking methods to frying and baking as something better.

PATB

I fry them in the oven, peeled beforehand and pre-boil them for a couple of minutes before putting in the oven, found pre-boiling greatly improves the texture of oven potatoes.
I do this too, but I forgot about pre-boiling them a bit, which I used to do. I will try to remember to do it next time.

Usually, I just put them in the oven with coconut oil mixed in (sometimes a bit of beef broth) and mix them up with herbs and spices at 425F for about an hour or so (I often turn it off after 1hr and leave them in for a bit though)

Hgreen56

I generally cut potatoes in slices after having peeled them. I'm pretty sure that it significantly decreases the cooking time (when boiled). But it's a bit more work :):
i use a apple cutter thats give you nice fat slices of potato lol, works very quick and easy to clean.
images

David90

Boiling for 45-50min or Putting them in Cold Water beforehand (to bring the Starch out a bit) a put them in a Pan to make German ''Bratkaroffeln'' with it :yum:

Same here. It Reduces Time easily by 10-15 Minutes.

Apple

30 min pressure cooking/ pressure steaming, some lectins require higher temperature to be destroyed

Inaut

Boiling for 45-50min or Putting them in Cold Water beforehand (to bring the Starch out a bit) a put them in a Pan to make German ''Bratkaroffeln'' with it :yum:

Same here. It Reduces Time easily by 10-15 Minutes.

My German grandmother used to soak them in cold water as well. Very helpful to know why she did that :). Thanks

golder

trying to work out how to remove the starch when creating the potato juice that Ray favourably talks about. Would anyone be kind enough to help me here? Thanks!

Arnold Grape

Boiled (cut in pieces), as others have said. I have not noticed a tremendous difference in digestion from cooking until the potato falls apart, but I also tend to mash these in a copious amount of grass fed butter and salt. A small amount of added milk adds texture.