Best Way To Get Gelatin?

DMF

What is the best way to incorporate gelatin into one's diet? 'Knox" brand and/or other "instant mixes"? Just how real, natural or good can an instant mix be? Sure a real broth made directly from whatever animal involved would, I suppose, be the best choice, but it's probably expensive and my budget is tight.
Ray Peat's article is a real eye-opener for me and I thank him and his knowledge immensely.

nwo2012

DMF said:
What is the best way to incorporate gelatin into one's diet? 'Knox" brand and/or other "instant mixes"? Just how real, natural or good can an instant mix be? Sure a real broth made directly from whatever animal involved would, I suppose, be the best choice, but it's probably expensive and my budget is tight.
Ray Peat's article is a real eye-opener for me and I thank him and his knowledge immensely.

Great Lakes beef collagen hydrolysate is what I use and recommend. So does RP. You can buy it in 10lbs bags. Last quite a while. And you dont need to ship it international as I do. ;)

OP
D

DMF

Thank You nwo 2012 - 'Just got off the phone with Great Lakes awhile ago. Do you feel healthier? How do you take it/what "dossage"?

nwo2012

DMF said:
Thank You nwo 2012 - 'Just got off the phone with Great Lakes awhile ago. Do you feel healthier? How do you take it/what "dossage"?

I did notice my joints improve but that could well be the thyroid corrections so cant say although Im sure the gelatin helps. We use it to balance out the tryptothan and cysteine in meats. Whenever I eat meat, I put 4 teasoons of gelatin into my coffee (helps reduce iron absorption). Peat suggests 10g for every serving of meat (lamb, beef or fish). It is also good to have a tsp of eggshell calcium with meat to balance the phosphorus.

Hope this helps.

OP
D

DMF

Thanks again. I also believe my thyroid is under par as well. Might you be familiar with "Stop The Thyroid Madness" website by any chance?

Philomath

Since it's my belief that I could use more glycine and general protein in my diet, and because I'm a bit lazy, I decided to create a Peat inspired protein power meal. The reason I've posted this is so the forum can let me know if this is a good or bad idea, and for potential suggestions.

The loaf contains approximately 90 grams of protein!
It breaks down as follows:
10 tbls gelatin - 59.9 grams protein
2 lbs peeled, cooked (30 min) potatoes - 30 grams protein*
1 cup fresh squeezed Orange juice - 1.7 grams protein**

To balance the protein it has sugar (carbs) and fat

1 cup orange juice - 20 grams sugar
1 cup white granulated sugar - 201 grams
1 tsp coconut oil

I also added a tsp of salt and a pinch of cream of tartar (potassium)

I read somewhere on the forum, perhaps under the RPPS thread, that potatoes should not be eaten cold. As a precaution, I am going to let it set to room temp before I eat it.

* - based in Dr. Peat saying 2 lbs of potatoes has the protein equivalency of a quart of milk

** - plus all the added vitamins and minerals

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,092

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
Since it's my belief that I could use more glycine and general protein in my diet, and because I'm a bit lazy, I decided to create a Peat inspired protein power meal. The reason I've posted this is so the forum can let me know if this is a good or bad idea, and for potential suggestions.

The loaf contains approximately 90 grams of protein!
It breaks down as follows:
10 tbls gelatin - 59.9 grams protein
2 lbs peeled, cooked (30 min) potatoes - 30 grams protein*
1 cup fresh squeezed Orange juice - 1.7 grams protein**

To balance the protein it has sugar (carbs) and fat

1 cup orange juice - 20 grams sugar
1 cup white granulated sugar - 201 grams
1 tsp coconut oil

I also added a tsp of salt and a pinch of cream of tartar (potassium)

I read somewhere on the forum, perhaps under the RPPS thread, that potatoes should not be eaten cold. As a precaution, I am going to let it set to room temp before I eat it.

* - based in Dr. Peat saying 2 lbs of potatoes has the protein equivalency of a quart of milk

** - plus all the added vitamins and minerals
WOW! That is so creative. I'd probably have mine with a 1/4 tsp of egg shell powder just to make sure I got some calcium in but I'm truly impressed. Thanks for sharing your idea with the forum! :D

Katty

Can you tell us the preparation instructions for this recipe? I've made gelatin squares/candy, but I'm trying to figure out how the potatoes figure into it when cooking.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Philomath, how does it taste?

jyb

How do you cook that? Mixing in the potatoes seems a bit tricky (unless you mean RPPS, in which case its liquid indeed).

Philomath said:

I think it just meant cooked. Once cooked, I suppose that RPPS or potatoes can be preserved with gelatin, as it seems like gelatin sweets are not prone to any bacterial growth even at room temperature.

Philomath

Charlie said:
Philomath, how does it taste?

Surprisingly unsweet. I had envisioned a giant gummy bear but it tastes like cold mashed potatoes with a hint of orange.
So that means it might make a good base for a savory meal. If I do go that direction, I would add broth instead of water and juice, amp up the salt and add bacon or some sort of meat maybe. I think crunchy bacon might layer the texture - it is a bit soft and "spongey". If I go sweet, I'll need a lot more sugar and probably an orange oil to boost the flavor. Maybe add some coconibs for texture.

Jyb, as far as the RPPS comments, it was under one of Dan Wichs' posts about Resistant Starch that made me think boiling then cooling potatos may increase the RS and be an endotoxin promoter. Maybe I worried about that too much.

On a side note, and this may be total coincidence, I've eaten a few ounces of this on two occasions and after I've eaten it my heart beat has gone down. I didn't measure my BPM beforehand so I don't know if its related to the food or not. However, I will check again because it may be a protein "overload", and cause a sharp decrease in blood sugar, in which case I need a LOT more sugar/carbohydrates to compensate.

As far as the potato's themselves and their method of preperation, here's the "recipe":

1. Skin 2 lbs. of potatos and boil for 30-40 minutes, drain, mash and set aside
2. Add 1 cup water to a non-reactive pot - do not heat yet
3. While stirring, add 10 Tbls gelatin to the water, stop and let bloom for 5 minutes
3. Heat the gelatin to dissolve
4. Once dissolved, take off heat, add juice and mashed potatoes
5. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth
6. Add salt to taste, then add any other nutrients like potassium, calcium, etc.
7. Pour into coconut oil lined bread pan and let it set, or cool

Voila!

Anyone have a good RP friendly pancake recipe btw?? Potato flour and....

MightyFall

I have a similar problem since I don't drink coffee and find it difficult to incorporate gelatin into my diet.

Would hydrolysed collagen supplements sourced from gelatin be an adequate source of gelatin?

tara

I don't know that it's best, but this is how I eat gelatin:

1. Orange juce jellies:
Mix c. 1 cup gelatin powder with 1 cup sugar in a pot - more or less sugar would work just as well, but my kids and I like it like this. Add 4 cups cold orange juice. Let it stand for a few minutes. Stir. Heat slowly, stirring from time to prevent it burning on the bottom. Pour into coconut oil-greased dish. Wait till it cools. Cut into squares. Keeps for 3-4 days in fridge, or longer in freezer. Carry some with me when I go out for easy portable protein+sugar snacks, or to go with meat lunch.
This jelly goes moldy out of the fridge in a couple of days, or in the fridge after a bit longer. I assume commercial gummy sweets are preserved by higher sugar concentration and/or other preservatives.

2. Buy cheap beef or muttons bones with some meat on them. Cover with water in a lidded pot. Simmer for 2-3 hrs. Add salt sometime. Cool till fat solidifies. Remove excess fat from surface. Remove meat and soft gristle from bones. Put aside. Discard bones. Store stock in fridge for two to three days, or longer in freezer. I use the meat for midday meals, and the stock with well cooked veges for my evening meals. You could cook veges in with the bones if you prefer.

Dan W

tara said:
1. Orange juce jellies:
I make these too. I try all kinds of juices, cherry + lemon being my current favorite. It still tastes pretty good without the sugar, and I think it may keep longer that way (I've never had it mold, at least). Although mine always forms a layer of tiny dry bubbles on the surface when it cools, have you figured out a way around that?

tara

Dan Wich said:
tara said:
1. Orange juce jellies:
I make these too. I try all kinds of juices, cherry + lemon being my current favorite. It still tastes pretty good without the sugar, and I think it may keep longer that way (I've never had it mold, at least). Although mine always forms a layer of tiny dry bubbles on the surface when it cools, have you figured out a way around that?
I've tried a couple of other juices, but oj was most successful for me. I haven't seen any cherry juice around, and expect it would be prohibitively expensive if I did, but sounds delicious.

Although mine always forms a layer of tiny dry bubbles on the surface when it cools, have you figured out a way around that?
Take to it with a beater, and turn it into marshmallows. :)

Mine usually does this too. Varies depending on how much air gets in with stirring, and temperature when pouring, I think. But I haven't cared enough to try to stop it. Last one didn't have this layer, but it was no special effort on my part.
Actually, I have tried making them into marshmallows, but it takes too long and they weren't all that fluffy - maybe double the volume?

jyb

tara said:
2. Buy cheap beef or muttons bones with some meat on them. Cover with water in a lidded pot. Simmer for 2-3 hrs. Add salt sometime. Cool till fat solidifies. Remove excess fat from surface. Remove meat and soft gristle from bones. Put aside. Discard bones. Store stock in fridge for two to three days, or longer in freezer. I use the meat for midday meals, and the stock with well cooked veges for my evening meals. You could cook veges in with the bones if you prefer.

Do you know how long each of these can be kept for at fridge temperature? Upon cooking, one can separate the (tender) meat, the fat floating in the liquid and clearer part of the liquid which contains the gelatin (will become a solid gel upon cooling).

Because of the separation, the gelatin will look sort of clear but will still have a bit of meaty taste.

tara

jyb said:
tara said:

Do you know how long each of these can be kept for at fridge temperature? Upon cooking, one can separate the (tender) meat, the fat floating in the liquid and clearer part of the liquid which contains the gelatin (will become a solid gel upon cooling).

Because of the separation, the gelatin will look sort of clear but will still have a bit of meaty taste.
I don't know, and I wonder too. I usually aim to eat within 2-3 days, but sometimes it doesn't work out and I've still eaten it after 4 or sometimes even 5 days. I haven't had any noticable stomach upset from it yet, but that might be luck.

However, since reading Peat's article on meat, I've been concerned that it might be breaking down and creating an increasingly high level of biogenic amines the longer I leave it. This might not be doing my sensitive neurological system any favours. I guess it would be better to eat within a day, but I'm working with the logistics I can manage.

I'd be interested in other's thoughts on this.

loess

Same here, tara. I pull the meat off of the oxtails after ~2.5 hours or so, and try to eat it within a couple of days, and the gelatin within 3 days. One thing I am not clear on is if there is a significant level of iron in the gelatin?

tara

loess said:
Same here, tara. I pull the meat off of the oxtails after ~2.5 hours or so, and try to eat it within a couple of days, and the gelatin within 3 days. One thing I am not clear on is if there is a significant level of iron in the gelatin?
Good question. I don't know. My guess is more of it will be in the solid meat but some in the gelatine too, but that's just a guess.

loess

That's what I've been thinking too. I want to separate and remove the fat & remaining meat particles that settle to the bottom, and then mix the gelatin with fruit juice, then refrigerate it to firm up again. The gelatin in homemade broth always seems to have more of an authentically "jello-y" consistency and I think it would be more appealing to family & friends than the way it comes out when I make fruit jellies with Great Lakes.