Best Way To Chelate Iron?

TreasureVibe

Hi all. Since Dr. Peat is so firmly advocating against the dangers of iron I wonder, what can one do to lower iron levels?

I figured vitamin E would lower iron but I'm unsure. Vitamin B1 could chelate iron, but I once took vitamin B1 100 mg and it made me feel very nausious and sweaty. And IP6 phytate. Perhaps cilantro as well but it was a weak chelator according to an expert..

Thoughts?

Ulysses

donate blood

smith

Take IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) away from meals with nothing digesting.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I didn't get an iron blood test but my mother (56 years old female) and hers was 85 ferritin. Is this good or bad according to Peating?

Frequent sauna or sweating, combined with large amounts of aspirin and activated charcoal would be my first approach, unless it were an emergency - in which case I would give some blood. There is controversy surrounding whether charcoal or aspirin actually preform iron chelation, I feel that they do if you take both together frequently, my theory is the aspirin creates micro tears in the g.i. and the charcoal filters some of that blood.

I was actually near iron anemia at the start of this year and had to take some extra measures to get my iron back up to normal. I kept this list from back then of the things that may chelate iron. Some known chelators, others potential:

Turmeric
Aspirin
Coffee / Tea
NAC
Taurine / Carnitine
Cilantro
Sweating
Potassium
Zinc
Calcium
MSM
Distilled water on empty stomach

A study covering some more specific natural and synthetic substances: Synthetic and natural iron chelators: therapeutic potential and clinical use

Last edited:

dbh25

I didn't get an iron blood test but my mother (56 years old female) and hers was 85 ferritin. Is this good or bad according to Peating?
85 is good. Why don't you get tested, before lowering what could already be too low? There is a range, you can go low.
Or give blood 1 or 2x in a year and see how you feel.

smith

Since we're on the topic, what's the difference between heavy metal iron (metal shavings in your cereal) and "blood iron" or whatever, can metal particles eventually be used by the body or must all iron be processed through plants or livers to be available?