Best UK Brands Of Milk, Cheese, And OJ?

I find all the smooth apple juices fairly pleasant when cooled. OJs are a bit more of a minefield. The best freshly squeezed (smooth) I’ve found is what M+S do. Even their cheaper (not from concentrate) is better than most OJs out there, so you can get two for £3.

Cheeses are usually the parmegianno, pecorino’s (if you love the salt, but being sheep’s milk seems to be higher in PUFA). Usually all available in tescos, Sainsbury’s. M+S/Waitrose are a lot more expensive for cheeses.

I consider most commercially sold milks as bad. But A2 varieties sold might work. Goats milk works for others. Personally I like Graham’s blue cream milk (lowered fat at 36g per quart). They only sell it in Waitrose where I am from, and I’ve seen it in other Waitrose’s. The full fat one is fine too, though.

And then you have the UHT milk to try as well which can be stored a long time, and might pose less problems for others.

And of course, you can go local. I’ve only done it a few times at farmers markets. Raw milk was interesting I guess! Not sure what I made of it (perhaps didn’t give it more time to judge). Cheeses and meats are great from farmers markets if their practices are good. Offal, as usual, is very cheap. Good places to buy all kinds of organ meats.

OP
M

metabolizm

Can confirm that Co-op’s own brand of smooth OJ is very good and cheap.

I’m still undecided about milk. Been going for mostly whole milk and the unhomogenised options in most supermarkets seem to be pretty good.

OP
M

metabolizm

Since experimenting with quality unhomogenised whole milk, most of the standard supermarket stuff - even the “organic” brands - seems almost tasteless. The best supermarket milk I’ve had is Waitrose Duchy whole milk. Full of flavour and just lovely. I’ll be sticking with that for now.

Unhomogenised sems to be the way to go.

rob

@metabolizm To memory, used to get Sainsbury's unhomogenised Jersey milk and found it reasonably tasty – don't know if that's the case anymore. Sure the Waitrose one is lovely.

If tolerate it and want to guard against gut issues, probably better to at least get the unhomogenised stuff for increased exosome/microRNA benefits.

OP
M

metabolizm

@metabolizm To memory, used to get Sainsbury's unhomogenised Jersey milk and found it reasonably tasty – don't know if that's the case anymore. Sure the Waitrose one is lovely.

If tolerate it and want to guard against gut issues, probably better to at least get the unhomogenised stuff for increased exosome/microRNA benefits.

I had the Sainsbury's Jersey milk recently, but found it too creamy, almost like drinking single cream.