Best treatment for my hair loss

Cfgalak

Hi everyone, 32 year old male.

I have hair loss after taking SSRIs. I have given up on SSRIs, but I believe I am still high serotonin (I have used cyprus in the past, without success).

I also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which I treat with T3 and T4.

What can I do to improve the health of my hair? I already take vitamin D + K2 and aspirin, but without any improvement.

What supplement can I add for my hair health?
Would it make sense to take progesterone?

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

What is the state of your tonsils?
Good, no problem. I have a hard time breathing well after SSRIs. I always have a stuffy nose and I have to use an Oxymetazoline spray every three hours to open it, otherwise I can breathe badly or through my mouth. This certainly affects my whole body, including my hair.

Stopping hairloss is easy but regrowing is hard.
High calcium and keeping well fed is enough for me to have no hair loss. I had to wipe my desk several times 2 years ago because I was losing so much

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

High calcium and keeping well fed is enough for me to have no hair loss. I had to wipe my desk several times 2 years ago because I was losing so much
You're right, it's complicated. Do you think that taking calcium alone can help my hair loss? For me, thyroid decompensation due to high serotonin (I have already tried cypro and metergoline for this, without success) is too heavy and the intake of calcium and nutrition will not be enough to stop it.

Jinzo

What is the state of your tonsils?
What do the tonsils have to do with hair loss you think? I had a tonsillectomy and have hair loss. Though not sure if it started before that

Jonnie

Like Riesensackteil mentioned; keeping well fed and often calcium is low.

So basically making sure you get adequate nourishment and reduce stressors as much as possible.
There are the basic supplementary foods you probably already know of but some adjustments will depend on the individual.

Some supplements I use are progest-E, tyromax, aspirin and a few other things.
Recently I experimented with 2mg of testosterone base and my hair hasn’t been that beautiful and strong in years, I was amazed.

What you basically want to try to do is get your gut clean, your metabolism up and hormonal profile optimized as much as possible until you no longer degenerate to the degree that you lose hair.

How you do that is partly individual depending on your physiological state and might require a drastic overhaul of how you live.

Last edited:

miquelangeles

Topical onion juice and/or garlic might work. There are different variations, either raw juice, boiled whole onions, boiled dry onion peels (which have no odour at all), raw garlic with honey, garlic with coconut oil etc. Many anecdotes if you search online and also supported by quite a few studies.

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

Like Riesensackteil mentioned; keeping well fed and often calcium is low.

So basically making sure you get adequate nourishment and reduce stressors as much as possible.
There are the basic supplementary foods you probably already know of but some adjustments will depend on the individual.

Some supplements I use are progest-E, tyromax, aspirin and a few other things.
Recently I experimented with 2mg of testosterone base and my hair hasn’t been that beautiful and strong in years, I was amazed.

What you basically want to try to do is get your gut clean, your metabolism up and hormonal profile optimized as much as possible until you no longer degenerate to the degree that you lose hair.

How you do that is partly individual depending on your physiological state and might require a drastic overhaul of how you live.
So could low-dose progesterone help both thyroid and hair?

It was something I always wanted to try, but I was scared because I read some studies that increase serotonin, others that decrease it.

Also SSRIs are supposed to leave the body in a high AlloPregnenolone state, so I don't know if taking progesterone would be good, what do you think about it?

Vins7

S
So, consuming enough calcium with dairy products fixed the hair loss problem?
Why other dietary change did you make? If you did it

Jonnie

So could low-dose progesterone help both thyroid and hair?

It was something I always wanted to try, but I was scared because I read some studies that increase serotonin, others that decrease it.

Also SSRIs are supposed to leave the body in a high AlloPregnenolone state, so I don't know if taking progesterone would be good, what do you think about it?
I think under “normal” circumstances progesterone can be beneficial for thyroid and hair as it can potentially lower cortisol.

I was also quite hesitant on tinkering with these kinds of hormonal substances but I feel better than before I started so it turned out okay.

I try to remind myself that we’re already bombarded with hormone disruptive chemicals on the daily.

You can try it out on top of a good food/rest regimen and see how it goes, the stuff won’t kill you (I prefer progest-E).

If you feel like you got an adequate food regimen going why not just add NDT on top?

You're right, it's complicated. Do you think that taking calcium alone can help my hair loss? For me, thyroid decompensation due to high serotonin (I have already tried cypro and metergoline for this, without success) is too heavy and the intake of calcium and nutrition will not be enough to stop it.
Maybe keep at the basics. Eating plenty of good food, high calcium, high sodium and high protein. Maybe some fiber here and there like oat bran or carrot salad.
I do not know how your diet looks like but I have overlooked sodium everytime until recently. I am on a diet with a lot of liquids, so the effects on water of sodium and also it lowering prolactin, aldosterone and adrenaline are apparent to me. I am a male and incidentally my flaccid size is always bigger when I take anti-prolactin drugs like cabergoline and sodium does the same somehow. For comparsion, high vitamin E did not do that despite a study claiming that it could have a huge effect.

Measuring Aldosterone in the blood may not represent the actual presence around the tissues but trying to keep it at a minimum might mean that you are leveraging a certain enzyme (or receptor/protein even) called NaKATPase. Aldosterone almost exclusively blocks it but sodium can block aldosterone as easily as calcium can block PTH. It takes some time but eventually it can be read even in various tests. I think I saw a study where 2600mg daily sodium in males were enough to suppress aldosterone by quite a margin.

Travis also made some posts on spironolactone, too. Worth looking up

FitnessMike

Even when you lost hair in one temple due to hypo? It was always itching me there from stress

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

I think under “normal” circumstances progesterone can be beneficial for thyroid and hair as it can potentially lower cortisol.

I was also quite hesitant on tinkering with these kinds of hormonal substances but I feel better than before I started so it turned out okay.

I try to remind myself that we’re already bombarded with hormone disruptive chemicals on the daily.

You can try it out on top of a good food/rest regimen and see how it goes, the stuff won’t kill you (I prefer progest-E).

If you feel like you got an adequate food regimen going why not just add NDT on top?
I might try progesterone, although I'm afraid I have high allopregnenolone from SSRIs.

Jonnie

I might try progesterone, although I'm afraid I have high allopregnenolone from SSRIs.
Yeah you should probably figure that out first.

Please do let me know the answer as I put my mom on progesterone and she has a history off SSRIs too..

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

Yeah you should probably figure that out first.

Please do let me know the answer as I put my mom on progesterone and she has a history off SSRIs too..
I just bought haidut's progestene. As soon as the experimentation comes, I'll let you know brother!

Hi everyone, 32 year old male.

I have hair loss after taking SSRIs. I have given up on SSRIs, but I believe I am still high serotonin (I have used cyprus in the past, without success).

I also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which I treat with T3 and T4.

What can I do to improve the health of my hair? I already take vitamin D + K2 and aspirin, but without any improvement.

What supplement can I add for my hair health?
Would it make sense to take progesterone?
I would suggest stinging nettle. It is good for hair growth and restoring hair's natural color.

OP
Cfgalak

Cfgalak

Just 3 days have passed since taking 20mg of oral (sublingual) progesterone (Haidut's progestene), I don't notice any particular changes in my body, maybe I wake up a little more rested, but nothing more. Libido remained as before, hair loss the same. Surely it will still be early to see results, but so far zero sensation and I thought that progesterone could have an impact right away.