Best tolerated Sugar for SIBO/Candida Patients

Andy316

I have SIBO and perhaps candida issues due to being hypothyroid. This may be why I can't tolerate sugars and artificial sweeteners. I get extreme stomach bloat, back pain, scalp itch and diarrhea(from artificial sweeteners) . I have tried white and brown sugar, honey, agave, maple, stevia, xylitol, monk fruit but no luck. Any suggestions for sugars that people with Sibo, candida have tolerated well? Thanks

Jennifer

I have SIBO and perhaps candida issues due to being hypothyroid. This may be why I can't tolerate sugars and artificial sweeteners. I get extreme stomach bloat, back pain, scalp itch and diarrhea(from artificial sweeteners) . I have tried white and brown sugar, honey, agave, maple, stevia, xylitol, monk fruit but no luck. Any suggestions for sugars that people with Sibo, candida have tolerated well? Thanks

I had SIBO for roughly 7 years due to a misdiagnosis and surprisingly, lactose is the only sugar I have never had a problem with. I had a problem with the bacteria in raw and cultured dairy when I had SIBO, but not the lactose.

OP
A

Andy316

I had SIBO for roughly 7 years due to a misdiagnosis and surprisingly, lactose is the only sugar I have never had a problem with. I had a problem with the bacteria in raw and cultured dairy when I had SIBO, but not the lactose.
Do you tolerate normal white sugar Jennifer?

Jennifer

@Andy316, I do now but when I had the overgrowth, I experienced brain fog, bloating and a white coating on my tongue with white sugar.

Jonk

Also might help eating it as a complete meal. Fat helps delay gastric emptying and stimulates bile. E.g. sugar or honey in your sauces and stews

Peachy

My husband is dealing with SIBO/Candida and he does best with gf starch, and a little yogurt, some whole fruit. For the most part he avoids gluten, sweeteners and juice. Seems to be working well for him. But I think the way each individual tolerates various carbs is so different.

When he takes sweeteners in very small amounts he does ok with them. Maybe that’s an option?

OP
A

Andy316

Also might help eating it as a complete meal. Fat helps delay gastric emptying and stimulates bile. E.g. sugar or honey in your sauces and stews
Ya having sugar with a complete meal lessens the symptoms somewhat, but I was wandering if there is a type of sugar which when consumed gave no bad symptoms to people with sibo/candida.

OP
A

Andy316

My husband is dealing with SIBO/Candida and he does best with gf starch, and a little yogurt, some whole fruit. For the most part he avoids gluten, sweeteners and juice. Seems to be working well for him. But I think the way each individual tolerates various carbs is so different.

When he takes sweeteners in very small amounts he does ok with them. Maybe that’s an option?
Ya the only starch I do 'ok' on is white rice but only in small amounts. Fruit pectin is an issue for me so I only eat occasionally few blueberries. Which sweetener does your husband take?

I

i_nomad

Artificial sweeteners are best avoided, regardless of conditions.

Jennifer

@Andy316, are you currently taking thyroid to treat your hypothyroidism?

GTW

Stevia itself may not be problematic. It's so sweet that powder and liquid often contain inulin or fillers. A teaspoon of dried stevia leaf in cooking, tea, warm water delivers a lot of sweet flavor without baggage.
I looked at a bag of monkfruit. Ingredients included erythritol, FFS! I react badly to it. Teaspoon of pure xylitol is OK for me.

Jennifer

@Andy316, I understand your concern. Have you made progress via the natural route?

OP
A

Andy316

Stevia itself may not be problematic. It's so sweet that powder and liquid often contain inulin or fillers. A teaspoon of dried stevia leaf in cooking, tea, warm water delivers a lot of sweet flavor without baggage.
I looked at a bag of monkfruit. Ingredients included erythritol, FFS! I react badly to it. Teaspoon of pure xylitol is OK for me.
Agree 100% pure stevia is very hard to find and perhaps very costly too. I trialed stevia with inulin once and the bloating and brain fog was severe. Bigger nightmare was xylitol, instant diarrhea.

OP
A

Andy316

@Andy316, I understand your concern. Have you made progress via the natural route?
@Jennifer yes, but its a lot of neverending lifestyle management and sacrifice. Giving up dairy, fruits, almost all grains and starchy foods, supplements, every meal in moderation and well cooked(nothing raw or bbq'd/grilled). I feel 75% better now than how I did back then but still can't figure out the root cause of this condition.

Peachy

Ya the only starch I do 'ok' on is white rice but only in small amounts. Fruit pectin is an issue for me so I only eat occasionally few blueberries. Which sweetener does your husband take?
He eats a sweetened yogurt many days (cane sugar) and a bite of ice cream here or there without issues.

Can you tolerate any varieties of juice?

It's a hard cycle: hypothyroidism-gut issues-having to avoid sugar-hypothyroidism... Maybe adding in small amounts of sugars while directly addressing the thyroid, plus experimenting with antimicrobials/fungals.

Cooper

Take Rifaximin for 2 weeks, 1500mg a day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals