Best timing for thyroid medication?

FitnessMike

As above, in your opinion, what is the best timing/dosing of the thyroid medication?

I know Ray Peat promotes taking small doses of t3 thru the day and use t3+t4 before bed.

I thought that taking thyroid meds should be done in relation to symptoms/temperature etc improvement, but then I came across one of the recent posts mentioning CT3M, and it makes sense to try to supplement thyroid to resemble healthy person hormones rhythm.

mostlylurking

As above, in your opinion, what is the best timing/dosing of the thyroid medication?

I know Ray Peat promotes taking small doses of t3 thru the day and use t3+t4 before bed.

I thought that taking thyroid meds should be done in relation to symptoms/temperature etc improvement, but then I came across one of the recent posts mentioning CT3M, and it makes sense to try to supplement thyroid to resemble healthy person hormones rhythm.
I tried the small doses throughout the day but that did not work for me. I get the most benefit by taking my natural desiccated thyroid med at one time when I first get up and do NOT have any calcium food (like milk) for at least an hour. For me, calcium knocks out any benefit from the thyroid med, which makes having little bits throughout the day counterproductive because I consume a lot of dairy.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I tried the small doses throughout the day but that did not work for me. I get the most benefit by taking my natural desiccated thyroid med at one time when I first get up and do NOT have any calcium food (like milk) for at least an hour. For me, calcium knocks out any benefit from the thyroid med, which makes having little bits throughout the day counterproductive because I consume a lot of dairy.

1612444994156.png

But according to this, you need t3 at night, as this is the pattern of the healthy person, did you try NDT before bed?. When i take t3 containing med in the morning it slowls me big time due to cortisol decreasing effect, but then my adrenal reserve is low, i wonder how much slower t3 from NDT is absorbed and how long it take to peak in the body compering to synthetic t3+t4.

I would love to know since we know how the patterns look in peoples with a healthy thyroid, why all peoples don't try to imitate natural patterns t3 patterns?

livesimply

View attachment 21530

But according to this, you need t3 at night, as this is the pattern of the healthy person, did you try NDT before bed?. When i take t3 containing med in the morning it slowls me big time due to cortisol decreasing effect, but then my adrenal reserve is low, i wonder how much slower t3 from NDT is absorbed and how long it take to peak in the body compering to synthetic t3+t4.

I would love to know since we know how the patterns look in peoples with a healthy thyroid, why all peoples don't try to imitate natural patterns t3 patterns?
About seven years ago I asked Ray Peat about adding in some T4 at bedtime (I was on a T3-only regimen). He wrote back: I think a little thyroxine at bedtime is good, for reducing the nocturnal TSH rise, and it would probably reduce your need for T3.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

About seven years ago I asked Ray Peat about adding in some T4 at bedtime (I was on a T3-only regimen). He wrote back: I think a little thyroxine at bedtime is good, for reducing the nocturnal TSH rise, and it would probably reduce your need for T3.
According to the scheme below, taking t4 at night raised ft3 very little, not even close to the pattern of a healthy person from the above scheme. I Dont know if Dr Peat ever consider that we need highest ft3 levels at night. Based on above scheme, best wau to resemble natural production of ft3 would be to take meds with t3 before bed and then at night like CT3M method suggest, and t4 timing isnt really relevant as it barely fluctuate? CT3M makes loats of sense to me.
1612448960829.png

livesimply

According to the scheme below, taking t4 at night raised ft3 very little, not even close to the pattern of a healthy person from the above scheme. I Dont know if Dr Peat ever consider that we need highest ft3 levels at night. Based on above scheme, best wau to resemble natural production of ft3 would be to take meds with t3 before bed and then at night like CT3M method suggest, and t4 timing isnt really relevant as it barely fluctuate? CT3M makes loats of sense to me.
View attachment 21542
Then I guess that's what you should follow.

Gungnir

What is the biology behind avoiding calcium? Does CA interfere with thyroid?

mostlylurking

View attachment 21530

Well, I take mine in the morning, no calcium foods for at least an hour. I have milk with gelatin and a 12oz cup of coffee then. My energy level is normally good in the afternoon, no need for any more coffee. I'm sleeping well. However, if I eat something that upsets my gut or if I take too much magnesium (results in diarrhea), then I wake up about 2:00AM and must drink a glass of sugared milk to get back to sleep. 90% of the time my sleep is very good.

mostlylurking

What is the biology behind avoiding calcium? Does CA interfere with thyroid?
I was having a terrible time with exhaustion in the morning and went searching for answers regarding what blocks thyroid medication. Here's one: Hypothyroidism: Can calcium supplements interfere with treatment?

here's a quote: "Take any products containing calcium at least four hours before or after taking thyroid hormone replacement."

I drink a lot of milk, dairy is my major protein source. There's no way that I can follow the four hour rule this article promotes. I found that an hour works fine for me.

It is much easier to find articles written about what blocks levothyroxine than what blocks desiccated thyroid. I decided to change my pattern and space my milk an hour later after having the thyroid med. This solved my problem.

G1986

Forum Supporter

View attachment 21530

I just wanted to point out that there is very little difference between the peak and trough

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals