Best Time Of The Day To Workout?

T

TheBeard

I used to have a routine of going to the gym at around 7pm and have dinner after.
I was pretty swole at that time.

It’s been 2 years that I shifted to first thing in the morning workout (after some fruit).

I’ve since lost 5kg of muscle, still same fat %.

Could the timing be the reason why I’m not getting as much results?

It seems indeed harder to lift weights first thing in the morning.

Anyone noticed a difference based on timing?

Sup buddy,
From what you mentioned, while lifting at 7pm you probably had a lot of available amino acids/glycogen to help muscle building/repair process.
However, you only have fruits before 7am workout. No amino acids in blood.
Perhaps try and adjust your pre/intra/post workout nutrition.

cyclops

Maybe it's because you can't lift as much weight in the morning?

Literally

Wish I could cite sources, but what I'm memorized after reading a bunch about circadian rhythms is:
* First thing in the morning is indeed a poor time to work out from a hormonal perspective.
* Strength is highest about 3-4 hours after waking up and again 11-12 hours after waking up.
This could all be different if your circadian rhythms are off. But exercising can help entrain circadian rhythms. Some research points to late afternoon being best for this, and late morning / early evening being okay, but early morning / late night being potentially off putting.

OP
T

TheBeard

Wish I could cite sources, but what I'm memorized after reading a bunch about circadian rhythms is:
* First thing in the morning is indeed a poor time to work out from a hormonal perspective.
* Strength is highest about 3-4 hours after waking up and again 11-12 hours after waking up.
This could all be different if your circadian rhythms are off. But exercising can help entrain circadian rhythms. Some research points to late afternoon being best for this, and late morning / early evening being okay, but early morning / late night being potentially off putting.

Very useful! Thank you

Cirion

Best time, in my opinion based upon what I've read and also experienced myself, is somewhere in the 9 am to 4 pm timeframe. This is because in most places, there will be sunlight during 9 am to 4 pm time frame even in winter. The body was designed to only be active when the sun is out. It is unnatural to be active after the sun sets as it throws off the circadian cycle, and so working out later than 4pm can easily interrupt your sleep. Also don't recommend working out fasted, best to workout after breakfast and around 9 am (but most people can't do this due to work). probably best to aim for 3-4 pm... if your work is flexible to allow you finishing work by then.

olive

When I used to work out I’d fast throughout the morning, work out fasted around 2PM then immediately eat 2000+ calories of protein and carbs. Two hours later I’d eat a meal of protein and fats, then go back to fasting until the afternoon workout the next day. The idea of fasting is to get a large insulin spike post workout to shuttle more glycogen into the muscle. I was getting stronger by the day.

Cirion

Don't think working out fasted is great for people with sub-optimal hormone levels. I tried that back in the day, did not work well for me. I ended up crashing HARD after breaking the fast, and un-able to function at work afterwards.

Judging from your avatar pic, you're lean & likely in a good hormonal environment... which many of us (myself included) are not currently

olive

Don't think working out fasted is great for people with sub-optimal hormone levels. I tried that back in the day, did not work well for me. I ended up crashing HARD after breaking the fast, and un-able to function at work afterwards.

Judging from your avatar pic, you're lean & likely in a good hormonal environment... which many of us (myself included) are not currently
Yeah I’ve talked about this before. Fasting should only be considered in optimal health. Low cortisol, low adipose tissue, good liver health, high glycogen storage, etc.

DavidGardner

Cortisol is typically higher in the morning, and resistance training also raises cortisol. Too much cortisol is deleterious to muscle growth/maintenance. I would suggest eating more carbs pre- and post-workout to mitigate cortisol. Or better still, work out in the evening again if possible.

Cirion

Yeah I’ve talked about this before. Fasting should only be considered in optimal health. Low cortisol, low adipose tissue, good liver health, high glycogen storage, etc.
Fair enough--Just making sure :)

wanted to make sure OP realized that the "optimal" time to workout depends on current state of health

Health not optimal? Best time to workout probably around middle of the day when sun is still out
Health optimal? Best time possibly per your suggestion

Hans

Forum Supporter
When I used to work out I’d fast throughout the morning, work out fasted around 2PM then immediately eat 2000+ calories of protein and carbs. Two hours later I’d eat a meal of protein and fats, then go back to fasting until the afternoon workout the next day. The idea of fasting is to get a large insulin spike post workout to shuttle more glycogen into the muscle. I was getting stronger by the day.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you weigh then?
Exercise blunts post-workout insulin spike and also, the spike you get from insulin naturally doesn't enhance your gains. It only works with supraphysiological doses of exogenous insulin.
Yes maybe you get a supercompensation effect, but what does that help?
What matters is being insulin sensitive...that promotes hypertrophy.
Fasting for so long promotes lipolysis and causes insulin resistance. The only reason you actually stay lean by eating and training like that is because your muscles is taking up glucose in a insulin independent manner. That's why martin berkhan and the guy from carb backloading, and many others, stay lean, is because they only eat carbs after workout.
Not a healthy approach if you ask me.

Cirion

Exercise blunts post-workout insulin spike and also, the spike you get from insulin naturally doesn't enhance your gains. It only works with supraphysiological doses of exogenous insulin.
Fasting for so long promotes lipolysis and causes insulin resistance. The only reason you actually stay lean by eating and training like that is because your muscles is taking up glucose in a insulin independent manner. That's why martin berkhan and the guy from carb backloading, and many others, stay lean, is because they only eat carbs after workout.

So you would say that even in a healthy person, training fasted is to be avoided? What's your stance in fasting overall?

I pretty much agree with you though, but I do see that some healthier people get away with some fasting without perceived negative effects...

Hans

Forum Supporter
So you would say that even in a healthy person, training fasted is to be avoided? What's your stance in fasting overall?

I pretty much agree with you though, but I do see that some healthier people get away with some fasting without perceived negative effects...
Peat did mention that someone with good thyroid function and glycogen stores can go without food for 12 or so hours. But that is when the body isn't stressed. Stressing it, mentally or physically, will deplete the glycogen stores rapidly. If your resilience bucket it full metaphorically speaking, you can bounce back easily, but it also depends on the duration and intensity of the stressor which determines how well the body bounces back. Some people have a blunted ability to recover from stress after the stress has stopped. Providing carbs might help yes. So I guess if a person is healthy and resilient to stress, going without food for 12 or so hours won't be too bad.

But in regards to training fasted, I think it's a bad idea as that is highly catabolic, because training is stressful and then the stress of being fasted is just too much. If the body isn't receiving any additional exogenous help, if you know what I mean, the stress will drain your resiliency bucket until you crash. Maybe some people can maintain it to a degree, stay lean, but really struggle to build muscle past a certain point.

Everyone can do what they want, but I surely will not as that is far from optimal for metabolic health.

olive

84kg at 5’7 - not sure about body fat % but had visible veins all over body apart from chest and lower back. Running 500mg deca solo.

I’d beg to differ.
There’s zero difference between exogenous and endogenous insulin.

The small increase in insulin resistance shown in some studies is negated by lowered basal insulin and increased androgen receptor density/sensitivity caused by the fast.

Cirion

My personal opinion from what I've seen is that there can be some merit to protein and/or fat fasting for up to 12-16 hrs possibly. Not full caloric restriction though.

I really don't see how fasting from carbohydrates can bring any benefits personally. Protein and fat avoidance has its merits though.

As Hans hinted, there is no way that your glucose stores can survive not only 12 hrs of fasting but training on top of that. And once glucose runs out = massive stressor.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I’d beg to differ.
There’s zero difference between exogenous and endogenous insulin.
Saying that is like saying there is no difference in endogenous or exogenous testosterone.
Bodybuilders specifically use insulin to promote muscle growth.

David90

I used to have a routine of going to the gym at around 7pm and have dinner after.
I was pretty swole at that time.

It’s been 2 years that I shifted to first thing in the morning workout (after some fruit).

I’ve since lost 5kg of muscle, still same fat %.

Could the timing be the reason why I’m not getting as much results?

It seems indeed harder to lift weights first thing in the morning.

Anyone noticed a difference based on timing?

I find (Personally) the Best Time to Workout is in the Forenoon (after 10 am) and in the Evening (after 5 pm). Reason due to ''Circadian Rhythm'' and the ''Body Warmed Up''. But that's just my Two Cents....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals