Best Time Of The Day To Take Thyroid?

TeaRex14

I have a love/hate relationship with thyroid. On one hand it generally makes me feel better, on the other it can sometimes (a lot times) interfere with my sleep. Within the past two years I've noticed that I really don't even need thyroid during the summer. Good nutrition and lots of sunlight exposure keeps my metabolism high. I honestly think a lot of people's "need" for thyroid is probably just a sunlight deficiency, at least that was the case for me. However I'm thinking about using thyroid throughout the winter months, just to help me out some. I'm wondering if there's a particular dosage schedule I can implement that maybe won't mess with my sleep. In the past I've just taken 2.5 grains in the mourning first thing, usually either with juice or sugared coffee. But I've actually read where a few people take it in the evening, I'm wondering if there's something to this. As far as I can see I haven't stumble upon any of Ray's writings talking about when the best time to take thyroid is. I also use the natural stuff, that has both T4/T3 in it case anyone is wondering.

OP
T

TeaRex14

No opinions about when to take thyroid? Does anyone know if Ray has ever commented about when to take thyroid?

aguilaroja

In the past I've just taken 2.5 grains in the mourning first thing...when the best time to take thyroid is....

Dr. Peat has discussed this repeatedly, and over many years. I am not especially promoting NDT. But if using NDT, since NDT has a fair amount of T3, the way to spread out T3 intake during the day is to separate the total amount into multiple portions throughout the day.

Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
"Since T3 has a short half life, it should be taken frequently. If the liver isn't producing a noticeable amount of T3, it is usually helpful to take a few micrograms per hour. Since it restores respiration and metabolic efficiency very quickly, it isn't usually necessary to take it every hour or two, but until normal temperature and pulse have been achieved and stabilized, sometimes it's necessary to take it four or more times during the day."

OP
T

TeaRex14

Isn't he referring to synthetic only T3 in that article though?

Hi Tex, I personally don't really have experience with thyroid yet, but your questions reminded me of some interviews Ray Peat did.

Ray Peat
"Q: I’m sorry. I have insomnia so I can't fall asleep until 6:00 in the morning.
Dr. Ray Peat: For falling asleep, sometimes very small dose of thyroid. One doctor who had been awake for two or three days absolutely awake, I gave him 10 micrograms of Cytomel and the next day he said that stuff is better than morphine. Q: I’ve been taking Cynoplus and they worked the first day and then the effects wore off.
Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, the sugar is the next best thing. I use a glass of sugar with maybe two or three tablespoons, a glass of warm milk and three tablespoons of sugar dissolved in it will usually have an effect similar to the thyroid."​

Also, are you taking your thyroid supplementation with food? I wonder if that could affect your response in the evening. Here is a quote about thyroid taken with food resulting in a steady absorption from the same interview as above:

Q: Is there a dose that some people find that works really well like are people using 30 micrograms or 60?
Dr. Ray Peat: Well, the body only producers four micrograms per hour typically, and so whenever you take more than that, if you're going to take 10 micrograms, it’s good to have with food so you don't absorb so much that your body experiences the excess. It's good to supplement in something like two micrograms per hour on average, so 10 micrograms with lunch will spread out for a few hours as you digest.​

In another interview, he makes a similar comment about taking thyroid with food:
"But if you take your 10 micrograms with a meal, the food is going to delay its absorption so you get maybe two or 3 micrograms each hour and so 10 with each meal is pretty smooth way to take it."​
Ray Peat

EDIT: In this thread, it is mentioned taking it 3-4 hours before sleep: Best Way To Include Thyroid Meds In Diet

Last edited:
OP
T

TeaRex14

Thanks for links, this is stuff I haven't came across before.