Best Time In Morning For Producing Highest TSH?

Connor888

I have a home blood testing kit, just wondering though, if I want to catch my TSH at its highest, would I be better to do it very early morning say between 6-7am or would it be best done at 8-10 am? or does a few hours not make that much of a difference ?

Ras

I have a home blood testing kit, just wondering though, if I want to catch my TSH at its highest, would I be better to do it very early morning say between 6-7am or would it be best done at 8-10 am? or does a few hours not make that much of a difference ?
If you just want a high result, take a bunch of iodine.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

If you just want a high result, take a bunch of iodine.

Well i want a high result but without taking in anything from the outside so i know its accurate. Thanks though mate

Nicole W.

Why do you want high TSH lab value?

It seems like everyone here missed the point of your question.

Normally, where I live, the earliest time in the morning that the labs open is around 7 AM so most of my readings throughout the years have been between 7:10 to 7:30 - I've had values between 1.97 all the way up to 8 (my thyroid function varied a lot throughout the years). I'm assuming that the reference lab range is calibrated to represent values one could normally obtain during normal working hours (with the recommendation to take the reading as early as possible).

However, some studies suggest that the peak of TSH secretion occurs around midnight, see here:

[PDF] Free triiodothyronine has a distinct circadian rhythm that is delayed but parallels thyrotropin levels. | Semantic Scholar

So, assuming you wanted to know "how bad it really gets", it seems between midnight and 3 AM would be the right time to take the reading. Whether you influence it by being awake vs. asleep at that time is perhaps another question.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

It seems like everyone here missed the point of your question.

Normally, where I live, the earliest time in the morning that the labs open is around 7 AM so most of my readings throughout the years have been between 7:10 to 7:30 - I've had values between 1.97 all the way up to 8 (my thyroid function varied a lot throughout the years). I'm assuming that the reference lab range is calibrated to represent values one could normally obtain during normal working hours (with the recommendation to take the reading as early as possible).

However, some studies suggest that the peak of TSH secretion occurs around midnight, see here:

[PDF] Free triiodothyronine has a distinct circadian rhythm that is delayed but parallels thyrotropin levels. | Semantic Scholar

So, assuming you wanted to know "how bad it really gets", it seems between midnight and 3 AM would be the right time to take the reading. Whether you influence it by being awake vs. asleep at that time is perhaps another question.

Yeah you're right. Suppose I should have specified in the thread. I ended up doing it just now, at 07:00am, hopefully that gives me an accurate result

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Why do you want high TSH lab value?

There are studies to say that blood tests done later on in the day can sometimes miss out on diagnosing someone; as blood TSH* levels decline significantly after morning. I just wanted to take a blood sample that would guarantee my thyroid hormone levels as close to their highest as possible :)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals