best e ink display? low emf and easy on the eyes.

pro marker

my eyes are getting more and more tired from all the screen time and even with a blue light filter on i cant read on a screen anymore. im looking for a kindle type of device to read books on as ALL the libraries are closed (thank god - lets beat this together!!!)
first of all- from my understanding these devices do not use actual lights or pixels, but they still have blue light coming in from the sides? can a blue light filter be used with these? is it possible to attach a blue light blocking see through screen on top of the display? i would preferably like a model without wifi, touch screen etc... the more barebones the better, as that should atleast from my limited emf knowledge, mean less emf. is such a thing even sold anymore? and if it has wifi, then tit must be possible to disable the wifi. ive seen several posts here on kindles so i figured it could ask here.

also - any good recommendations for entry level books on the stock market and investment?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
E-ink paper displays use ambient light. So whatever light comes from your light bulbs in the house is what will come off the display. Some displays, however, are front illuminated. But that you probably can turn off.

OP
P

pro marker

E-ink paper displays use ambient light. So whatever light comes from your light bulbs in the house is what will come off the display. Some displays, however, are front illuminated. But that you probably can turn off.
have you used any?

MaxVerstappen

If you want an alternative to reading books on pdf's/ebook you should do what i do. Just print them.

1. Download free books on pdf from library genesis
2. Learn bookbinding (its very easy)
3. Print your books

Step 3 might seem expensive due to the cost of ink, but i manage to spend around 5 dollars for the equivalent of 30 ink cartridges. You can buy 100 ml bottles of ink on ebay.

I got a printer for free, and just needed to buy ink. You need to be able to reset the cartridge, so you need to either a) buy a refillable ink cartridge (you can find it on ebay) or b) buy an ink cartridge resetter. Some printers you just need to reset in order for it to work.

Printing a 200 page book costs about 50 cent in ink + paper.

If you want an alternative to reading books on pdf's/ebook you should do what i do. Just print them.

1. Download free books on pdf from library genesis
2. Learn bookbinding (its very easy)
3. Print your books

Step 3 might seem expensive due to the cost of ink, but i manage to spend around 5 dollars for the equivalent of 30 ink cartridges. You can buy 100 ml bottles of ink on ebay.

I got a printer for free, and just needed to buy ink. You need to be able to reset the cartridge, so you need to either a) buy a refillable ink cartridge (you can find it on ebay) or b) buy an ink cartridge resetter. Some printers you just need to reset in order for it to work.

Printing a 200 page book costs about 50 cent in ink + paper.
If you want to save money you can also download the application Calibre on your Mac/PC to convert ePub files from Library genesis onto your kindle, but creating your own books does sound most optimal healthwise

You can also download the application Calibre on your Mac/PC to convert ePub files from Library genesis onto your kindle
my eyes are getting more and more tired from all the screen time and even with a blue light filter on i cant read on a screen anymore. im looking for a kindle type of device to read books on as ALL the libraries are closed (thank god - lets beat this together!!!)
first of all- from my understanding these devices do not use actual lights or pixels, but they still have blue light coming in from the sides? can a blue light filter be used with these? is it possible to attach a blue light blocking see through screen on top of the display? i would preferably like a model without wifi, touch screen etc... the more barebones the better, as that should atleast from my limited emf knowledge, mean less emf. is such a thing even sold anymore? and if it has wifi, then tit must be possible to disable the wifi. ive seen several posts here on kindles so i figured it could ask here.

also - any good recommendations for entry level books on the stock market and investment?
Im pretty positive the kindles come with an option to turn off the blue light and leave just the e-ink. The new kindle oasis is great, and it also included airplane mode and you can change the blue light to a more amber tone

StephanF

Forum Supporter
have you used any?
I have an e-ink Kindle but haven't used it for years...

I was interested in building a tri-color e-ink tablet for industrial applications, since the normal LED displays have a lot of glare in the sunlight. But it was too time and money consuming...

There was also another technology, which was based on light interference to generate colors, similar to how butterflies produce colorful wings: The 'Mirasol' display, it was bought by Qualcomm but its development unfortunately didn't make it to the market (and I am really, really sad about that):

Maybe in the far, far future, in a galaxy far, far away, this technology will be used...

There are some black & white e-ink writing tablets out there, I think Sony has one but I am not sure if you can use it to browse the Internet, for example. You need to do your own research, it has been a couple of years when I looked into it. You can start here, there seems to be one e-ink tablet that lets you browse the Internet:

OP
P

pro marker

Im pretty positive the kindles come with an option to turn off the blue light and leave just the e-ink. The new kindle oasis is great, and it also included airplane mode and you can change the blue light to a more amber tone
but how effective is the airplane mode vs no wifi at all? i dont trust it.

Old Irenaeus

I have the ReMarkable and like it. Home | reMarkable I purchased the older version, refurbished. It is not back lit and has airplane mode. It works very well with PDFs but does not handle .epud files as well.

Tabrid

Kobo Libra H2O (Budget one, almost good as Oasis, in about 4 in 10 devices comes with screen lighting consistency issues) and Kindle Oasis. They both have warm light settings, zero light if you want to read in sun etc, front lighting, airplane mode etc. Definitely safe, I wouldn't worry about e book readers if I were you. They're by far the safest devices.

RealNeat

I'm a big fan of those devices and use them regularly. I find them at pawn shops and goodwill stores along with other thrifting locations. The older simpler ones are best.

somuch4food

I have an Onyx boox. It comes with Android and I have access to google play store. It's pretty good and you can use a browser on it. The wifi can be disabled, but I don't know about EMF.

This type of display has its drawbacks, it's not as fluid, but it's much easier on the eyes.

mrchibbs

I have an Onyx Boox Note too, I keep it WIFI disabled all the time though and use the usb cable to transfer the books.

gaze

- the only investment guide you'll ever need by Andrew Tobias
- one up on wall street by peter lynch

for more technical and slightly more advanced:
- the intelligent investor by Ben Graham

Tabrid

Warning: Onyx Boox tablets have some possible issues about being not actually open and having possible backdoors for Chinese government.