Best bitters for digestion and how to find out what kind of digestion support I need ?

Motif

How do I know if it’s bile that’s missing or encymes or stomach acid and how much to take of the supplements?

should bitters be taken before the meal, while eating or after ?

are they improving stomach acid too or just bile?

Inaut

How do I know if it’s bile that’s missing or encymes or stomach acid and how much to take of the supplements?

should bitters be taken before the meal, while eating or after ?

are they improving stomach acid too or just bile?
Typically you would take bitters a little bit before your meal but I don’t think it really matters. Culturally, many take bitters at the end of a meal though (digestif)

OP
M

Motif

Typically you would take bitters a little bit before your meal but I don’t think it really matters. Culturally, many take bitters at the end of a meal though (digestif)
Thanks!

Ben.

i tried both before or after meals. For me, i came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter much, they are helpfull generally and i take them whenever i remember that i have them.

OP
M

Motif

Thanks!

Your opinion on taking them more often than the bottle recommends?

i have a German Brand „iberogast“ and it says 3x daily 30 drops in some fluid.
And how much is „some fluid“ and is it really important ?

Ben.

To be honest i only have taken it more often than recommend for like a week. The effect might be stronger but mine had alcohol in it and i felt like my body responded intuitively realy quickly that it is to much, after all we are not used to bitters nowadays anymore.

I also see it more as an aid not as a product that solves an issue.

Dont realy know that brand. If it does not feel well with you, you might want to try a product that does not contain alcohol or one with different bitters.
As with many things, like food or supplements, not every plant or herb or their combination works the same for everybody.

And most often it is hard enough to take it consistently so i would just try to do it 2-3 times a day for a week, not obsessing wether you take the perfect amounts, just when ever you can.

From what i know it mainly helps in bile secretion. For stomache acid increase people usually take a supplement like pork-derived pepsin or plant ( i think beet) derived Betaine hcl.

I'd say just try it and see how it feels. Unlike vitamin/mineral supplements where you can realy trowh urself out of balance, bitters shouldn't need as much caution. You can start slowly with only a few drops if you want to be on the safer side.

Well i would drink some water with it. Imo it does not have to be much. Since your using it before/after eating i wouldn't realy add to much fluid to the stomache that is already filled with solids. 1-2 enjoyable sips of water or something.

Ben.

If there is to much food waste visible in the stool it can be an indication of lacking enzymes or stomach acid.
Heartburn or in german called "sodbrennen" is also an indication for to much or to little stomach acid.

There are also some tests but idk how well they work (something with drinking lemon juice with water and see how long it takes to burp - you should google it i can't remember how they are called or work right now).

Enzyme, HCL and probiotics are all helpful supplements but unless they help you to absorb/assimilate nutrients and get you out of a vicious cycle ... they may just be a bandaid and not a cure. Thiamin deficiency, gut dysbiosis, parasites, emotional stress, hormonal issues etc. are points that are most likely causative for digestive issues.

I found this one interesting for example:

OP
M

Motif

If there is to much food waste visible in the stool it can be an indication of lacking enzymes or stomach acid.
Heartburn or in german called "sodbrennen" is also an indication for to much or to little stomach acid.

There are also some tests but idk how well they work (something with drinking lemon juice with water and see how long it takes to burp - you should google it i can't remember how they are called or work right now).

Enzyme, HCL and probiotics are all helpful supplements but unless they help you to absorb/assimilate nutrients and get you out of a vicious cycle ... they may just be a bandaid and not a cure. Thiamin deficiency, gut dysbiosis, parasites, emotional stress, hormonal issues etc. are points that are most likely causative for digestive issues.

I found this one interesting for example:

i Hope so bad that it will get me out of the visciois cycle.

Will have new blood tests in three weeks. When my copper again didn’t go up I’ll maybe have to give up.
But I hope I’m on the right path and get copper up and that this will fix my skin and hair issues. Hopefully my hair gets bit thicker too. No idea if realistic.

Ben.

... up I’ll maybe have to give up.

Dont you dare quitting! Trial and error my friend. See how the stuff works for you, with these tests and experiments, you'll get a better idea of what the problem is or isn't and you can start making conclusions based on that.

Will have new blood tests in three weeks. When my copper again didn’t go up I’ll maybe have to give up.
But I hope I’m on the right path and get copper up and that this will fix my skin and hair issues. Hopefully my hair gets bit thicker too. No idea if realistic.

There might be a reason for low copper but don't get discouraged by a number on a test. Find and do stuff that actually makes you feel better.
Some people feel like ***t eventough their blood work is fine so theres many variables other than the blood work to take into account.

OP
M

Motif

Dont you dare quitting! Trial and error my friend. See how the stuff works for you, with these tests and experiments, you'll get a better idea of what the problem is or isn't and you can start making conclusions based on that.

There might be a reason for low copper but don't get discouraged by a number on a test. Find and do stuff that actually makes you feel better.
Some people feel like ***t eventough their blood work is fine so theres many variables other than the blood work to take into account.

yeah, let’s wait what the tests say. They probably let me do a bunch of tests.

for the blood tests: should I stop all supplements days before or not? Same for bitters, encymes and hcl betaine?