Best antihistamines?

What should I go for ?

RP says caffeine, sugar & salt are good for histamines. I was on Claratin around the clock for 2 years until adding in those three things liberally. I no longer take Claratin. Coke works extremely well. RP has quoted a study where it was determined that chugging a Coke fast works better than an EpiPen.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
RP says caffeine, sugar & salt are good for histamines. I was on Claratin around the clock for 2 years until adding in those three things liberally. I no longer take Claratin. Coke works extremely well. RP has quoted a study where it was determined that chugging a Coke fast works better than an EpiPen.
I second that recommendation! I now drink a Coke with lunch or dinner as it also seems to help my digestion. Zyrtec is pretty good but any antihistamine will seem to give out after taking it for a long time. I find the 1st generation anti-histamine works best for occasional use. Also consider famotidine - the H2-blockers help if you suspect mast-cell issues.

I second that recommendation! I now drink a Coke with lunch or dinner as it also seems to help my digestion. Zyrtec is pretty good but any antihistamine will seem to give out after taking it for a long time. I find the 1st generation anti-histamine works best for occasional use. Also consider famotidine - the H2-blockers help if you suspect mast-cell issues.

The biggest reason I wanted off of anti-histamines, besides my heart was acting up from them and was a little scary, was because they were so drying to my skin and causing wrinkles around my eyes. Fortunately my skin bounced back for the most part, but not entirely, and it has been 3+ years off of them now.

OP
M

Motif

Doesn’t famotidine lower stomach acid ?
I think that’s the opposite of what I want

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Doesn’t famotidine lower stomach acid ?
I think that’s the opposite of what I want
Yes but oddly enough I don't notice any ill effects and my digestion seems pretty good. Other posts discuss the protective effect against COV. Often H1 and H2 antagonists are synergistic in their effects on histamine.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
The biggest reason I wanted off of anti-histamines, besides my heart was acting up from them and was a little scary, was because they were so drying to my skin and causing wrinkles around my eyes. Fortunately my skin bounced back for the most part, but not entirely, and it has been 3+ years off of them now.
Well I have some wrinkles on my outer cheeks but in general my skin tends to be a bit greasy no matter what I take. My heart does act up as I get brief spells of tachycardia - so maybe I'll try to get off the H1 antihistamines and see if it makes a difference. Glad you mentioned that!

Well I have some wrinkles on my outer cheeks but in general my skin tends to be a bit greasy no matter what I take. My heart does act up as I get brief spells of tachycardia - so maybe I'll try to get off the H1 antihistamines and see if it makes a difference. Glad you mentioned that!

I hope it is the solution!

tanya48

Coffee is what causes a histamine reaction in me. At least, I think it's histamine. I itch all over if I drink coffee, which I love by the way.

Coffee is what causes a histamine reaction in me. At least, I think it's histamine. I itch all over if I drink coffee, which I love by the way.

My son has a slight allergy to coffee, which showed up in his allergy test, but it doesn't bother him to drink it, probably because the allergy is so slight that the anti-histamine effect of the coffee covers the allergy. You may have a stronger allergy to coffee or if the coffee isn't organic you may be reacting to the pesticides they use growing the beans. A few years back inorganic coffee and potatoes were our most pesticide laden foods.

OP
M

Motif

You think ketotifen would do the same (wrinkles )?
I think there was a thread in the forum that talked about it to be preventive for wrinkles

tanya48

My son has a slight allergy to coffee, which showed up in his allergy test, but it doesn't bother him to drink it, probably because the allergy is so slight that the anti-histamine effect of the coffee covers the allergy. You may have a stronger allergy to coffee or if the coffee isn't organic you may be reacting to the pesticides they use growing the beans. A few years back inorganic coffee and potatoes were our most pesticide laden foods.
No, I only always drink organic and the purest coffee I can find. Been drinking it since I was 8 year old and I'm 73 now. Never any issues till now.

P

Peatness

Last edited by a moderator: