Best Anti-Serotonin Drug For Pain?

grenade

Serotonin has been implicated in various aspects of pain (a number of studies hve been posted to on the forum.)

Logically, an anti-serotonin drug could help individuals deal with chronic pain in the long run.

As someone who deals with joint pain that usually has no link to joint damage (e.g., for some time I had knee pain, and I had a positive result with a provocative meniscus tear diagnostic test, but my MRI showed a healthy knee ... pain has subsided many months later), this interests me.

What drug would work most effectively? And building on that, what serotonin receptors should be targeted to help with pain (because something like cypro antagonizes the 5HT2 receptor at low doses, whereas metergoline targets them all)?

Regina

Serotonin has been implicated in various aspects of pain (a number of studies hve been posted to on the forum.)

Logically, an anti-serotonin drug could help individuals deal with chronic pain in the long run.

As someone who deals with joint pain that usually has no link to joint damage (e.g., for some time I had knee pain, and I had a positive result with a provocative meniscus tear diagnostic test, but my MRI showed a healthy knee ... pain has subsided many months later), this interests me.

What drug would work most effectively? And building on that, what serotonin receptors should be targeted to help with pain (because something like cypro antagonizes the 5HT2 receptor at low doses, whereas metergoline targets them all)?
I'd try Kuinone for joint pain.
And, if you can, add Lapodin.
Cypro and metergoline are both great. I think cypro is more convenient because of the additional night-time sleep aid. :2cents:

milk_lover

Cypro and aspirin I think are good for pain in general. Cypro can lower dopamine though at moderate doses. So maybe take it with theanine or taurine or B6 or any dopamine boosting substance.

LUH 3417

The only thing that helps my recently developed joint pain is aspirin. Cypro appears to have no effect even though I've been taking it for ~3 months
What triggers your pain?
For me it's not sleeping well and over exerting myself. If you can stay on top of the triggers you'll be less likely to develop it.

I think serotonin lowers pain sensitivity?

By that logic if you have high seratonin you have a high pain threshold, is that what you mean?
Maybe it's the other way around? Seems ketanserin can actually raise the threshold if there is inflammation :pigeon: also some insects inject serotonin to cause pain...

Don't know how your diet is looking, but try pushing the protein to 150-200+grams a day, and maybe use up to 60++g gelatin or collagen. Could add a few grams of MSM and 100+mg hyaluronic acid.
I think with the added protein(bcaa's) it will lower serotonin down instead of needing a drug.
Aspirin helps myself with pain.
Of course getting a lot of the vitamins/minerals peat recommends.
Do some blood work if you have not and check hormone levels.

Dr Bernd Friedland follows a lot of Dr Peat.
I believe this interview he talks about the high dose collagen for someone with knee issues. Hope it's the right video.

Also, many athletes use peptides/proteins as well.

LUH 3417

Don't know how your diet is looking, but try pushing the protein to 150-200+grams a day, and maybe use up to 60++g gelatin or collagen. Could add a few grams of MSM and 100+mg hyaluronic acid.
I think with the added protein(bcaa's) it will lower serotonin down instead of needing a drug.

I believe this interview he talks about the high dose collagen for someone with knee issues. Hope it's the right video.

That's a really good point because usually my pain follows this sequence:

Don't eat enough protein -> feel like I'm running on stress hormones -> have restless sleep -> wake up with joint pain

OP
G

grenade

The only thing that helps my recently developed joint pain is aspirin. Cypro appears to have no effect even though I've been taking it for ~3 months
What triggers your pain?
For me it's not sleeping well and over exerting myself. If you can stay on top of the triggers you'll be less likely to develop it.

My pain is "triggered" by tweaks and twinges. I can move or do something, particularly when exercising, feel a mild-to-moderate sharp pain, and then it just lingers and slowly gets worse hntil everything bothers it. In the OP I mentioned my knee.. the condition got so bad that even walking would flare it up. Total rest and very slow reintroduction of movement (e.g., taking 6 months to squat my bodyweight **** to grass) was the only thing that seemed to directly fix it.

OP
G

grenade

I'd try Kuinone for joint pain.
And, if you can, add Lapodin.
Cypro and metergoline are both great. I think cypro is more convenient because of the additional night-time sleep aid. :2cents:

Hey Regina,

I ran out of Kuinone since the last time we discussed my experiment, but I'm getting more K2 soon. Thanks.

OP
G

grenade

I think serotonin lowers pain sensitivity?

By that logic if you have high seratonin you have a high pain threshold, is that what you mean?

Maybe it's the other way around? Seems ketanserin can actually raise the threshold if there is inflammation :pigeon: also some insects inject serotonin to cause pain...

It actually appears to work both ways ...

The complex role of serotonin and 5-HT receptors in chronic pain. - PubMed - NCBI

Serotonin in pain and analgesia: actions in the periphery. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
G

grenade

Protein is at 120-150 grams daily. I get most of it from milk plus glycine and taurine. I plan on switching to gelatin once my glycine runs out because I think gelatin's benefits aren't solely due to glycine.

I have blood work posted here: Joint Injuries, Low Waking Temps, Hair Loss

Prolactin: 22.9 (up from 11.4 since October)
Cholesterol: 137 (up from 112)
Triglycerides: 70 (up from 62)
Calcium: 9.8 (up from 9.0)
TSH: 1.1 (first ever test)
D: 50 (first test ever)
CO2: 23 (down from 26)
ALT/AST: 17 / 18 (versus 25 / 16 before)

My prolactin is very concerning. But I believe it shot up due to higher carb consumptio coming mostly from milk/sugar/bananas and higher caffeine consumption. More carbs and caffeine means you need more thiamine for proper carbohydrate metabolism, and I was getting only 2.3 mg on average daily. Prolactin may be a "protective" (emphasis on quotes) response to poor carb metabolism (prolactin apparently is inversely correlated with diabetes). Additionally, I had more stress, less outdoor time, *sigh*

SolRosenberg

Hope it doesn’t get the thread off subject but for pain I have found no equal to taking moderately high doses of serrapeptase on an empty stomach. It has been a godsend for me and almost everyone I’ve suggested it to has also reported dramatic effects. Have no idea whatsoever how taking it would affect serotonin levels but wanted to mention it.

koky

can anyone offer experience with meniscus - surgery, stem cell, rehab, or...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals