Best 5-lox inhibitor?

success23

What would be the best natural 5-lox? Is sylimarin in phytosome form a good one? Thanks.

JohnHafterson

I like ginger I think it's effects are very broad tackles so many things: histamine, serotonin, AT1 receptor blocker, anti-glycation, it's my go to for many things:

haidut

Forum Supporter
In addition to the comment above me, I would also add eugenol. It also inhibits COX, and is one of the few substances known to be such dual inhibitor and without much toxicity.

Dobbler

I like ginger I think it's effects are very broad tackles so many things: histamine, serotonin, AT1 receptor blocker, anti-glycation, it's my go to for many things:

Seems like i have to start eating ginger again... i always drop it after few days for some reason. Also this study implies it increases atleast one serotonin receptor Identification of serotonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists in ginger - PubMed

JohnHafterson

How would agonizing a serotonin receptor be a good thing, if serotonin is what we want to lower?
Don't know. I view things in their total benefits package. Ginger has too much going for it in terms of positives.

Cox/lox inhibitor, tlr4 endotoxin/lps amelioration, among many other things. It may have negatives for some people.

Haven't noticed any serotonergic feelings. It may actually be a serotonin antagonist in some situations. Context is key.

My gf was having some intense digestive issues from food after a meal I made her a strong ginger tea and it knocked it out.

It may be a serotonin antagonist in the right situation here it's noted to have an anti 5HT effect:

Dave Clark

I meant it as the only negative effect i have been able to found in studies
Got ya. I am a ginger fan. Works beautiful for my digestion, and when I test out all these natural things that are supposed to be anti-inflammatory, like curcumin, boswellia, etc., ginger CO2 extract works better {for me} than any of them. In Peat world, estrogen, serotonin, PUFA, etc., etc. aren't desirable, but since nothing is perfect, sometimes you have to take a little bad with the good if you want therapeutic effects. Ginger has a good track record for being health promoting, and recent studies show it has strong anti-cancer properties.

Mauritio

In addition to the comment above me, I would also add eugenol. It also inhibits COX, and is one of the few substances known to be such dual inhibitor and without much toxicity.
That's pretty important.
To quote travis:
Since inhibition of lipoxygenase increases prostaglandins and the inhibition of cyclooxygenase increases leukotrienes, the only two options are to inhibit both simultaneously or to eliminate ω−6 fatty acids entirely; I would strongly suggest doing the latter, and that more I read about them the more I tend to avoid them.

Seems like i have to start eating ginger again... i always drop it after few days for some reason. Also this study implies it increases atleast one serotonin receptor Identification of serotonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists in ginger - PubMed
This isnt necessarily a bad thing. 5ht1a is the autireceptor for serotonin and thus decreases serotonin output . I think it also increase dopamine.
How would agonizing a serotonin receptor be a good thing, if serotonin is what we want to lower?
?
The only bad thing about ginger is that its estrogenic. Other than that it has many amazing properties. In the hinalayian mountains everybody drinks ginger and lemon tea, sometimes a mix of those two , it helped me a lot when I was in high altitude .

Jam

Baicalein (chinese skullcap), NDGA (chaparral).