Berberine for SIBO

June

Hi anyone here take Berberine? I’m taking 2 pills three times a day for SIBO but i’m noticing that I am extremely hungry after taking it. Like hungry to the point I can’t sleep at night. Blood sugar drops, heart palpitates and finding it hard to take in a breath. I heard it lowers blood sugar causing malabsorption. Is there a way to prevent this while taking it. I hope I didnt do any damage. I really dont know if I can handle these side effects. But it’s been so effective till now. I’m taking Allicin also but im sure its the berberine causing this discomfort. Thanks.

EasyPeaty

Hi! @June Which SIBO? I tested positive for Hydrogen SIBO and took 3 different pills 3x a day; oregano oil, Neem and berberine (before eating meals). I heard 1,500 mg max of Berberine a day is an appropriate amount. At first, I had some issues (diarrhea), but they subsided. Also, I thought it wasn’t meant for long term use??? I only took those #3 pills at meals (daily) for 6-weeks. I did a few things before taking Berberine (according to my Naturopathic Doctor Protocol). When I later re-tested for SIBO, it was negative/gone. Overall I worked on slaying SIBO for 3 months, then did a lifestyle change (Peatarian) and SIBO never came back.

OP
J

June

Hi! @June Which SIBO? I tested positive for Hydrogen SIBO and took 3 different pills 3x a day; oregano oil, Neem and berberine (before eating meals). I heard 1,500 mg max of Berberine a day is an appropriate amount. At first, I had some issues (diarrhea), but they subsided. Also, I thought it wasn’t meant for long term use??? I only took those #3 pills at meals (daily) for 6-weeks. I did a few things before taking Berberine (according to my Naturopathic Doctor Protocol). When I later re-tested for SIBO, it was negative/gone. Overall I worked on slaying SIBO for 3 months, then did a lifestyle change (Peatarian) and SIBO never came back.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I also tried the same herbs you tried. I think my problem stems from digestion. As in, I have none. So I can keep eradicating it but it comes back since there's no force to keep it in check. Is your digestion normal? It's odd, berberine doesn't cause diarrhea for me. This makes me wonder if it's too alkaline and causing me constipation. But then again, why didn't I experience diarrhea from die off??? My body is confusing.

EasyPeaty

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I also tried the same herbs you tried. I think my problem stems from digestion. As in, I have none. So I can keep eradicating it but it comes back since there's no force to keep it in check. Is your digestion normal? It's odd, berberine doesn't cause diarrhea for me. This makes me wonder if it's too alkaline and causing me constipation. But then again, why didn't I experience diarrhea from die off??? My body is confusing.
No worries- schedules can be full from time to time :)

Sorry to hear about the digestive challenges. Did you test positive for hydrogen or methane SIBO?

I just remembered- the first part of the protocol was THREE weeks of no eating human food. Basically no chewing or digestion- it’s called the Elemental Diet and it killed a lot of bad bugs (lots of die off and running to the bathroom 10x per day- no exaggeration). I had rashes, brain fog, lethargy, bloating and constant diarrhea. Then at the end of the 3-weeks, I was on SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet- from the book Breaking the Vicious cycle). Then I started the pills mentioned above after the 3-week of no eating.

About 3-weeks into the SCD, I noticed I had regular BM (diarrhea subsided), rashes went away and brain fog lifted- remarkably the bloating was down and so was the inflammation in my body. From the time I tested SIBO positive to the 3-months later when I tested negative, I lost 25+ pounds. I was blown away.

After the pills regimen, I took Iberogast at night (for migrating motor complex) and digestive enzymes with food, plus a daily probiotic.
Again, today everything works great. Although, I live a Peaty life and when eating, I do not drink any liquid until 20 min after my meal/ chew food thoroughly/ eat peacefully and not when angry or frustrated, take an enzyme with my biggest meal/ no PUFA, occasionally eat out (mostly home cook) and eat fresh or eat minimal left over food (due to high histamine). I do a carrot salad daily (for digestion) and do the white button mushrooms (for digestion and so that I breakdown excess estrogen). I also drink alcohol maybe 1x per month or not (it’s a toxin). Plus I do a coffee Enema weekly (for the past year), get daily sunshine, walk after a big meal, exercise regularly, daily castor oil pack over my liver, and sauna 2-4x per week.

With all that dedication to optimize my health and gut - I feel pretty awesome and have zero digestive issues.

Not sure if my story helps you - but I heard SIBO has a boomerang effect, so for me I wanted to eradicate it forever.

Here’s a link to a Dr that put out some great SIBO content:

AlisonG

No worries- schedules can be full from time to time :)

Sorry to hear about the digestive challenges. Did you test positive for hydrogen or methane SIBO?

I just remembered- the first part of the protocol was THREE weeks of no eating human food. Basically no chewing or digestion- it’s called the Elemental Diet and it killed a lot of bad bugs (lots of die off and running to the bathroom 10x per day- no exaggeration). I had rashes, brain fog, lethargy, bloating and constant diarrhea. Then at the end of the 3-weeks, I was on SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet- from the book Breaking the Vicious cycle). Then I started the pills mentioned above after the 3-week of no eating.

About 3-weeks into the SCD, I noticed I had regular BM (diarrhea subsided), rashes went away and brain fog lifted- remarkably the bloating was down and so was the inflammation in my body. From the time I tested SIBO positive to the 3-months later when I tested negative, I lost 25+ pounds. I was blown away.

After the pills regimen, I took Iberogast at night (for migrating motor complex) and digestive enzymes with food, plus a daily probiotic.
Again, today everything works great. Although, I live a Peaty life and when eating, I do not drink any liquid until 20 min after my meal/ chew food thoroughly/ eat peacefully and not when angry or frustrated, take an enzyme with my biggest meal/ no PUFA, occasionally eat out (mostly home cook) and eat fresh or eat minimal left over food (due to high histamine). I do a carrot salad daily (for digestion) and do the white button mushrooms (for digestion and so that I breakdown excess estrogen). I also drink alcohol maybe 1x per month or not (it’s a toxin). Plus I do a coffee Enema weekly (for the past year), get daily sunshine, walk after a big meal, exercise regularly, daily castor oil pack over my liver, and sauna 2-4x per week.

With all that dedication to optimize my health and gut - I feel pretty awesome and have zero digestive issues.

Not sure if my story helps you - but I heard SIBO has a boomerang effect, so for me I wanted to eradicate it forever.

Here’s a link to a Dr that put out some great SIBO content:

Wow! This is an inspirational regimen, Easy Peaty! I'm thrilled that this worked for you. Could I ask for your dose-size on the oregano oil, neem and berberine you took before meals for 6 weeks? As well as how much time did you take them before the meal?
I've had SIBO and IBS for many years and am really interested in getting it resolved!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals