Benzodiazepines Are The New Wave Of Ppi Drugs

haidut

Forum Supporter
Quite a few members of the forum have had experience with proton pump inhibitors (PPI) and have experienced first hand their horrible side effects. Here is a short sample of what people are experiencing while taking one of the well-known PPI drugs:

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... e=PRILOSEC

The good news is that there is a new class of PPIs about to be released and they actually act like benzodiazepines (e.g. agonists of the GABAa "receptor").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidazopyridine

So, presumably one can get relief from stomach troubles by taking some Valium/Xanax or better yet niacinamide, which we know is a potent benzodiazepine itself and perhaps more importantly, has been shown to be a direct agonist of the GABAa "receptor" with potency of 500mg niacinamide comparable to a standard dose of diazepam. So, if you are taking the old PPI drugs, which are absolute poison, you can throw them away and get yourself some niacinamide instead.

aguilaroja

haidut said:
... presumably one can get relief from stomach troubles by taking some Valium/Xanax or better yet niacinamide, which... has been shown to be a direct agonist of the GABAa "receptor"...

There are multiple reasons to be cautious about proton pump inhibitors (PPI's). But few associations in the chain here are not so strong AFAIK. Tenatoprazole in the only imidazopyridine listed as a proton pump inhibitor. AFAIK, Tenatoprazole is neither in full human clinical trials or available as a prescription medication. It seems difficult to find reports of reflux relief from other imidazopyridines.

There is some literature somewhat supportive of the GABA_B agonist baclofen being of some use in GI reflux issues. Many pharmaceuticals have GABA agonist-type actions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_agonist

Surely, at least tens of millions of people worldwide are using pharmaceuticals in these categories. Others are using nutrients with GABA augmenting effects. AFAIK, reports of extra benefits of reflux/heartburn/ulcer relief from most of these agents are few.

It is useful to look for effective alternatives to PPI use. There may be plenty of reasons to support GABA-ergic functions in metabolism. Niacinamide may have merit for GABA function support and other reasons. There seems more to sort out in understanding what reflux/GERD is from the view of impaired metabolism, and how best to relieve it.
--
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25230154

Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014 Nov;40(10):1230-40. doi: 10.1111/apt.12956. Epub 2014 Sep 17.
Effects of baclofen on the functional anatomy of the oesophago-gastric junction and proximal stomach in healthy volunteers and patients with GERD assessed by magnetic resonance imaging and high-resolution manometry: a randomised controlled double-blind study.
Curcic J1, Schwizer A, Kaufman E, Forras-Kaufman Z, Banerjee S, Pal A, Hebbard GS, Boesiger P, Fried M, Steingoetter A, Schwizer W, Fox M.

Sheila

Dear Haidut
Would you kindly elucidate more on niacinamide acting as a benzodiazapene please?
Does it assist with insomnia and, if so, how?
Excuse me if this has been discussed before, I did search but could not find anything useful.
I have seen valium assist with migraine-related stomach issues (which seem serotonin related anyway) so interested in the whole concept of how niacinamide (along with the usual other dietary requirements adequate protein etc) might work also.
I tried 500mg last night with my milk and 2 tblsp of sugar and hardly slept a wink which is unusual. Could be many factors here and/or I am undoubtedly missing something re use in this manner.
Thank you for your time.
Sheila

Sheila

Haidut!
Excuse the fact that I am also obviously myopic, I found this as soon as I hit 'post'!!
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3585 [Research on niacinamide and benzo...]
I will read this and come back if I have further questions, sorry.
Sheila

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Sheila

Haidut
You are most kind, thank you.
If I get any important results, I will post again.
Sheila

Barry Obummer

Has anyone had any luck with this? I have Cold hands/feet, chronic high adrenaline type symptoms, Acid reflux, probably hypochlorhydria. I was thinking of just getting niacin. It's easy and dirt cheap so I thought it would be worth a try. Perhaps warm up the hands so I can bust out the guitar :cool:.

Is Vitamin B3 Dependency a Causal Factor in the Development of Hypochlorhydria and Achlorhydria? - Jonathan E. Prousky, B.P.H.E., B.Sc., N.D.
"Is Vitamin B3 Dependency a Causal Factor in the Development of Hypochlorhydria and Achlorhydria?"

Luann

Any of you guys had experience with Adivan? Is it the nightmare drug it's said to be?

Shrimp

Any of you guys had experience with Adivan? Is it the nightmare drug it's said to be?
I take Ativan (generic lorazepam) as needed in doses from 0.25mg to 1mg, usually once or twice a month. It does tend to make me feel out of it/groggy and I sometimes have short term memory loss if I take the 1mg dose, but it really stops panic attacks in a way that things like niacinamide and L-theanine can't. Sometimes it can take an hour to kick in depending on if I've eaten or not, so I find it works best if taken at the first inkling that an attack is coming on. I think it is very safe if taken only as needed and not on a regular basis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I take Ativan (generic lorazepam) as needed in doses from 0.25mg to 1mg, usually once or twice a month. It does tend to make me feel out of it/groggy and I sometimes have short term memory loss if I take the 1mg dose, but it really stops panic attacks in a way that things like niacinamide and L-theanine can't. Sometimes it can take an hour to kick in depending on if I've eaten or not, so I find it works best if taken at the first inkling that an attack is coming on. I think it is very safe if taken only as needed and not on a regular basis.

Anxiety is a very common symptom of lowered brain activity of cytochrome C activity. Have you tried low dose methylene blue?

Barry Obummer

A page I bookmarked from years ago just popped in my head.

Panic Disorder and Gastroesophageal Reflux
"It is my opinion, based on endoscopy and 24 hour gastric and esophageal pH studies that the gastrointestinal problems, so very common in panic disorder are a result of abnormal bile flow. Cholecystokinin (CCK) has long been known as a central nervous system neurotransmitter involved in anxiety. CCK is even better known as the primary regulator of bile flow, usually stimulated by food entering the GI tract. Abnormal bile flow backwards (refluxing) into the stomach is caustic and quickly causes bile gastritis. Bile is alkaline, and the stomach demands an acidic environment. When bile refluxes into the stomach, the stomach secretes acid in an attempt to neutralize the bile. Unfortunately bile is sticky and does not mix easily with stomach acid and often copious amounts of acid are produced causing bloating and increasing pressure on the gastroesophageal junction. This increased pressure causes gastroesophageal reflux. This reflux can manifest as heartburn, sinusitis or aspiration asthma or laryngitis. If the bile flows down the intestines, it is irritating and rapidly pushed through the intestines ?so rapidly that fecal incontinence can result.
The abnormality of bile flow in panic has been published and presented at a peer reviewed American College of Gastroenterology meeting as well as a peer reviewed article in the International Journal of Psychosomatics. The clinical effects of this abnormality have not been formally published and are not well known by most clinicians.
Psychiatrists do not tend to associate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) with panic and usually defer treatment to internists who typically consider the problem to be primary hypersecretion of acid. Prescription of a H2 receptor blocker is most common (Tagamet, Zantac, Axid, Pepsid) and this does help somewhat, however the primary stimulus for reflux, the bile in the stomach, is a stronger stimulus for acid secretion than the H2 receptor blockade can handle. Another approach is to use a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec or Prevacid) which pretty much shuts down the mechanism by which acid is secreted. Unfortunately the caustic bile continues to cause gastritis.
My approach involves 1) use of alprazolam as a CCK antagonist (we have documented the potent CCK antagonism of alprazolam) to inhibit bile secretion. We have found that dosages as low as 0.5 mg before sleep can work, or 0.5 mg 45 minutes before meals and at bedtime 2) use of Carafate ?a substance that binds with the bile salts rendering them less alkaline and much less caustic as well as to adhere to damaged mucosa forming a "bandage" and promoting healing of the damaged tissue and 3) use of a proton pump inhibitor to reduce acid secretion which can also occur on the basis of bile gastritis.
Most doctors feel that Carafate is not of much use in GERD or IBS and this is probably true unless these problems are a part of the panic disorder syndrome. Carafate is an extremely benign medication that coats the stomach and esophagus but is virtually unabsorbed into the system. It can interfere with absorption of some other medications, but not the psychotropics or proton pump inhibitors. I use Carafate 30 to 45 minutes before meals (1 gram) and two grams before sleep, the time when the most bile is secreted. Results with Carafate in addition to the other agents mentioned, or use of Carafate alone suggest that it is of major importance in the treatment of panic disorder related GERD (sinusitis, heartburn, aspiration) or IBS with prominent bile related diarrhea and fecal incontinence.
Author's Bio:
Stuart Shipko, M.D. is a psychiatrist and neurologist"

Barry Obummer

P.S. alprazolam is a Benzo

Makrosky

I have tried sublingual alprazolam a few times in very sporadic ocasions and I also have experimented with niacinamide. The anxiolytic potency if niacinamide is a joke compared to a benzo like alprazolam. FWIW. I'm not dismissing niacinamide btw, it's a very good substance.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have tried sublingual alprazolam a few times in very sporadic ocasions and I also have experimented with niacinamide. The anxiolytic potency if niacinamide is a joke compared to a benzo like alprazolam. FWIW. I'm not dismissing niacinamide btw, it's a very good substance.

Try 3g - 5g glycine with 10mg - 30mg pregnenolone. You will see that alprazolam can also be made to look like a joke :): Inosine and niacinamide are functional benzodiazepines and if taken in high enough doses actually bind to the "receptor" as full agonists and can displace even alprazolam from binding. The displacement probably wont happen unless you are taking 4g+ niacinamide in a single dose, which is probably not advisable, but combining 1g niacinamide with say 1g inosine will achieve the same effect pretty safely.

Barry Obummer

A page I bookmarked from years ago just popped in my head.

Panic Disorder and Gastroesophageal Reflux
"It is my opinion, based on endoscopy and 24 hour gastric and esophageal pH studies that the gastrointestinal problems, so very common in panic disorder are a result of abnormal bile flow. Cholecystokinin (CCK) has long been known as a central nervous system neurotransmitter involved in anxiety. CCK is even better known as the primary regulator of bile flow, usually stimulated by food entering the GI tract. Abnormal bile flow backwards (refluxing) into the stomach is caustic and quickly causes bile gastritis. Bile is alkaline, and the stomach demands an acidic environment. When bile refluxes into the stomach, the stomach secretes acid in an attempt to neutralize the bile. Unfortunately bile is sticky and does not mix easily with stomach acid and often copious amounts of acid are produced causing bloating and increasing pressure on the gastroesophageal junction. This increased pressure causes gastroesophageal reflux. This reflux can manifest as heartburn, sinusitis or aspiration asthma or laryngitis. If the bile flows down the intestines, it is irritating and rapidly pushed through the intestines ?so rapidly that fecal incontinence can result.
The abnormality of bile flow in panic has been published and presented at a peer reviewed American College of Gastroenterology meeting as well as a peer reviewed article in the International Journal of Psychosomatics. The clinical effects of this abnormality have not been formally published and are not well known by most clinicians.
Psychiatrists do not tend to associate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) with panic and usually defer treatment to internists who typically consider the problem to be primary hypersecretion of acid. Prescription of a H2 receptor blocker is most common (Tagamet, Zantac, Axid, Pepsid) and this does help somewhat, however the primary stimulus for reflux, the bile in the stomach, is a stronger stimulus for acid secretion than the H2 receptor blockade can handle. Another approach is to use a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec or Prevacid) which pretty much shuts down the mechanism by which acid is secreted. Unfortunately the caustic bile continues to cause gastritis.
My approach involves 1) use of alprazolam as a CCK antagonist (we have documented the potent CCK antagonism of alprazolam) to inhibit bile secretion. We have found that dosages as low as 0.5 mg before sleep can work, or 0.5 mg 45 minutes before meals and at bedtime 2) use of Carafate ?a substance that binds with the bile salts rendering them less alkaline and much less caustic as well as to adhere to damaged mucosa forming a "bandage" and promoting healing of the damaged tissue and 3) use of a proton pump inhibitor to reduce acid secretion which can also occur on the basis of bile gastritis.
Most doctors feel that Carafate is not of much use in GERD or IBS and this is probably true unless these problems are a part of the panic disorder syndrome. Carafate is an extremely benign medication that coats the stomach and esophagus but is virtually unabsorbed into the system. It can interfere with absorption of some other medications, but not the psychotropics or proton pump inhibitors. I use Carafate 30 to 45 minutes before meals (1 gram) and two grams before sleep, the time when the most bile is secreted. Results with Carafate in addition to the other agents mentioned, or use of Carafate alone suggest that it is of major importance in the treatment of panic disorder related GERD (sinusitis, heartburn, aspiration) or IBS with prominent bile related diarrhea and fecal incontinence.
Author's Bio:
Stuart Shipko, M.D. is a psychiatrist and neurologist"

Thats pretty interesting, I think that is the source of my gastro problems.

Barry Obummer

Thats pretty interesting, I think that is the source of my gastro problems.
I wonder if THC is also a CCK antagonist. If you can get it legally it's a better choice for long-term use than Xanax. I wonder if Niacin is a CCK antagonist. I did a quick search but its all in martian language. Not that there's anything wrong with being a martian. :D

I wonder if THC is also a CCK antagonist. If you can get it legally it's a better choice for long-term use than Xanax. I wonder if Niacin is a CCK antagonist. I did a quick search but its all in martian language. Not that there's anything wrong with being a martian. :D

THC has negative effects l on digestion for me. I wish it was the ticket tho.
And of all peaty supplements, im most suspicious of niacinamide.

I think the gallbladder becomes resistant to CCK because it keeps taking more and more to stimulate it . Kind of like insulin resistance.
Antagonizing CCK may only offer temporary relief untill the gallbladder is functioning right again.